The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• AnthonyCAnthonyC Posts: 2,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just peeked into the "ITV Ratings crisis" thread on the broadcasting forum. If you fancy a laugh, do stop by there. The ITV love-in from the usual suspects is in full flow...:D
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    AnthonyC wrote: »
    I just peeked into the "ITV Ratings crisis" thread on the broadcasting forum. If you fancy a laugh, do stop by there. The ITV love-in from the usual suspects is in full flow...:D
    It's cringeworthy, isn't it?

Especially The Posts That Are Written Like This For Some Bizarre Reason OR EVEN LIKE THIS.

Whilst I obviously don't subscribe to the idea that ITV is in crisis, I do find some of the excuses being made for its underperforming shows amusing. Apparently Dancing on Ice is down this year because it's been "overshadowed by Splash."
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »

Especially The Posts That Are Written Like This For Some Bizarre Reason OR EVEN LIKE THIS.

Whilst I obviously don't subscribe to the idea that ITV is in crisis, I do find some of the excuses being made for its underperforming shows amusing. Apparently Dancing on Ice is down this year because it's been "overshadowed by Splash."

I weep for television.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The usual suspects are always there, just waiting to attack anyone who makes the slightest criticism of ITV. Should TXF show a hefty loss this year again, then the ITVistas will probably claim BBC fanboys and snobs have an agenda to wreck the show, even though it probably is now in its twilight years and people have had enough.
    Anyway how come the Superbowl gets over half of the American population watching when our equivalent, the FA Cup final, attracts about 7 million.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:confused:

Does that TV Burp bit where Harry Hill turns to his side and shrugs in bewilderment at the camera.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just before I log off, should TXF lose another 2 million viewers, they'll probably blame the absence of Red and Black in the schedule, which someone will say wasn't flatlining and the quality was picking up. However, in the interests in balance, nothing can match the abysmal 2 million rating trash BBC One shows on Saturdays now.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member

From what I can gather its just SamuelW pushing his tired old agenda and flagging up anything that reinforces his belief that ITV is in CRISIS! :yawn:

The usual suspects indeed... ;):rolleyes:
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry if this is a pain because It will be difficult to find, but I have been on a Gladiators rewatch (mostly original series, and also the legends returning), does anyone know the ratings the show got throughout 1992-1999? I miss Saturday night TV like that :( Watching back brought so many memories back as being a toddler/kid.

And how did the revival do on Sky1? I'm sure it was doing decently so shocked that they axed it after 2 series.
  • AnthonyCAnthonyC Posts: 2,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »
    From what I can gather its just SamuelW pushing his tired old agenda and flagging up anything that reinforces his belief that ITV is in CRISIS! :yawn:

The usual suspects indeed... ;):rolleyes:

Hmmm I'm not so sure he's alone in pushing an agenda there...
  • Polly_PerkinsPolly_Perkins Posts: 21,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interested to see what Dallas gets this week.
  • kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    Thanks for all that data Rzt.

Looking at ITV key demos:

Entertainment - 16-34 Year Olds

Take Me Out - 7.4
    Splash - 6.5
    Dancing On Ice - 5.6
    The Jonathan Ross Show - 5.1
    All Star Family Fortunes - 4.7
    DOI: Skate Off - 4.4
    You've Been Framed - 3.5

Drama - ABC1 Adults

Lewis - 13.4
    Mr Selfridge - 11.9
    Midsomer Murders - 10.7

Jonathan Ross's audience profile is insanely good and would be for BBC1 let alone ITV. 27% 16-34 and 59% ABC1. Those are so high that even with his very modest overall figures he's doing enough to get by.

DOI on the other hand seems to be skewing older this year, almost as old as Strictly Come Dancing. Coupled with lower overall figures it's not a pretty picture. ABC1 ratings (where it ties Mr Selfridge for #2 on ITV) are looking comparatively better these days which is quite unusual for an entertainment show.

Great Night Out isn't delivering on any measure it seems.

Great night Out is competitive with the other groups until you reach the 45-54 age group and its numbers collapse.
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DIP 6.0m

Series low, but not surprising given drama competition on 2 and 3

6.0m also for EE. Decent considering Em Fm overlap. 7.1m for EF.

Midsomer just ahead of The Mary Berry Story (3.17m to 3.01m)

(all UKTV Ratings and Jake Kanter)
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Spilsbury mentioned this yesterday then TV Ratings found the stats. @TVRatingsUK: EastEnders in January was down 690k year-on-year, averaging 8.27m. Emmerdale was down 330k to an average of 7.23m. @TVRatingsUK: In January @itvcorrie had an overnight average of 9.16m, 30,000 up on the same month last year.
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a pain because It will be difficult to find, but I have been on a Gladiators rewatch (mostly original series, and also the legends returning), does anyone know the ratings the show got throughout 1992-1999? I miss Saturday night TV like that :( Watching back brought so many memories back as being a toddler/kid.

And how did the revival do on Sky1? I'm sure it was doing decently so shocked that they axed it after 2 series.

In its early 90s peak, Gladiators used to get 9-13m. Would build considerably over an autumn run as the nights drew in.

No idea what it fell to by time it was axed.
  • Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    652k for Dallas. :eek:
  • Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DIP 6.0m

6.0m also for EE. Decent considering Em Fm overlap. 7.1m for EF.

Midsomer just ahead of The Mary Berry Story (3.17m to 3.01m)

(all UKTV Ratings and Jake Kanter)

That's pretty good for EE as like you said clashes with ED. Plus it's nice to see DIP maintain steady considering the competition. Btw if anyone could tel me what happened at the end that would be great as I feel asleep :) up early for work see
  • Andy ParishAndy Parish Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plus it's nice to see DIP maintain steady considering the competition. Btw if anyone could tel me what happened at the end that would be great as I feel asleep :)
    DI Poole gathered everyone together and exposed the killer! ;)
  • Polly_PerkinsPolly_Perkins Posts: 21,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Really? That saddens me. What will they do?
  • kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Move it to 4.15am like they did to Grey's Anatomy.
  • AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good grief. That's another 25% drop in Total People on last week's already very low premiere.

If the same happens in the UK, then we can expect a rating of ~0.6m for tonight's episode. :eek:
    An entirely predictable turn of events though. The numbers dropped off during the first season and rushing it back so the second season airs during the regular season hasn't helped matters. Not at all sure what TNT were thinking or expecting here beyond the misguided hope that rushing it back as quickly as possible would limit the damage (Five's scheduling of it isn't any better either). Clearly that hasn't worked.

Having said that I suspect things will pick-up noticeably for JR's funeral episode. The trick there will be making a good episode that convinces some of those viewers to stick around for the rest of the run. Of course just generally making a good show in the first place probably would have helped them as well but that's another story.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    Not that surprising when you see what's happened with the US numbers. It's extraordinary how closely the ratings trajectory over here mirrors the TNT decline.

It will probably be moved to either 8pm or 10pm. I don't believe it can sustain a 9pm slot with those numbers.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,809
    Forum Member

Exhume JR's body and discover the coffin contains the two Princes...should get a good 4m.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DIP 6.0m

DIP drop must be down to Midsomer which rated over 1m more than Julian Fellowes last week plus it's light-hearted crime drama against light-hearted crime drama. Midsomer taking advantage of having an Emmerdale lead-in.

DIP adding about 1.3m on timeshift so will still be above 7m in the consolidated.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,618
    Forum Member
    Surprised midsomer didn't hit harder
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

Such a shame as it was a brilliant episode last night. I watched it on +1 so as not to miss Death in Paradise, I wonder if others do the same?
This discussion has been closed.