Rock and Chips.

James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
Forum Member
Just rewatching this on GOLD and wondering how can someone who wrote one of the best things to ever hit TV make such a cock up based on the show he wrote for almost 30 years.

The continuity is so bad it makes Red Dwarf’s look good for example Rodney was supposed to be born when Del was 12-13 and the death of Joan and Reg running off happened when Del was 16 that was always a major plot point that Del was 16 when he had to take over but Rock and Chips doesn’t even start until Del is 16+ and Rodney is not even born.

The acting is so bad it’s laughable the James Buckley is an awful actor I swear they could have thrown a tennis ball into a crowed street and found someone better and the rest of them are no better they don’t even resemble in looks or personality the characters they are supposed to be representing.

When I first heard the idea of Del Boy The Early Years I thought it could be great and it a great idea just very badly executed.

Comments

• TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oddly, I enjoyed R & C.....
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    Just rewatching this on GOLD and wondering how can someone who wrote one of the best things to ever hit TV make such a cock up based on the show he wrote for almost 30 years.

The continuity is so bad it makes Red Dwarf’s look good for example Rodney was supposed to be born when Del was 12-13 and the death of Joan and Reg running off happened when Del was 16 that was always a major plot point that Del was 16 when he had to take over but Rock and Chips doesn’t even start until Del is 16+ and Rodney is not even born.

The acting is so bad it’s laughable the James Buckley is an awful actor I swear they could have thrown a tennis ball into a crowed street and found someone better and the rest of them are no better they don’t even resemble in looks or personality the characters they are supposed to be representing.

When I first heard the idea of Del Boy The Early Years I thought it could be great and it a great idea just very badly executed.

The guy is dead show some respect.
  • PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed Rock and Chips too. I can't defend it on the basis of continuity errors in relation to Only Fools because I'm not that much of a fan that I'd know what they were but then again perhaps it worked best as a stand alone comedy drama.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    The guy is dead show some respect.

I respect the guy for writing one of the best shows in TV history not just in the UK but in the entire world I like his other stuff to hell I even think Just Good Friends is funny plus Dear John (Both UK and US versions) but he did cock this up one of the reasons I'm so shocked is he was such a talented writer for him to make such big mistakes was so unlike him.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it, although there were major minus points. The worst being Phil Daniels. He was awful to the point of unwatchable. Also, you must remember it was a drama with a few comedy moments, whereas OFAH was an out and out comedy, with some drama and sensitive moments. They are two completely different shows. Also the title, Rock & Chips was sooooooo naff, it put a lot of people off from the start.
  • scorerscorer Posts: 5,004
    Forum Member
    I liked it too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed Rock and Chips too.
    Forum Member
    Pretzel wrote: »
    I enjoyed Rock and Chips too. I can't defend it on the basis of continuity errors in relation to Only Fools because I'm not that much of a fan that I'd know what they were but then again perhaps it worked best as a stand alone comedy drama.

It may have worked that way but as part of the OFAH universe not so much
    pete137 wrote: »
    I enjoyed it, although there were major minus points. The worst being Phil Daniels. He was awful to the point of unwatchable. Also, you must remember it was a drama with a few comedy moments, whereas OFAH was an out and out comedy, with some drama and sensitive moments. They are two completely different shows. Also the title, Rock & Chips was sooooooo naff, it put a lot of people off from the start.

Yeah he was terrible to they should have known just because they give him a Granddad hat doesn't make him Granddad
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed Rock and Chips but for us die hard OFAH fans it was terrible for continuity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    I quite enjoyed it. I'm very glad they went for the drama-comedy idea, because having to watch another 'The Green Green Grass' would've been torture!
    Forum Member
    TheButler wrote: »
    I quite enjoyed it. I'm very glad they went for the drama-comedy idea, because having to watch another 'The Green Green Grass' would've been torture!

TBH I didn't mind the fact it was a dramacom it was just the the fact it had terrible acting and even worse continuity which again is odd as OFAH was always quite good for it the only changed that was made was in the early years they said Rodney was baby in arms when his Mum died then in about series 2-3 it changed to he was 4 but apart from that not much changed at all.

Del brought up the fact many times including in the 2nd trilogy that was used to set up R&C that he was 15 when his Mum died and 16 when his Dad left (His 16th Birthday to be exact) but in R&C his mum was still alive and well when Del's 16th Birthday had come and gone
    Forum Member
    On a side note when Joan was introduced she looked or acted nothing like she was ever described I often pictured their Mum as Diana Dors I honestly think she would have been perfect for the role (I know she died and would have been to old by then anyway but you know what I mean)