How do you make homemade potato wedges?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,233
Forum Member
Just after reading someone saying they were having home made potato wedges it got me wondering how on earth to make them! ?

Can someone quickly help me please as I was planning on making the OH and I some nice sirloin steaks for tea with chips n veg but I think potato wedges would go down better with him cos he's not really a chip person lol

Any quick tips please? (((as simple as can be !!)))

Comments

• ShuttermazeShuttermaze Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    Just after reading someone saying they were having home made potato wedges it got me wondering how on earth to make them! ?

Can someone quickly help me please as I was planning on making the OH and I some nice sirloin steaks for tea with chips n veg but I think potato wedges would go down better with him cos he's not really a chip person lol

Any quick tips please? (((as simple as can be !!)))

:D

Ok.. here's how I do them.

Pre-heat the oven, at about 200degrees.

Scrub your potatoes, then slice em down the middle. Boil them for about 10 mins, then drain the pan, and dry them off. Cut into wedges,

Put them in a bowl and drizzle them with a little olive oil. Just enough to give them a covering. Season them with salt and pepper. You could also use some onion salt or garlic salt if you like. I'm going to make mine tonight with a covering of chilli powder to spice em up a bit.

Give them a good shake about in the bowl, and turn onto a baking tray. Add more seasoning and flavouring if you like to ensure a good covering.

Cook in the oven for about 30 mins. Keep checking on them, as depending on the size of the wedges, they might cook quicker, or take longer if the wedges are larger in size.

Serve with your steak, and enjoy!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,233
    Forum Member
    Ah thank you soooo much!!!!

I'm on this roll at the moment of making everything on my own and relying less and less on pre-packed ready made things.
    Pretty much enjoying it!

Will let you know how it goes :D

BTW - is the 10 min boil standard for most sizes of potatoes?
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/oven-roasted-chunky-chips,1134,RC.html

Ingredients

2 lb (900 g) Desirée potatoes
    1 dessertspoon olive oil
    salt

Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 8, 450°F (230°C).

You will also need a solid baking tray measuring approximately 16 x 11 inches (40 x 28 cm).

Oven-roasted Chunky Chips

First wash the potatoes very thoroughly, then dry in a clean tea cloth – they need to be as dry as possible; if they're ready-washed, just wipe them with kitchen paper. Leaving the peel on, slice them in half lengthways and then cut them again lengthways into chunky wedges approximately 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick. Dry them again in a cloth, then place them in a large bowl with the oil and a sprinkling of salt. Now toss them around a few times to get them well covered with the oil, then spread them out on the baking tray and place in the oven on a high shelf to roast for about 30 minutes. They should be golden brown and crisp after this time; if not, give them a few more minutes. Finely sprinkle with a little more salt, then serve absolutely immediately.
    Forum Member
    Ah thank you soooo much!!!!

I'm on this roll at the moment of making everything on my own and relying less and less on pre-packed ready made things.
    Pretty much enjoying it!

Will let you know how it goes :D

Well, it's what I tend to stick too, and it always seems ok for me. Don't leave them to boil for too long or the peel will start to come away. Mind you, it works just as well with peeled potatoes too, so the skin isn't always necessary.

Hope they come out ok. You can use any seasoning you like really, And if you've got flavoured Olive Oil, then you can use that instead of the normal variety. Though you'd only need the salt & pepper seasoning then really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,388
    Forum Member
    I dont boil mine first. I just give 'em a good scrub, & slice into wedges. In a mixing bowl I add olive oil, salt, pepper, dried ground chillies, ground cumin, coriander, paprika & a few drops of tabasco... give it all a good mix round, bung in the wedges & mix round with a spoon til they are all well coated. Pour all onto a baking tray & cook @ about 200C for about 45mins.

I also like to add a few wedges of sweet potato - just for variety.

Yum yum yummy :)
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do them a similar way to Shuttermaze. The main difference is I cut them into wedges before boiling for 5 minutes. I then drain and give the pan a shake to rough 'em up a bit. Don't worry if the skins start peeling away a bit, they crisp up beautifully and are the best bit! While still warm I toss them in olive oil, sea salt and black pepper. I do them for about 45 minutes at 180 fan, turning once. As others have said you can use any flavouring you want. I use either garlic powder, cumin seeds, Italian seasoning, chilli etc.
    Apart from the par boiling I give oven chips the same treatment, it makes all the difference.
    BTW, anyone tried the new beer battered oven chips from McCain? Can't be very good for you but as a treat I think they are bloody delightful!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    >%...

That's how long I usually give them, but don't boil them too hard or they'll break up in the pan, bring up to the boil then reduce to a gentle simmer/ light boil :)
  • mummypiggetmummypigget Posts: 12,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Scrub your potatoes, then slice em down the middle. Boil them for about 10 mins, then drain the pan, and dry them off. Cut into wedges,

Put them in a bowl and drizzle them with a little olive oil. Just enough to give them a covering. Season them with salt and pepper. You could also use some onion salt or garlic salt if you like. I'm going to make mine tonight with a covering of chilli powder to spice em up a bit.

Give them a good shake about in the bowl, and turn onto a baking tray. Add more seasoning and flavouring if you like to ensure a good covering.

Cook in the oven for about 30 mins. Keep checking on them, as depending on the size of the wedges, they might cook quicker, or take longer if the wedges are larger in size.

That's how I do 'em, I also add paprika :D
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    If you want Southern type wedges then brush with oil or water and sprinkle/roll in Cajun spice.

A tip for a crispy skin is to coat them in polenta/cornmeal.
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do them a similar way to Shuttermaze. The main difference is I cut them into wedges before boiling for 5 minutes. I then drain and give the pan a shake to rough 'em up a bit. Don't worry if the skins start peeling away a bit, they crisp up beautifully and are the best bit! While still warm I toss them in olive oil, sea salt and black pepper. I do them for about 45 minutes at 180 fan, turning once. As others have said you can use any flavouring you want. I use either garlic powder, cumin seeds, Italian seasoning, chilli etc.
    Apart from the par boiling I give oven chips the same treatment, it makes all the difference.
    BTW, anyone tried the new beer battered oven chips from McCain? Can't be very good for you but as a treat I think they are bloody delightful!

Right you lot, I did them tonight and all agreed they were the best wedges they'd ever had! Just do it. (As they say on planet Nike).:cool:
    Forum Member
    Well before I came back and read some more replies I went ahead and peeled the potatoes :o
    But I followed the instructions Shuttermaze gave me and they were DELISH! :D
    The OH was loving them too. I used fresh ground black peppercorns and a wee bit salt and added a teeny bit of chilli powder to give that bit of spice.

And they really were gorgeous!
    What a great way to save money also! I only used about 5 potatoes and that was loads for the two of us

Tasted great dipped in our Creamy Peppercorn sauce too!

Thanks all
    Forum Member
    Well before I came back and read some more replies I went ahead and peeled the potatoes :o
    But I followed the instructions Shuttermaze gave me and they were DELISH! :D
    The OH was loving them too. I used fresh ground black peppercorns and a wee bit salt and added a teeny bit of chilli powder to give that bit of spice.

And they really were gorgeous!
    What a great way to save money also! I only used about 5 potatoes and that was loads for the two of us

Tasted great dipped in our Creamy Peppercorn sauce too!

Thanks all

:D Glad they came out ok Sweetie, they're so much tastier than shop brought ones aren't they.
    I only ever keep a bag of chips in the freezer for really lazy days or when I'm not well. Other than that, it's home made ones all the time. Lully!! Ohh... see if you can get hold of some celery salt. The potatoes taste absolutely lovely with a sprinkle of that on them too.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Funny ..... I do mine the same :D:D
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't need to parboil them.....wash/scrub.....dry them.....cut them into quarters...throw them in a big bowl....add olive oil....garlic....dried mixed herbs...salt and pepper....shake them all up.

Place in oven until golden...ta daaaaaaaaaaa.:D
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm another for dont par-boil. As long as they are cooked right in the oven.
    Forum Member
    I love you lot! :D

I'm dying to go make more now lol
  • QuickbloodQuickblood Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parboiling them is really an unnecessary step imo. I also hit mine with some plain flour so they get that crispy coating and a touch of chilli powder and serve them with something creamy like mayo or sour cream and chive dip.