Samsung galaxy s3 mini smashed screen

Bernard_Doyle1Bernard_Doyle1 Posts: 67
Forum Member
Hi

I have an s3 mini ans accidentally dropped the phone resulting in a smashed screen.

I still have 12 months left on my contract so went into carphone warehouse to see what they could do.

I have been quoted £169 to have it repaired. Im sure there must be another option.

Any advice please. I'm based in the Liverpool area

Many thanks

Comments

• kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

I have an s3 mini ans accidentally dropped the phone resulting in a smashed screen.

I still have 12 months left on my contract so went into carphone warehouse to see what they could do.

I have been quoted £169 to have it repaired. Im sure there must be another option.

Many thanks

You could either find a 'market store' repairer who will do it a lot cheaper. Look for one that has a regular pitch as they will not be doing a runner anytime do on.

Or you could order a screen off the internet and do it yourself. There are usually instructional videos available (YouTube) to guide you through it.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The amoled screens on samsung devices are a lot more expensive to fix than regular LCD screens. My OH smashed his iPhone screen a few years ago and he paid about £40 to have it replaced. The guy who fixed it told us that had it been my galaxy note it would have cost close to £200 to fix. He advised us to get insurance for it (which I had) . That seems to be the going rate. I've seen signs in shops where they quote the price to replace screens and the Samsung galaxy screens are always £100+

I know someone who smashed his S2 screen and paid & £180 to have it replaced.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you fit a cheap IPS screen?

AMOLED screens are not a commodity which is a negative when they break.
  • Peter_CarlosPeter_Carlos Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Hi

Many thanks

Well, I don't think there's any other best option than that you need to replace the smashed screen. Try heading out over the local vendors and see if they can bring the device back in the working condition by paying less. :cry:
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One can get a new phone for as low as £125.99 at Amazon.
  • mark_bmark_b Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem is that the glass is glued to the LCD making it very tricky to replace without running a real risk of breaking the LCD as well. For this reason, most repair shops will replace the glass and LCD as an all-in-one component which is why it is so expensive.

Given that the repair can cost as much as a new phone and the glass alone can be bought on Ebay for a few pounds, you could attempt a repair yourself with the view that if you fail, you still have to shell out for a new phone anyway. There are plenty of videos on Youtube showing how it's done.