Options

£800 cost to Tax Payers?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Killer compensated for damaged nose clippers.:o

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-27185544

What next a public collection to send him on holiday to recover from such a traumatic experience poor dear..

Comments

• Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »

What next a public collection to send him on holiday to recover from such a traumatic experience poor dear..

Apparently £500 of that was because the Guards (or Prison) didn't apologize to the prisoner for losing them.

I think that unless we are going to condone poor treatment of prisoners then they should be allowed to sue for lost possessions.

He would have only got £350 if they had appologised, and would have got a lot less if they had replaced his lost items.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sort of okay about it (as koantemplation posted they didn't handle it very well). The only thing bothers me is that apparently he posted something sarky to his Facebook account so I'm wondering why he has access to that.
  • Options
    Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »

erm blame the system not the claimant
  • Options
    this_is_methis_is_me Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    I'm sort of okay about it (as koantemplation posted they didn't handle it very well). The only thing bothers me is that apparently he posted something sarky to his Facebook account so I'm wondering why he has access to that.

It was posted on his behalf by his mates.
  • Options
    Buster1874Buster1874 Posts: 1,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The warders who he injured in Frankland Prison haven't got a penny in compensation, yet murderers get away with this and brag about it on their Facebook page. Why on earth do they have access to Facebook?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buster1874 wrote: »
    The warders who he injured in Frankland Prison haven't got a penny in compensation, yet murderers get away with this and brag about it on their Facebook page. Why on earth do they have access to Facebook?
    this_is_me wrote: »
    It was posted on his behalf by his mates.
    Ah. Irritating but can't be helped.
  • Options
    radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    Ah. Irritating but can't be helped.
    Oh I think you'll find it can, by simply removing liberals from the justice system. They are the problem NOT the solution.
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the moment, he is just as entitled to use the legal system as the rest of us. However, in the same way as the sex offender who wanted to keep the images on his laptop, I think the law needs to be changed here.
  • Options
    IyahIyah Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    At the moment, he is just as entitled to use the legal system as the rest of us. However, in the same way as the sex offender who wanted to keep the images on his laptop, I think the law needs to be changed here.

Changed to what?
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We must have the most spineless and squeamish judiciary on the planet.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    I think laws and rules should apply to everyone. You don't get excused for doing something wrong just because the person you did it to is a criminal.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What did they expect?

It sounds like they basically didn't treat his possessions at all correctly and both lost and damaged a number of items including various personal bits and pieces such as photographs as well as electricals including a stereo and an alarm clock, not just some nose clippers.

He may have been a prisoner but he still has the right to have his personal possessions properly and safely stored and moved with him from prison to prison.

They break it, they pay for it and give compensation. Arguably because he's in prison that sort of stuff matters a whole lot more. When you don't have anything small things like a tube of toothpaste or a bottle of drink becomes significant, let alone literally all of your worldly possessions.
  • Options
    Malice CooperMalice Cooper Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They lost./stole his few possessions. They should replace them.
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iyah wrote: »
    Changed to what?

Well for a start, I'm all for replacing the goods that were lost, but the majority of the £800 was compensation.
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I blame the judge in this case. I can only assume he failed to take into account factors around the case. Let's not forget this guy stabbed 3 guards with a broken bottle in this prison before he had to be moved to a different prison. Considering this he is luckly he only lost a few items.

Now from a legal point of few I can understand some compensation to replace the items lost. But the figures dont add up ?

£224.97 for damage to his stereo, alarm clock and nasal clippers. Not sure where this judge is shopping but that seems a lot even if you had them brand new.

He was also awarded £90 after items including a carton of cranberry juice, protein powder and toiletries were lost, which he claimed left him "stressed" Are you kidding me a carton of cranberry juice how can this be claimed !!! Judge is mental and should be locked up as well.

Judge Hickman awarded him a further £500 to compensate him for lost photographs and personal items, making £814.97 in total. Not sure what personal items he had but this is a prison why would you have anything of that value on the inside ?

I can see how they should have replace some of the items lost but not to the tune of 800. The problem is some Judges just dont live in the same world we do. They really have no idea how much things costs so you get large differences between cases in the sums offered.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Wish I knew who these guys got to fight their cases for them.

After a leaky waste pipe in the council house, next door, caused my bathroom ceiling to collapse, loosened all the bathroom wall-tiles, ruined the bathroom carpet, and peeled all the wallpaper off my living room wall, ruined the bathroom carpet and required the wall to be re-plastered, I got a total of £165 compo' off the council.

And that was a final offer, after their initial offer was £50 to cover part of my insurance excess.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A crazy decision, but sadly this sort of thing doesn't surprise me any more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radyag wrote: »
    Oh I think you'll find it can, by simply removing liberals from the justice system. They are the problem NOT the solution.
    How exactly would you stop a convict's mate from posting Facebook updates?

It would be inhuman to prevent a convict from communicating with friends and family (and counter productive actually since it would further isolate them from society). It would be utterly unacceptable to prevent innocent people from posting status updates to Facebook.