Options

Husband Problems

Free as a birdFree as a bird Posts: 1,040
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have been with my husband for four years and married for nearly one, and lately things have started to go downhill.

I have a problem with jealously and insecurity and this has manifested itself as to me accusing him of cheating etc, which I don't believe he has. I also have an anger problem and have hit him in the past, when we argue now I don't get angry anymore as I know that it won't solve anything.

We have a council flat which has my name on the lease but he helped me get it.

Lately everything I ask him is because according to him I want to start an argument or he just won't listen.

I have been in tears every day because of his verbal abuse, he hates me, I should go stay with my parents and not come back, I control him etc.

Even writing this I am in tears.

I don't know what I have done to him recently that would explain his attitude to me. I have recently had an op and he couldn't have been nicer(probably because I spent most of my time recovering at my parents)

He is always telling me it's my flat(in arguments I have said this), and that my new man will treat me with respect(I have also said that when I get a new man he will treat me with respect)

Don't know why I'm airing my problems like this but have no one else I can talk to, that has maybe experienced what I am going through.

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know what I have done to him recently that would explain his attitude to me.

accusing him of cheating i would think!
  • Options
    AwesomeGeorgeAwesomeGeorge Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    Why are you so angry with him? Have you any idea why you are feeling like this? Has anything triggered such an emotional response?
  • Options
    ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been with my husband for four years and married for nearly one, and lately things have started to go downhill.

I have a problem with jealously and insecurity and this has manifested itself as to me accusing him of cheating etc, which I don't believe he has. I also have an anger problem and have hit him in the past, when we argue now I don't get angry anymore as I know that it won't solve anything.

We have a council flat which has my name on the lease but he helped me get it.

Lately everything I ask him is because according to him I want to start an argument or he just won't listen.

I have been in tears every day because of his verbal abuse, he hates me, I should go stay with my parents and not come back, I control him etc.

Even writing this I am in tears.

I don't know what I have done to him recently that would explain his attitude to me. I have recently had an op and he couldn't have been nicer(probably because I spent most of my time recovering at my parents)

He is always telling me it's my flat(in arguments I have said this), and that my new man will treat me with respect(I have also said that when I get a new man he will treat me with respect)

Don't know why I'm airing my problems like this but have no one else I can talk to, that has maybe experienced what I am going through.

It sounds like 4 years of your anger, abuse, hitting and jealousy have taken its toll on his reactions to you. You cant blame him for that.

The only way forward is for you both to have counselling. You need to repair the damage you have done and he needs to learn to trust you again.

If you keep going down the road you both are right now - playing the blame game - there's no chance you'll last much longer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are you so angry with him? Have you any idea why you are feeling like this? Has anything triggered such an emotional response?

I was in a very abusive relationship and I don't think I have ever got myself help for what I went through then, and my ex is quite similar to my husband as in they can be quite nasty verbally, which is when I start to get angry and start overanalzing what he says to me, even though I should just brush it off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ikkleosu wrote: »
    It sounds like 4 years of your anger, abuse, hitting and jealousy have taken its toll on his reactions to you. You cant blame him for that.

The only way forward is for you both to have counselling. You need to repair the damage you have done and he needs to learn to trust you again.

If you keep going down the road you both are right now - playing the blame game - there's no chance you'll last much longer.

I don't blame him, but I ask myself why now, why didn't he leave before we got married, to be honest(and I am ashamed of this), I have been worse, it is only recently that I have been trying to help myself re the violence, and jealously.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was in a very abusive relationship and I don't think I have ever got myself help for what I went through then, and my ex is quite similar to my husband as in they can be quite nasty verbally, which is when I start to get angry and start overanalzing what he says to me, even though I should just brush it off.
    So now's the time for you to get help for yourself and maybe you can rescue your marriage? Relate is very good and they try to see you very quickly for an assessment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So now's the time for you to get help for yourself and maybe you can rescue your marriage? Relate is very good and they try to see you very quickly for an assessment.

I would be up for Relate, but I know he won't, he just believes that I won't change, and that is what is in his head. I am trying to arrange counselling for myself though.
  • Options
    modeyinkmodeyink Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hang on... "I'm jealous, I'm insecure, I accuse him of cheating, I hit him, I remind him it's my flat and not his, I talk about getting a new man... Why does he have an attitude with me, I don't understand??"

Is that basically it? I mean, seriously.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    modeyink wrote: »
    Hang on... "I'm jealous, I'm insecure, I accuse him of cheating, I hit him, I remind him it's my flat and not his, I talk about getting a new man... Why does he have an attitude with me, I don't understand??"

Is that basically it? I mean, seriously.

In a nutshell yes, though I am trying to deal with my insecuritys and violence. It is just lately he has been like this though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a nutshell yes, though I am trying to deal with my insecuritys and violence. It is just lately he has been like this though.

The point is your post was about your confusion as to why he's giving you attitude now. I think the reason is pretty clear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The point is your post was about your confusion as to why he's giving you attitude now. I think the reason is pretty clear.

I understand that, but now, after four years........
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Reached a tipping point perhaps.
  • Options
    fluffybunyipfluffybunyip Posts: 4,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would guess it's because people have a breaking point. Perhaps he thought he could handle it, or still had belief that you and your behaviour would change, and maybe now he doesn't think that anymore?
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    He's maybe just reached the end of his tether. I don't know how you can turn ot round but if you're getting help to try and sort out your issues and you stick with it that will show him you're serious about changing. Then maybe things will start to change.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He's not made of stone, OP. A person can only take so much. Keep chipping away at a man and he'll retaliate eventually, even the most gentle of men.
  • Options
    EBD3000EBD3000 Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's not made of stone, OP. A person can only take so much. Keep chipping away at a man and he'll retaliate eventually, even the most gentle of men.

Also not nice to say but if you haven't been around for a while he's got a taste of what its like without it all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought I recognised this problem so looked back and found a thread the Op started about this 3.5 years ago that i had replied to.

Op, this problem has been going on constantly with your OH - you said in Jan 2009 he was fed up of you and saying he'd had enough of your anger etc. This is not a sudden development. This IS a toxic relationship. If you both don't agree to work this out with a counsellor, then you need to end it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't realise this is a long standing problem and not a new development.

Perhaps it is time to draw a line under it and move on, in that case, for both your sakes.

And have some kind of therapy regarding the issues you have, before embarking on another relationship. You deserve to find peace of mind, but while you have so much emotional baggage, it's unlikely to happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's the previous thread in question:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=963610&highlight=

There are actually quite a few threads relating to this issue from the OP, looking for answers to why she behaves this way, is there tablets to stop her anger etc - and every one tells her to get counselling. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ikkleosu wrote: »
    Here's the previous thread in question:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=963610&highlight=

There are actually quite a few threads relating to this issue from the OP, looking for answers to why she behaves this way, is there tablets to stop her anger etc - and every one tells her to get counselling. :(
    That's really sad, it's a shame she hasn't sought some counselling before now. Someone says in that thread - you, possibly - that Relate isn't just for couples. This problem isn't just going to go away without addressing the underlying problems.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, you have posted about this for a fair while now, I do remember some of your previous threads.

You have been told many times over the years that you need to get help. Are you actually serious about saving your relationship, and to be honest any chance of having a future relationship with anybody ?
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Well having read the other thread now and it's obvious you haven't changed I'm not surprised he's snapped! Four years of giving him grief and you wonder why he's had enough?
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The answer is very clear, OP. Sign up for some marriage counselling, or decide to end the relationship. There's nothing else to say.
  • Options
    Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope you are not relying on Digital Spy to give you all the answers you are looking for!

Whether it saves your marriage or not, you need professional help.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I find very sad is that now your husband has turned into an angry aggressive man, where as previously he was kind, gentle and very patient. It does seem as though you spending time at your parents convalescing, has given him time out to live in a quiet peaceful environment. As soon as you returned he has has enough and is on the defence all the time as he can't deal with your anger issues. As much as you feel you might have suddenly seen the light, he has had years of abuse from you and this has changed him for the worse. You need to see this and take responsibility for changing him.

I think you are both better off apart for now, no one has to put up with abuse and he must love you very much to stay for this long. Now though, he seems at the end and the best thing you can do is set him free. You can then focus on your issues and be a better person for the next relationship you find.