What is the best book you've read this year?

Comments

• IanslaterIanslater Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like reading Robinson Crusoe.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Gerald Durrells

My Family and Other Animals
    Birds,Beasts and Relatives
    The Garden Of The Gods
    The Picnic And Suchlike Pandomonium

Deric Longdens

Lost For Words ((for Whiskey getting well washed by Derics eccentric mother. Funniest scene I have read in a book. Its a joy! But not a joy for Whiskey as surely Domestos burns even when diluted?))

A Play On Words

The Cat Who Came In From The Cold. ((for Thermal's adventures))
  • FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just read "How to be lost" By Amanda Eye Ward and thouroughly enjoyed it ,its nmot a hard read but its quite thought provoking , It's being sold as the new Lovely bones but to be honest I cant see why,the only thing they have in common is a missing child
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I just found this forum bit! One of the best books I've read this year and I thought was just amazing was 'The Five People you meet in Heaven'. I would recommend that to anyone, its truly a thought-provoking book.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somehow, the books I've read so far this year haven't been that great so the best one was probably The Da Vinci Code. But even that I was reading for the second time. Nothing else stands out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sleepydove wrote:
    Somehow, the books I've read so far this year haven't been that great so the best one was probably The Da Vinci Code. But even that I was reading for the second time. Nothing else stands out.

Ditto. I've read nothing really great this year, though I had a list as long as my arm for last year.

Shantaram, Time Travelers Wife, Million Little Pieces, Q and A, Norwegian Wood and more.

I quite liked Johnathan Strange though. Someone recommend me a good un I feel literary starved (BTW though don't like Dan Brown books)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    artemis fowl: the decipher code

that was pretty good.

I Have that but i havent red it yet.

Isnt it The eternity code

The new one is Opal Decption
  • Dewain deBleyDewain deBley Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being a Mathematical type bore, I've just finished Alan Turing: The Enigma, which is probably one of the best Scientific biogs, I've read in a long time.

Alan Turing was one of the leading Mathematicians at the now famous Bletchley Park, where he, along with many others, developed the first electronic computing machine to decode the German Enigma encryption device, during WWII.

The character of Turing comes across as a very intelligent, but lonely, driven man, who eventually committed suicide, perhaps related to his homosexuality, in a time of severe repression.

He is now credited as the father of modern computing, so blame him if your Windows XP displays a blue fault page !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 favourites this year so far......

The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde

The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon
  • NasalhairNasalhair Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bona-v wrote:
    2 favourites this year so far......

The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde

The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon
    Fantastic stuff, and they get better as they go on - "Something Rotten" being the best of the lot.

In case you are interested go to Jasper's website as he is doing a tour in July - I saw him do a reading last year and he was great fun, and signed all kinds of stuff afterwards. His new book, "The Fourth Bear" (not a Thursday Next book) is out in July.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

I just ran a search for a mention of it on this forum and only found it mentioned in two, one of which was books you've given up on. :(

I think it's a wonderful book, I've not enjoyed reading a book so much in ages and really didn't want it to end.

I'm just in awe of Susanna Clarke's imagination and the wonderful images she conjured (oh dear did I really use that word?!) up in my head.
    Me too! This ties in my mind with Cloud Atlas as my fave read this year. Epic achievements! :)
  • handymelonhandymelon Posts: 15,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to be predictable, but "Nightwatch" by Terry Pratchett. Work of utter genius!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    Stephen king, 'Cell'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Empress Orchid by Anchee Min and Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden, both fascinating insites into the lives of women in the East.

Just starting to re read the mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. One of my all time favourite books.
  • GemofaBirdGemofaBird Posts: 1,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian

Don't let the title put you off - such a hilarious family comedy-melo-drama! - Found myself laughing out loud and smikring to myself whilst reading this... My only problem with it is that it's too short! - I read it in just one sitting!

My second favourite book of the year after The Kite Runner :D:D hilarious :D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    I just bought 'A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian' on a bit of a whim. Looking forward to it after hearing so many people say they liked it.

My personal favourite of the year so far has to be 'We need to talk about Kevin' by Lionel Shriver. It's brutal and ambiguous and I would highly recommend it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm... I haven't really read anything that I would consider to be truly mind blowing this year. That said, I rather enjoyed 'Freakonomics' by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner, as it took the rather dry, dull world of economics and injected it with a bit of life so that even I was interested to know the connection between school teachers and sumo wrestlers!
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being a Mathematical type bore, I've just finished Alan Turing: The Enigma, which is probably one of the best Scientific biogs, I've read in a long time.

Alan Turing was one of the leading Mathematicians at the now famous Bletchley Park, where he, along with many others, developed the first electronic computing machine to decode the German Enigma encryption device, during WWII.

The character of Turing comes across as a very intelligent, but lonely, driven man, who eventually committed suicide, perhaps related to his homosexuality, in a time of severe repression.

He is now credited as the father of modern computing, so blame him if your Windows XP displays a blue fault page !

I read that years ago when I think it was called 'the Enigmo of Intelligence. You're right, it's one of the best biographies I've ever read, I think.

For anyone interested in US politics of the middle of the last century, I really recommend this too:

J.Edgar Hoover: The Man and the Secrets
    by Curt Gentry
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leahbear wrote:
    Mine's The Time Traveller's Wife. If you haven't read it and truly enjoy a good book, read it. Fanbleedingtastic. In my top 3 books of all times.

I have to agree - I found The Time Travellers Wife to be the perfect book. It's got such a unique blend of happiness and sadness that sometimes I didn't know whether to smile or cry

I found that the book just flowed from the pages and IMO it was one of the most powerful books I have ever read - a true 21st Century love story!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glitterbug wrote:
    I think the best book I've read so far this year is probably Carry On Jeeves (P G Wodehouse), not only because it's more or less the first one I've read since finishing my MA although that was a major factor! I know some people who don't really take to Wodehouse's style but I find it quite soothing for some reason, very light but with a taut plot.
    Carry On Jeeves - a choice to be commended, glitterbug. I've got the first edition .... Wodehouse really struggled to write a bad sentence in nearly eighty years at his typewriter, and I've been reading (and re-reading) him since I was a child, so I am slightly biased.

Best books I've (re-)read this year are Paradise Postponed and Summer's Lease by John Mortimer - they helped pass some seriously unpleasant weeks in hospital a few months ago; they nearly distracted me from my situation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,842
    Forum Member
    kimindex wrote:
    J.Edgar Hoover: The Man and the Secrets
    by Curt Gentry
    Thats on my 'to read' list.

Best books i've read so far this year are:
    The Italian Job by Luca Vialli and Gab Marcotti.
    Napoleon and Wellington - a comparison of the two, forgotten the author though.
  • structurestructure Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian' - lovely book.

Looking forward to the Tom Clancy too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just finished a book called "Hannah's Gift" about a 3 year old girl who died of cancer, written by her mother.

Unashamed tear jerker, but it was charming, and some of the anecdotes really make you think.
  • iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'The fish who could wish'

By John Bush

Actually brought a tear to my eye when i finished it.
  • GirlfromEireannGirlfromEireann Posts: 4,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just bought 'A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian' on a bit of a whim. Looking forward to it after hearing so many people say they liked it.

My personal favourite of the year so far has to be 'We need to talk about Kevin' by Lionel Shriver. It's brutal and ambiguous and I would highly recommend it!

You will enjoy' Tractors' - not a work of literary genius but a nice read.

I totally agree with 'We Need to Talk about Kevin'. Finished it over a week ago and am still somewhat troubled by it!