Options

Westlife singer bankrupt!

Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Lead singer of Westlife Shane Filan....
As a result of losing his property investments in Ireland’s economic crash, he was declared bankrupt to the tune of an eye-watering £18 million.
When he was declared bankrupt in June 2012, it was revealed he had just over £100 in cash and £5,500 in the bank. It was an astonishing fall from grace.
Shane had got caught up in the Irish property boom, spurred on by easy loans and low interest rates. ‘People may think I was being greedy, but I’d have to disagree.’ says Shane. ‘My attitude wasn’t: “Right, let’s make loads of money and get the hell out of here.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2387262/As-Westlifes-lead-singer-trappings-fame-Shane-Filan-lost-lot-Here-tells-dizzying-fall.html

He's a much better singer than he is business man! :eek: :D

Insane to lose £18 million. That's a mind blowing waste of money. Kind of obscene when you think about it. When someone goes bankrupt their have very tight restrictions on what they can purchase. So no more properties to buy, Shane! :rolleyes:

It's funny to think he said he wasn't greedy. At the time he invested in properties he was worth 8 million so he didn't need any more money. But I guess he couldn't stop cos he thought he was so rich he could buy anything he wanted.

Comments

• Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually if you read the article he thought he was being more sensible than many others in their position. He wasn't spending it on cars and short term fun, but planning for the future.
    When I got into property, I had just had a baby, Nicole. I genuinely wanted to invest in the future in case Westlife did fall apart, because no one knew how we were going to last after Brian went. Everyone, including us, thought maybe we had a couple of years.’
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    Lead singer of Westlife Shane Filan....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2387262/As-Westlifes-lead-singer-trappings-fame-Shane-Filan-lost-lot-Here-tells-dizzying-fall.html

He's a much better singer than he is business man! :eek: :D

Insane to lose £18 million. That's a mind blowing waste of money. Kind of obscene when you think about it. When someone goes bankrupt their have very tight restrictions on what they can purchase. So no more properties to buy, Shane! :rolleyes:

It's funny to think he said he wasn't greedy. At the time he invested in properties he was worth 8 million so he didn't need any more money. But I guess he couldn't stop cos he thought he was so rich he could buy anything he wanted.

Deleted my original post because its a tad harsh knocking those worse off than me.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    I never feel sorry for the bankrupt - just the people they owe money to who never get it back.

What's even more disgusting in this case is that Mr Filan got his bankruptcy sorted in the UK so his debt is wiped clean in one year. Had he sought bankruptcy in Ireland - where he borrowed the money - he would have had this hanging over him quite rightly for up to 10 years.

He has a new single out too - so will still be making loads of money. Yet his creditors will get nowt!
  • Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    I never feel sorry for the bankrupt - just the people they owe money to who never get it back.

What's even more disgusting in this case is that Mr Filan got his bankruptcy sorted in the UK so his debt is wiped clean in one year. Had he sought bankruptcy in Ireland - where he borrowed the money - he would have had this hanging over him quite rightly for up to 10 years.

He has a new single out too - so will still be making loads of money. Yet his creditors will get nowt!

Actually I think he borrowed the money in the UK - he certainly talks about the heads of banks flying in from London.
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this is old news
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »

I think his solo career will flop and his new single isnt great
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    no just a greedy d*ckhead who thought he could make easy money on a property boom with borrowed money

just like starting in the UK market now

property is not a one way bet prices go down as well as up

a house is for living in its not a ATM
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sheer greed and shamelessly looking for sympathy.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Lucylocket88Lucylocket88 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    Sweet FA wrote: »
    Sheer greed and shamelessly looking for sympathy.:rolleyes:

I agree. Some people do not even earn that amount in their life, yet I and other people are meant to feel sorry for this person going bankrupt?:confused: I do not feel sorry for this man at all.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he put all he had in investments, that's a bit daft. He should have kept quite a bit back for in case anything happened. Yes, invest quite a bit, but don't go investing it all though. That's a very nice looking house. I'm sure he'd have gotten quite a bit of interest if he'd have left the £18m in the bank.
  • Options
    FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact is that Shane still remains unpopular with other folks back in his hometown because most of the creditors he owes money to come from there. No wonder Shane's living in the U.K. at present.
  • Options
    PhoebicaPhoebica Posts: 2,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's amazing how someone with that much money can lose it all. Why would you put all your eggs in one basket?

He's currently doing the interview rounds and has a solo album coming out so I'm sure he'll recoup some of it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Most of the comments here are nonsense. He invested in the town he was born and brought up in. He was building care homes, and other amenities. He didn't put ALL his money in, just
    Lost most of it trying to keep the investments afloat once things in Ireland got shaky - which happened very quickly. He was hardly building stuff to flog on for a quick buck. He's had
    To sell a house he spent seven years building to try and pay back some of the money he owes in Sligo, and now lives in a pretty modest house in England. Which he was advised to do. He also started the investment with his much older brother so if he was out to make a quick buck and rip people off I hardly doubt he'd drag his family into it.

If you knew anything about the situation you'd know He has been devastated to leave Sligo and particularly in the situation he's left behind to then try and deal with.

This isn't a man bankrupt and still driving flash cars and shopping in designer stores like others, he lives modestly, sold all his cars, sold his beloved house, his children are at normal school and he even sold his wedding ring initially to cover some costs. His wife openly now shops at Primark and other high street stores. Yet you all slag him?

Yes, he made a mistake, like a lot of people have done in recent times, and obviously is being asked to talk about it now he is promoting his single. As he would be. But as usual the DS hounds are out for blood.
  • Options
    NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lildeakin wrote: »
    Most of the comments here are nonsense. He invested in the town he was born and brought up in. He was building care homes, and other amenities. He didn't put ALL his money in, just
    Lost most of it trying to keep the investments afloat once things in Ireland got shaky - which happened very quickly. He was hardly building stuff to flog on for a quick buck. He's had
    To sell a house he spent seven years building to try and pay back some of the money he owes in Sligo, and now lives in a pretty modest house in England. Which he was advised to do. He also started the investment with his much older brother so if he was out to make a quick buck and rip people off I hardly doubt he'd drag his family into it.

If you knew anything about the situation you'd know He has been devastated to leave Sligo and particularly in the situation he's left behind to then try and deal with.

This isn't a man bankrupt and still driving flash cars and shopping in designer stores like others, he lives modestly, sold all his cars, sold his beloved house, his children are at normal school and he even sold his wedding ring initially to cover some costs. His wife openly now shops at Primark and other high street stores. Yet you all slag him?

Yes, he made a mistake, like a lot of people have done in recent times, and obviously is being asked to talk about it now he is promoting his single. As he would be. But as usual the DS hounds are out for blood.
    Rubbish! He took advantage of the UK bankruptcy laws where he'd be discharged after a year instead of the Irish laws which, admittedly, are more draconian. He's just another bankruptcy tourist who got away with shafting his creditors.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As someone else pointed out - he borrowed in the UK to begin with so bankruptcy would be declared here.

I can assure you if you knew anything about him and the house he built in Ireland for his family you'd know what it has meant to sell it.

I'm not advocating bankruptcy or leaving people with debts, what I AM pointing out is that a lot of you are tarring him with the general bankruptcy brush without knowing all the facts.

He's hardly like Kerry Katona driving around in his pricey car and living in some mansion, with selfridges bags on every arm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NotaTypo wrote: »
    Rubbish! He took advantage of the UK bankruptcy laws where he'd be discharged after a year instead of the Irish laws which, admittedly, are more draconian. He's just another bankruptcy tourist who got away with shafting his creditors.

And btw, saying 'rubbish' in such an intentionally rude way was totally unnecessary. I'm not stupid and being 'castigated' in such a way really gets my goat. Yes, I'm a fan, but I'm not twelve. AS a fan, i've read a lot and heard a lot of the actual truth (from people who actualy DO know) regarding this bankruptcy, but obviously you know better and feel the need to be sarcastic. Of course. Sometimes the lack of manners on this place really grates on me.
  • Options
    NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And btw, saying 'rubbish' in such an intentionally rude way was totally unnecessary. I'm not stupid and being 'castigated' in such a way really gets my goat. Yes, I'm a fan, but I'm not twelve. AS a fan, i've read a lot and heard a lot of the actual truth (from people who actualy DO know) regarding this bankruptcy, but obviously you know better and feel the need to be sarcastic. Of course. Sometimes the lack of manners on this place really grates on me.
    I'm not being sarcastic. Filan's a bankruptcy tourist who buggered off to the UK to shaft his Irish creditors by taking advantage of more lenient bankruptcy laws.

As for pleading the poor mouth, he can still afford to record in Nashville, never mind the horror of his missus having to buy clothes in Primark for the kids!:rolleyes:
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is really old old news and hindsight is a wonderful thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dont be ridiculous- the record company paid for his recording in Nashville. BUT - You know what, you win- I can't be bothered to point out why you are wrong anymore. Get on with being petty. But don't roll your eyes at me, virtual or not. SO bad mannered.
  • Options
    Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member
    Deleted my original post because its a tad harsh knocking those worse off than me.

Doubt he's worse off than you !

Ask yourself where he got the estimated £20,000 to buy back his engagement ring. The Irish press said the Insolvency company allowed him to keep his wedding ring , The British press are saying he was allowed to buy it back - so where did a bankrupt get £20,000......He's also managed to hold on to his Georgian Mansion in Surrey where he moved to .:confused:

It seems if you're a poor bankrupt you loose everything if you're a rich bankrupt there are ways to hang on to some things !

He was a greedy little munchkin wasn't he . Despite making and estimated £10 million from all his years in a boyband it seems this was not enough for him.

I have no sympathy for greedy people. Louie Walsh has said that he will be a major solo artist :D:D:D:D so expect to see Shane performing at a town hall near you lol
  • Options
    Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: You must be his biggest fan lol

You make him sound Mother Teresa building Care Homes for the poor and amenities for the local community. As he said in an interview with a british paper " there were not many care homes in this part of Ireland so thought it was a growth industry "

He was a greedy little man out to make a quick buck.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume he was building care homes free of charge??:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Another 'rubbish' from me.:sleep:
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lost most of it trying to keep the investments afloat once things in Ireland got shaky
    - which happened very quickly. He was hardly building stuff to flog on for a quick buck. He's had

Which still means that all his money went into them. He should have let his investments go and used the remaining money to live off comfortably.
  • Options
    CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bankruptcy - one of the biggest scams ever. Wipe off your debts without paying those you owe.