Just had a police visit because.....

Comments

• UncleLouUncleLou Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .........my 9 yr old son was playing 'ding dong ditch', known in my day as 'ring bang skoosh' but basically means ringing the doorbell (or knocking the door) and running away. They gave him a stern talking to about how their time could be best spent elsewhere while he looked terrified and I told him not to do it again but methinks the real timewaster here is the householder who called the police for what is an age old kids prank!

The kids that started those type of games years ago, really were scared of getting caught as they use to get a slap from the neighbour.

Why didn't you know what your 9 year old was up to? As you say, he is only 9.

Sadly, you still seem to think it is ok for your child to behave like that. Why don't you take your children out to the park and play with them?

As for the neighbout that called the police, perhaps he knew the response he would get from you? Perhaps, if you are claiming benefits like tax credits, your neighbour is fed up paying for your child that you don't want to spend time with and he doesn't want to spend time with either - probably for the same reason.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,987
    Forum Member
    UncleLou wrote: »
    The kids that started those type of games years ago, really were scared of getting caught as they use to get a slap from the neighbour.

Sadly, you still seem to think it is ok for your child to behave like that. Why don't you take your children out to the park and play with them?

As for the neighbout that called the police, perhaps he knew the response he would get from you? Perhaps, if you are claiming benefits like tax credits, your neighbour is fed up paying for your child that you don't want to spend time with and he doesn't want to spend time with either - probably for the same reason.

Ah yes, because hitting a child for knocking on your door is so much more acceptable than a child knocking on your door.

My parents didn't always know where I was or what I was doing when I was out playing with mates. Maybe, just maybe, the OP takes her kids to the park at weekends but not at 7.30 on a weekday when instead the son plays out with the neighbours.

The benefits thing is completely irrelevant. Just because a child plays out at night with their mates doesn't mean the parents don't want to spend time with them. Were you permanently attached to your parents growing up? Never played out at night without supervision?
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UncleLou wrote: »

this post is right out of the DM readers hand book of stock responses.

yes 9, old enough for the apron strings to be cut and certainly old enough to be embarrassed to go to the park with their parents.

so what age do you thing it acceptable to let your children out to play on their own?

your credibility blown clean out of the water with the cheap 'benefits' shot.
  • dan_blamiresdan_blamires Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Ah I come from a farming family so probably had it drilled into me not to damage crops.

But there were a certain two fields - both just wild meadow, never cultivated - where us kids knew that if you went over the fence and into them, there was about a one in ten chance the farmers (who always seemed to be carrying their shotguns in those days) would chase... We were quite innocent, really. One field, my brother liked to look at the wildflowers and butterflies and had a medieval quarry in one corner, which drew us kids like magnets. The other had a pond with newts and frogs and stuff so it was an 8 year old magnet, as well. The fact you had a bit of a lottery whether you'd get away with it or be chased added to the frisson.;-)

Looking back, although we didn't know the farmers' names or anything, I suspect they knew precisely who we were and could have knocked on our doors and told our mums, if they'd wanted... I was once stopped in the street by an elderly man who, it turned out, had been a farmhand on a farm maybe 10 miles from my mum's farm and he took one look at me and said "Ah you must be [ grandad's name]'s grand-daughter! You have the look of him." He'd never met me in my life, but could tell which family I came from just by looking at me:D So weren't as anonymous as we thought, probably, in our trespassing crime sprees...

Lovely post. I do feel guilty about ruining the farmers crops now but gosh it was fun as child. If caught no doubt would have had a clip round the ear from shotgun wielding farmer then a grounding from parents when returned home, as you say adds a sense of jeopardy and therefore heightens the thrill as a kid. Even now on long sunny days I get an urge to dive into a wheat field when I pass one. I wouldnt of course and if my kids were returned to me having been caught doing so they can also expect a grounding. Of course after I had put them to bed I would be sitting down stairs with a smile on my face thinking how the wheel has turned and that they are making happy childhood memories for themselves the wee snipes.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    this post is right out of the DM readers hand book of stock responses.

yes 9, old enough for the apron strings to be cut and certainly old enough to be embarrassed to go to the park with their parents.

so what age do you thing it acceptable to let your children out to play on their own?

your credibility blown clean out of the water with the cheap 'benefits' shot.

I live in London. The kids allowed out at 9 in my sons year (he's 12 now) were few and far between. It's not smothering.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    I live in London. The kids allowed out at 9 in my sons year (he's 12 now) were few and far between. It's not smothering.

neither is it bad parenting as was being inferred.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And it depends on the area. Our kids were allowed out without an adult but with their friends, from age 7 when we moved to a village. But when we lived in the city, I expect they'd have been 15 before I'd even have let them go to town on a bus together! Here, around Y4 and upwards roam at will either alone, or in a pack - and that is the norm. (You sometimes see even younger out on their own but they are probably just going round the corner). So what would be responsible or practical for one place, is not for the other...

My 12 year old and his mates play unsupervised (usually in a large group) every evening, weekend and all holidays - they have as much freedom as I had growing up in the 60s/70s. They all do - not just my kids. If we still lived in the inner city, he wouldn't even be allowed down the street on his own! Unfair being judgemental.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And it depends on the area. Our kids were allowed out without an adult but with their friends, from age 7 when we moved to a village. But when we lived in the city, I expect they'd have been 15 before I'd even have let them go to town on a bus together! Here, around Y4 and upwards roam at will either alone, or in a pack - and that is the norm. (You sometimes see even younger out on their own but they are probably just going round the corner). So what would be responsible or practical for one place, is not for the other...

My 12 year old and his mates play unsupervised (usually in a large group) every evening, weekend and all holidays - they have as much freedom as I had growing up in the 60s/70s. They all do - not just my kids. If we still lived in the inner city, he wouldn't even be allowed down the street on his own! Unfair being judgemental.

a lot of changed children have Mb phones now too, so a call to or from home is also available now. When my children first went out on their own, they went with walkie talkies
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    neither is it bad parenting as was being inferred.

Completely agree
  • incy wincyincy wincy Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lovely post. I do feel guilty about ruining the farmers crops now but gosh it was fun as child. If caught no doubt would have had a clip round the ear from shotgun wielding farmer then a grounding from parents when returned home, as you say adds a sense of jeopardy and therefore heightens the thrill as a kid. Even now on long sunny days I get an urge to dive into a wheat field when I pass one. I wouldnt of course and if my kids were returned to me having been caught doing so they can also expect a grounding. Of course after I had put them to bed I would be sitting down stairs with a smile on my face thinking how the wheel has turned and that they are making happy childhood memories for themselves the wee snipes.

I think this a key attitude that is being lost amongst some people. Of course, when our children do some things that are wrong we find it funny or nostalgic and perhaps know it's not a massive deal in the grand scheme of things. In these instances, disciplining them and then smiling once they're out of the room is fine. However, I think some parents don't see that distinction and they just laugh it off in front of the child without punishing them.

My son got caught at school one lunch time trying to tip his friend into a recycling bin, with the full consent of his friend (apparently it's a 'thing' that they all do). He got a demerit and we told him off for breaking school rules but when he went to bed, we did have a bit of a laugh about it as it really is just one of those things that kids will find amusing. But we still made sure we supported the school's decision to punish him for it, as he must learn to follow rules.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    incy wincy wrote: »
    I think this a key attitude that is being lost amongst some people. Of course, when our children do some things that are wrong we find it funny or nostalgic and perhaps know it's not a massive deal in the grand scheme of things. In these instances, disciplining them and then smiling once they're out of the room is fine. However, I think some parents don't see that distinction and they just laugh it off in front of the child without punishing them.

My son got caught at school one lunch time trying to tip his friend into a recycling bin, with the full consent of his friend (apparently it's a 'thing' that they all do). He got a demerit and we told him off for breaking school rules but when he went to bed, we did have a bit of a laugh about it as it really is just one of those things that kids will find amusing. But we still made sure we supported the school's decision to punish him for it, as he must learn to follow rules.
    You're right but then again, you have to temper that with a bit of common sense, as sometimes the school will give a child a negative or they can end up in detention, for something that isn't really meriting that - other times, I'd back them up 100%. But I do use my own judgement as a couple of times, one of my sons has got a negative or detention for something I felt should have been let go by the teacher. One example was in an RE lesson, when the kids had to share bad experiences and one of his friends told the class about the time she nearly died and was rushed to hospital. My son was shocked by the story and let drop an involuntary "Christ!" and the teacher gave him a detention for blasphemy.:o (Not a church school, btw) Not only that she tore him off a strip in front of the whole class, telling him what a "disgrace" he was. He asked the other kids if anyone was offended by what he'd said - they all said they weren't. Now that was one bit of discipline I couldn't take seriously.:D I told him not to go to the detention as well. He didn't. And somehow he never got asked why he didn't turn up.

I back the school most of the time but there are occasions when it is not the child's fault and then, for the future mental health of your own kid really, you have to be honest.:)
  • dan_blamiresdan_blamires Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Brilliant. I love this post.
  • The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're right but then again, you have to temper that with a bit of common sense, as sometimes the school will give a child a negative or they can end up in detention, for something that isn't really meriting that - other times, I'd back them up 100%. But I do use my own judgement as a couple of times, one of my sons has got a negative or detention for something I felt should have been let go by the teacher. One example was in an RE lesson, when the kids had to share bad experiences and one of his friends told the class about the time she nearly died and was rushed to hospital. My son was shocked by the story and let drop an involuntary "Christ!" and the teacher gave him a detention for blasphemy.:o (Not a church school, btw) Not only that she tore him off a strip in front of the whole class, telling him what a "disgrace" he was. He asked the other kids if anyone was offended by what he'd said - they all said they weren't. Now that was one bit of discipline I couldn't take seriously.:D I told him not to go to the detention as well. He didn't. And somehow he never got asked why he didn't turn up.

I back the school most of the time but there are occasions when it is not the child's fault and then, for the future mental health of your own kid really, you have to be honest.:)

Absolutely. Children should never blindly follow rules just because they are rules, and we have a responsibility to point out to them when mistakes are made.

They must be raised to question everything imo, including their parents if need be. There should be no "you do it because I say so, or because the rules say so".
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely. Children should never blindly follow rules just because they are rules, and we have a responsibility to point out to them when mistakes are made.

They must be raised to question everything imo, including their parents if need be. There should be no "you do it because I say so, or because the rules say so".
    Oh dear. I'm afraid if you mean that exactly as stated, it's the kind of attitude that is making children impossible to teach and driving teachers out of the profession.

Although I agree that children should be encouraged to question, it is equally important to instil into them that certain rules are laid down for their own and everyone else's protection and should be followed whether they agree with them or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Oh dear. I'm afraid if you mean that exactly as stated, it's the kind of attitude that is making children impossible to teach and driving teachers out of the profession.

Although I agree that children should be encouraged to question, it is equally important to instil into them that certain rules are laid down for their own and everyone else's protection and should be followed whether they agree with them or not.

Is it? I was a teacher and only left the profession to become a carer for one of my sons - but that was my attitude when I taught, as well as when I parent. Children should be able to develop as independent thinkers and yes, question rules if the rules are unjust, or cruel, or stupid. What kind of teacher would find that difficult? A bad one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »

Of course. I certainly wouldn't advocate the breaking of all rules (who would) as that would be incredibly stupid. There are many that we have to follow even if we don't agree with them. A certain level of conformity (even if it is faked) is necessary in order to survive in our society - we have to play the game.

Teachers have an incredibly hard job to do under thankless circumstances for the most part. My children know that if they disagree with a teacher that they should ask him/her if they can discuss it with them when it is at a convenient time for the teacher.

They have done this with successful and unsuccessful results, but that's all part of life. Unfortunately some 'bad' teachers resent their authority being questioned in any way. Good teachers are happy to listen and educate them further if necessary.

Either way, they can respect that their teacher has a job to do and is doing it to the best of their ability (hopefully) even if they don't respect or agree with the teachers methods or opinions. None of this means they have to accept it without question though...nor necessarily conform to it.
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    Kids will be kids, but where do you draw the line and who makes that clear to kids? Knock door run one year, damaging crops the next, a few years later making off from a taxi without payment? Nobody is saying that a child who plays knock a door run is ultimately going to turn in to a master criminal, but without sufficient parental guidance the child will more than likely continue to push the boundaries, and where will that stop?
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    A lot of things happened in the 60s and 70s that were regarded as harmless fun but we now know were often cruel and offensive.
    Most criminals begin with juvenile offences, a warning etc. petty crime , a disregard for person or property. Then petty theft. Breaking in , stealing etc.
    If the police turned up at my door asking questions about my child I would be concerned. And posting it for a laugh on here would be my last thought.

You're right. Nobody is saying that a kid playing knock a door run is going to turn in to a thief, drug addict or serious criminal, but lack of parental direction will very likely result in a child pushing the boundaries further and further. A parent who ridicules police attendance to a knock a door run (which I accept the OP did not do) is then creating a double problem for the child; one of believing that what they did is acceptable, and another of creating a disrespect for authority.
    Forum Member
    The kid was playing knock and run it's hardly a crime, not even a petty one. Causing criminal damage by throwing eggs at a car or a house, that's a police matter. Not knocking on a door and running away.

But it is a crime, although a petty one. It is an offence in English law. However as a petty crime it should be dealt with as such, and if the person doing it is a child then educate them rather than criminalise them. If it continues then escalate, treat it as anti-social behaviour and manage it. If it continues on then the option is there for it to be dealt with as an offence.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somner wrote: »
    Kids will be kids, but where do you draw the line and who makes that clear to kids? Knock door run one year, damaging crops the next, a few years later making off from a taxi without payment? Nobody is saying that a child who plays knock a door run is ultimately going to turn in to a master criminal, but without sufficient parental guidance the child will more than likely continue to push the boundaries, and where will that stop?

of all the kids i played it with, one became a barrister, another an accountant, a chef, naval engineer, a social worker and i became a policeman followed by a career in the courts then social services. Nne of us had any contact with the police nor did out parents know what we were up to. I agree that specific asb needs to be nipped in the bud, but 9 year olds playing knock and run does not require police action
  • incy wincyincy wincy Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I agree that sometimes you have to consider whether the teacher has made an error of judgement, but when you know your child has broken a rule but it's kind of amusing, you can still discipline and see the funny side.

I don't think children should question school rules unless there is something there that is grossly unfair. What I do think they have a right to query is whether the rule was applied fairly to them or not, but they should query it in a mature and civilised manner. If my son started kicking off at a teacher saying something was unfair etc I'd tell him that he's already lost the battle because he didn't address it in a polite way at the correct time.

I understand the argument for not bringing up children to follow all rules blindly, but on the whole, society needs compliance in order to function. Children need to learn this before they can understand the much more mature and subtler point that certain laws might be unfair and how to challenge them effectively without impinging on other people's rights. Respect for authority needs to be instilled at a young age. If school rules etc are unfair it is a matter for parents to discuss sensibly with teachers, not for children to challenge.
    Forum Member
    of all the kids i played it with, one became a barrister, another an accountant, a chef, naval engineer, a social worker and i became a policeman followed by a career in the courts then social services. Nne of us had any contact with the police nor did out parents know what we were up to. I agree that specific asb needs to be nipped in the bud, but 9 year olds playing knock and run does not require police action

I can tell a similar story, the point being the parental guidance was there. Our parents didn't know exactly what we were up to but overall the guidance on our behaviour was there. We knew right from wrong, we had respect for others and we understood that our actions had consequences and we should consider how our actions affected others.

9 year olds playing knock a door run doesn't require police action if it's a one off, but if you were on the receiving end of it on a regular basis then it may be a different story. If the person who's door is being knocked is mentally ill/disabled/elderly, then it would be a different story. A simple word from a local neighbourhood officer is proportionate and well within their remit.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No one is saying they would become criminals because of playing this so called game.
    But if 9 year olds are out late at night looking for mischief what do they do for fun when they get to 12 years old ?
    They can become a source of anti social behaviour if this sort of disregard for others is ignored. Usually there are one or two who instigate these things and perfectly nice children get involved for various reasons.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I agree that sometimes you have to consider whether the teacher has made an error of judgement, but when you know your child has broken a rule but it's kind of amusing, you can still discipline and see the funny side.

I don't think children should question school rules unless there is something there that is grossly unfair. What I do think they have a right to query is whether the rule was applied fairly to them or not, but they should query it in a mature and civilised manner. If my son started kicking off at a teacher saying something was unfair etc I'd tell him that he's already lost the battle because he didn't address it in a polite way at the correct time.

I understand the argument for not bringing up children to follow all rules blindly, but on the whole, society needs compliance in order to function. Children need to learn this before they can understand the much more mature and subtler point that certain laws might be unfair and how to challenge them effectively without impinging on other people's rights. Respect for authority needs to be instilled at a young age. If school rules etc are unfair it is a matter for parents to discuss sensibly with teachers, not for children to challenge.

In certain circumstances yes - but alongside teaching a healthy disrespect for authority if required, but handled non aggressively and politely.

Ranks/hierarchies etc should never be given respect purely on rank alone. Respect for the person should be earned. Respect for ranks/titles alone is pretty silly imo.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would add that wee live in quite different times. There is a higher level of suspicious from all quarters. Doorbells being rung late in the evening would probably alarm me now, where in the past it would not have.
    Also people knew their neighbours and the small communities were to an extent self policing. I like Hogzilla lived in the country and we would get away with nothing. Every one knew everyone's business and kids were regularly reported to parents by concerned
    neighbours.
    I think it is a shame that children do not have the freedom my generation had, or that children being brought up in rural locations still enjoy.
This discussion has been closed.