Why Would Millionairess Janine want to stay in Walford

2»

Comments

• Options
    IanMandyIanMandy Posts: 14,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Although she did say that to Archie, I think her wanting The Vic will be more as a status symbol than personal affection - it is 'the' business and hub of the Square. It is the perception that whoever owns it, is the Lord of the Manor.

That would play a big role, however, I remember her talking fondly about past Christmases in the pub. It's certainly the place she was happiest and I find it very believable that she'd want it- for the same reason that Sharon would want it
  • Options
    maggiekmaggiek Posts: 2,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To the OP: Ya' got me.

Even though I don't watch EE anymore, it always amused that some of the residents owned cars such as; Mercedes, BMW yet did not have a washing machines. The rest of the "skint" somehow managed to eat out all of the time too (albeit in places like the Cafe). That's soapland for you, I suppose.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IanMandy wrote: »
    That would play a big role, however, I remember her talking fondly about past Christmases in the pub. It's certainly the place she was happiest and I find it very believable that she'd want it- for the same reason that Sharon would want it

I agree to an extent, but I don't think Janine's attachment to the Vic is particularly strong in comparison to some of its other residents.
  • Options
    Otis HillOtis Hill Posts: 2,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Filiman wrote: »
    Sorry, but Her wanting to own the vic is a HUGE retcon since she never previously expressed ANY attachment to it at all.

I don't think her wanting the Vic is a retcon at all. IanMandy has already mentioned why but I think that as well as those reasons its a case of you don't know what you've got till its gone. Janine might never have appreciated her time in the Vic while she was there but when she looks back on it she realises how much happier she was
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    IanMandy wrote: »

I agree that there is a small element of that but nowhere near as strongly as with Sharon and it does seem like they are just nicking her motivation. I think it would be more for the Status symbol as I said and also possibly as revenge on the Mitchells for having kicked her out when Frank left and again, the way they treated he when she was with Archie.
  • Options
    Otis HillOtis Hill Posts: 2,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maurice45 wrote: »
    I agree to an extent, but I don't think Janine's attachment to the Vic is particularly strong in comparison to some of its other residents.

I think the only other living person with real affection for the Vic is Peggy. I think Phil sees it purely as a business and I doubt Alfie will ever truly believe its his home while he's shacked up with Roxy and just renting it. I don't think Sharon cares as much for the Vic since her dad and brother-husband were killed inside and right in front of it respectively. The rest of the previous landlord and landladies are deceased except for Chrissie
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still can't understand in any way (If Sharon returns to the Vic) why Sharon would want to work, or even own the Vic after her father was murdered inside by the bar in cold blood and then buried in the cellar. In reality, she wouldn't want to go anywhere near the place let alone own it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Otis Hill wrote: »
    I think the only other living person with real affection for the Vic is Peggy. I think Phil sees it purely as a business and I doubt Alfie will ever truly believe its his home while he's shacked up with Roxy and just renting it. I don't think Sharon cares as much for the Vic since her dad and brother-husband were killed inside and right in front of it respectively. The rest of the previous landlord and landladies are deceased except for Chrissie

The Vic will probably always be the love of Peggy's life. Sharon's view of the vic will probably be bittersweet, but the kind of thing you'd rather not think about. Too many ghosts (deaths and heartache) there for her.

Chrissie was probably the least attached to the Vic which IMO is ironic because she was a great landlady.
  • Options
    IanMandyIanMandy Posts: 14,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was Sharon who opened the Vic the day after Den's body was found as she wanted to carry on as normal- and she lived there with the Mitchells. Despite everything, the Vic is her only true home
  • Options
    felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    Janine is the only character on the show who could realistically afford to own a house on Albert Square
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    I think that Sharon's need to own the Vic was near obsessive for several years but she is now well and truly over it. She has learned that she can't recapture her happy child hood (and in all honesty, that was probably rose tinted spectacles stuff she was cherishing because Den was dead) and it has just brought her more misery. She didn't want Den to rebuy it in 2004 and I suspect she is even less keen now. If anything R+R has taken over her affections because she worked there with Dennis.

Yes, she said to open up the day after Den's body was discovered but that was just Angie Wats' daughter coming out - you paint a smile on and open up your boozer no matter what and whether she liked it or not, the Vic was in her family at that stage.

No, I think that Peggy is the only one that really cares about it for itself now, as opposed to just being a business or 'the' property to own in Walford. Maybe Roxy as well.
  • Options
    Cuddly_CatCuddly_Cat Posts: 2,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maggiek wrote: »
    In response to the OP: ya' got me.

I haven't seen the show in ages yet always wondered how people in EE would own a Mercedes or BMW yet don't have a washing machine. That's soapland for you :)
    I know...more or less no one owns a washing machine. In fact do they all go to the launderette?
    felixrex wrote: »
    Janine is the only character on the show who could realistically afford to own a house on Albert Square
    True. I'd like to see Janine buy The Vic. She is strong, feisty, and rich enough. I'd love to see her as landlady behind the bar. It's time for Alfie to go.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess it's a bit like this

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tvtzsWo5YfA

The real question in EastEnders is how most of the rest of the cast can afford their houses...
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    She just wants to lord it over those who, rightly, used to look down on her.

She only employs Silly Billy so she can boss him about

Spot on.