Options

Problem with Sky+ box

gerturdeannagerturdeanna Posts: 17
Forum Member
Hi

I've come asking advice please.
We've had Sky+ for just over a year now and have recieved calls and letters asking us to 'renew' our warranty etc etc, we declined.
Since then, for about 3 weeks, we've had numerous problems with the box. For example, missing recordings, removing series links, freezing whilst watching recordings and most frequently, turning itself off!

Today, we were watching the TV normally, tried to change the channel but the remote wasn't 'telling' the box what to do - tried pressing TV and then Sky on the remote - nothing.
Turned it off at the box for 30secs and tried to turn back on, nothing, unpugged for 30mins and plugged back in, tried to turn it on and nothing - the red light is on showing standby but nothing is happening!

Kids are off school on snow day and are getting restless!! Please help!!

I've got a Amstrad DRX280 if that helps....does anyone think the fact that its now over a year old and these problems are linked?

TIA

Gert x

Comments

• Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, most Digiboxes last at least a year before the problems begin. Have you "cooked" your Digibox by locking it in a hot cabinet in a hot room, and placed something on top of it? That will greatly shorten its life. It needs to be on an open shelf.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly the warranties are a bit of a con, you did the right thing. I've had a box running for six years without a single call out, it's just sods luck.

You should try the following:

cable check
    Turn off at the mains for 15 minutes (so electronic protection can recover) disconnect both dish leads, but do not reconnect them yet.

platelet: I'd also unplug the phone cable while you do this

Power up and see what happens.

If it works OK after you have done the above, then it could be a short on one of the connectors either on the dish end of the cable or on the other end where they screw into the Sky box that could be causing the fault.

If it works OK after doing the above then check the connectors that screw into the back of your Sky box, to see if any of the copper braiding is touching the inner copper core, if it is then this could be causing the problem.

To expose the copper braiding and the centre copper core you will need to pull down the metal screw on connector, if there is any braiding touching you would then need to pull the copper braiding down off of the copper core, do the same with the other connector too, but make sure you do not drag any of the copper braiding back on to the copper inner core while re-positioning the metal screw on connector.

If the problem still remains then it could be a short on the cable/connector at the dish end of the cable.

software update
    1. Press and hold the Backup button on the digibox.
    2. Whilst still holding the Backup button, switch the power off at the wall socket, or unplug the plug.
    3. Wait around 15 seconds.
    4. Turn the power back on while holding down the Backup button
    5. An on-screen message should appear and/or all lights on the front of the box will light up.
    6. Release the Backup button.
    7. The latest software update should take around 10 minutes to download.
    8. The box will reset it self an go to standby made.
    9. After a few more minutes, use the box as normal and the software update should be complete.

full system reset
    [highlight]this is a last resort - you'll lose any recorded programs[/highlight]
    Unplug the Sky box at the mains
    Press the left and right navigation buttons on the front of the box whilst plugging into the mains again. Do NOT release the buttons until the green Play light comes on ~ 30secs.
    Press Select. The play light will then rotate clockwise for about three minutes whilst the box resets itself. The box will go into Standby.
    Leave for 2-3 minutes whilst the hard drive reformats and then proceed as normal.

If all these fail or you're not comfortable trying them, call sky. They'll talk you through a few things probably all of the above, if they can't get it fixed they'll send an engineer who will replace the box (with a refurb one). They'll charge you £65 for this (last I checked) and give it a three month warranty.

If any of these work, I'd suggest going in and turning anytime off and setting the instand rewind to off (zero minutes) as it will put less strain on the hard disk

for further help another forum you could use is www avforums com with .. in the appropriate places
  • Options
    gerturdeannagerturdeanna Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the help and advice.

I tried two of the above suggestions and then called Sky who advised me I was still in my warranty until 10feb (so if I get anymore problems in the next few weeks, I'm going to demand a new box!!) Anyway they suggested a full system restore - so I've done that and so have now lost my stored recordings but at least I've now got tv!
    And they've given me free movies for 2 months.
  • Options
    ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuck in standby, cured by a full system reset (HDD re format) usually suggests the HDD is on it's last legs.

Let's hope it fails again before your warranty expires.