Options

So worried, please help!

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Good god Hogzilla that is atrocious. Bloody hell what a spiteful horrible thing to do. Pity help the new neighbours of these assholes.
  • Options
    Jells BellsJells Bells Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    We used to get one of these letters every 3 months without fail. We paid our rent monthly (and yes we calculated it over the year divided by 12 and agreed this all with the council) but they could never cope with this as they were always calculating weekly and so occasionally we would fall into arrears breifly - of course some weeks we were in advance as well.
    They send these letters out despite our many discussions and promises of no more letters.
    So hopefully this might make you feel better that they are sometimes quite meaningless and spat out by a computer.
    Of course don't ignore it - but also - don't panic!
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We used to get one of these letters every 3 months without fail. We paid our rent monthly (and yes we calculated it over the year divided by 12 and agreed this all with the council) but they could never cope with this as they were always calculating weekly and so occasionally we would fall into arrears breifly - of course some weeks we were in advance as well.
    They send these letters out despite our many discussions and promises of no more letters.
    So hopefully this might make you feel better that they are sometimes quite meaningless and spat out by a computer.
    Of course don't ignore it - but also - don't panic!
    We pay our rent Tuesdays when my husband's wages go in, but they calculate Monday - Monday, so technically we're in arrears every week, for a day or two. Also, payments don't show up immediately on their system.

They have an automated payment system which their answerphone and website push relentlessly, but one of the women there told me it takes a week for any payment you make via that, to show - so if you want to use their much vaunted automated payment, you'd have to be at least a week ahead with your rent, to start off with.:eek:

Again, I suspect the threatening letters are fired off pretty regularly, thanks to them having the automated service but not advertising the fact the payments don't register for a week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in a council flat and yesterday received a letter giving me notice to quit.

My husband and I have lived in our current flat since Feb 2012and before that we were living in another council flat but got moved here because of our violent ex neighbour.

I can only think that the council think that I am subletting(I'm not), it's just me and my husband.

They have come to the property three times before whilst carrying out checks on the estate, but I haven't been here as was at work, and I was meant to have a appointment at the office last week but couldn't go as I had someone come round to fix the front door, and I left them a message saying could I make another time, and they called me the day after the appointment saying that is fine to rearrange, then I get the letter.

What can I do, am worried sick, I have a stress releated illness and I really don't want to end up ill.

My husband is going to the office today to show documents to prove that both him and me live here, and he says not to worry but I am so scared.

Its imperative that you as the registered tenant go to the council..you keep saying your husband has the `Note` yet its addressed to you not him...The council will think your co-habiting and claiming benefits your not entitled to.
    Go to the council without delay and present the proof they ask for,..youve made it clear as the tenant that your not co-operating with the councils request and can be evicted unless you meet with them
  • Options
    topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wait a minute, if the OP was claiming housing benefit as if she was a single person and the husband secretly lived there isnt that benefit fraud? is that what the problem is?
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    topcat3 wrote: »
    wait a minute, if the OP was claiming housing benefit as if she was a single person and the husband secretly lived there isnt that benefit fraud? is that what the problem is?

you wouldn`t get notice to quit for that, you`d get housing benefit stopped and made to pay the arrears.
  • Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just me then:o

to bold: blue up the words with your well behaved mouse and click the "B" on the tool bar at the top of the reply box.

I did not know how to do that either:o just one more embarressing question, how do you make it blue:o
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could it be that her husband has been given notice to quit because the OP hasn't told the council that they are married.

Husband then applies for council tax benefit and council thinks someone else other than the person who is on the books as the tenant is living there. Council then wants "lodger" out and may come after the OP for sub-letting too

OP - did you ever tell the council that your personal circumstances had changed?

Because Free came here as she was particularly worried, having a lodger or moving in a bf/husband/bit on the side, is not sub-letting.

Good gods I used 'bf' :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    fredster wrote: »
    I did not know how to do that either:o just one more embarressing question, how do you make it blue:o

:cool:

hold the left mouse button down whilst dragging it across the text you want to bold.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I live in a council flat and yesterday recieved a letter giving me notice to quit.

My husband and I have lived in our current flat since Feb 2012and before that we were living in another council flat but got moved here because of our violent ex neighbour.

I can only think that the council think that I am subletting(I'm not), it's just me and my husband.
    What has made you jump to that conclusion?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Lol thanks for asking that fredster I tried and failed. :o:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    What has made you jump to that conclusion?
    'Cos the letter said so! She's already said that.

Problem is that the wife is the tenant but housing benefit is in the husband's name so they think she's subletting to him. She needs to go there and take her marriage certificate with her to show that they are a couple. She either hasn't changed her surname to his or hasn't told the council housing people so the names don't match.
  • Options
    Free as a birdFree as a bird Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evening, well spoke to the invesigations officer this morning and I have an appointment on Thursday morning, where I have to take all my id etc to prove that I am living at the property. I asked her whether the reason I am having to go for an interview is because they came to the property three times and I wasn't there, and she said she can't answer over that over the phone, and she will let me know when I have the interview with her and her manager :eek::eek::eek:

Why does her manager need to be there, to me it sounds really serious.

I am sure they think I am subletting because she said that they have been doing tenancy checks around the estate, so it is probably like three strikes(three times they have come), and you are not there or don't answer and you are out.

Part of the notice to quit reads that I am now occupying the property without the consent of the owner, the council and that the investigation officer can appoint either herself or someone else on the 25th Feb 2013 next or the expiration of the week, which shall expire next after the end of four weeks, poession of my property :confused::(
  • Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Lol thanks for asking that fredster I tried and failed. :o:D

I am glad I am not the only dim one where technology is concerned. can you copy and paste? I can't:o
    (sorry free as a bird)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am glad I am not the only dim one where technology is concerned. can you copy and paste? I can't:o
    (sorry free as a bird)

:D

blue text with the left mouse button then right click on the blue bit and select copy, put your cursor where you want the text to go, right click and select paste.

sorry avas for not explaning it better:o

take someone with you freeas.
  • Options
    harry hamsterharry hamster Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evening, well spoke to the invesigations officer this morning and I have an appointment on Thursday morning, where I have to take all my id etc to prove that I am living at the property. I asked her whether the reason I am having to go for an interview is because they came to the property three times and I wasn't there, and she said she can't answer over that over the phone, and she will let me know when I have the interview with her and her manager :eek::eek::eek:

Why does her manager need to be there, to me it sounds really serious.

I am sure they think I am subletting because she said that they have been doing tenancy checks around the estate, so it is probably like three strikes(three times they have come), and you are not there or don't answer and you are out.

Part of the notice to quit reads that I am now occupying the property without the consent of the owner, the council and that the investigation officer can appoint either herself or someone else on the 25th Feb 2013 next or the expiration of the week, which shall expire next after the end of four weeks, poession of my property :confused::(

That reads as if court action has already taken place. i noticed on a previous thread you wrote about having rent arrears from a previous council property. is it possible your husband has been hiding mail sent to you ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :D

blue text with the left mouse button then right click on the blue bit and select copy, put your cursor where you want the text to go, right click and select paste.

sorry avas for not explaning it better:o

take someone with you freeas.

that`s dragging the mouse over the text.
  • Options
    scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Op, Is your husbands name along with yours on the tenancy ?
    Even if your married and using your husbands surname the name(s) cannot be just Mr & Mrs ******
    It has to be Mr A ****** and Mrs B ******
    This could be your problem If his name is not on the tenancy at all .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have a Letter from the council, addressed to you (mrs) you have a Marriage certificate, other ID for yourself. Proof of tennency, and a rent book (of some kind) and proof of paying bills at the property and your husband has ID, and proof of paying bills at the property (a gas bill and or council tax etc)

when you go to the meeting on Thursday take these with you.

I advise going to the meeting (arrive about 2-5 minutes early) if you arrive too early it loks as though you are panicing. but don't be late.
    Stay calm what ever they say. THEY CAN'T KICK YOU OUT ONTO THE STREET. As a tennant you have rights, if they persue the eviction go to citizens advice straight away. they will give you advice and tell you what your legal position is.
    Explain in detail your situation, use your 'evidence' to show you and your husband have been living in the flat and that if any 'rules' or 'clauses' in the 'tennency agreement' have been broken, it was unintentional. Say SORRY this can really help Grovling isn't good but most officials respond well to a genuine appology.
    When/if the present situation is resolved, ask to change your tennency agreement ot include both your husbands' and your own name.
    finally what ever happens don't lose your temper (keep your husband calm too) I find it never helps in the now or with future tennencies, business etc if you 'lose it'. councils' and letting agencies 'mark' records with CODE like 'D' Difficult. and 'P' Pushy (illegal 'maybe') but it can make it hard to find another home.
    All the best for thursday. we'd all like to know how you get on. if there is anything more we can help with (sad I know) but we're always here. Voicy.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any update on this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    (sorry free as a bird)

Copy and paste? Hahaha no to that either I am afraid. :o No update OP?
  • Options
    Free as a birdFree as a bird Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all

First of all a massive thanks to all who replied and gave me much needed support, secondly a massive sorry for not updating before now.

I didn't have any internet access at home and couldn't log in on my phone.

The meeting went well, the reason I got the notice was because after doing some background checks I showed up as still being on the electrol roll at my parents(which I have now contacted the old council about, and I should be getting a letter saying I have been removed from the roll)

I took my documents along to prove my current address and they were happy with what I produced, and said they wish that more people were honest like me, they have also sent me a letter telling me they are satisifed that I am still eligible for council housing.

Am so happy that it has all been sorted.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Good news then. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all

First of all a massive thanks to all who replied and gave me much needed support, secondly a massive sorry for not updating before now.

I didn't have any internet access at home and couldn't log in on my phone.

The meeting went well, the reason I got the notice was because after doing some background checks I showed up as still being on the electrol roll at my parents(which I have now contacted the old council about, and I should be getting a letter saying I have been removed from the roll)

I took my documents along to prove my current address and they were happy with what I produced, and said they wish that more people were honest like me, they have also sent me a letter telling me they are satisifed that I am still eligible for council housing.

Am so happy that it has all been sorted.

I'm sorry I haven't congratulated you before this but well done, its really good to hear a 'good-news-story sometimes.