• Options
    B*witchedB*witched Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    Yes, love the soaps.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There used to be Sky Soap which if I remember rightly wasn't too successful despite lasting for 5 years. I think there could be a market for it if it was done properly and not just full of American daytime soaps, which have proved many times not to be as popular over here as some people think.
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I used to love Crossroads! Wow, nostalgia. I think I was about 10 or 11 when it was on!
  • Options
    thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the idea of a soap channel but sadly if one existed i doubt i would leave the house so maybe its best i don't fuel the addiction more?
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the idea of a soap channel but sadly if one existed i doubt i would leave the house so maybe its best i don't fuel the addiction more?

This, quite frankly. The idea of a soap channel is something I love but I'd want to watch everything on it. I'd become a recluse!
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind watching Brookie again from the beginning, but other than that, not really.
  • Options
    CPW4EVERCPW4EVER Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There used to be Sky Soap which if I remember rightly wasn't too successful despite lasting for 5 years. I think there could be a market for it if it was done properly and not just full of American daytime soaps, which have proved many times not to be as popular over here as some people think.

With the exception of Sunset Beach, no American daytime soap has ever really been very popular in the UK even though many different channels have tried at various stages to make Days, B&B, Y&R and Santa Barbara happen.

A channel with classic UK and Aussie soaps would be great. As well as those already mentioned, I'd love to see Family Affairs, Night and Day, Families, The Sullivans and A Country Practice as well as some of the more short lived 90s Aussie ones like Pacific Drive, E Street and Breakers. There was another one from the early 00's called Something in the Air that ran for 260 episodes but never aired over here. Eric Bana was in it.
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CPW4EVER wrote: »
    With the exception of Sunset Beach, no American daytime soap has ever really been very popular in the UK even though many different channels have tried at various stages to make Days, B&B, Y&R and Santa Barbara happen.

A channel with classic UK and Aussie soaps would be great. As well as those already mentioned, I'd love to see Family Affairs, Night and Day, Families, The Sullivans and A Country Practice as well as some of the more short lived 90s Aussie ones like Pacific Drive, E Street and Breakers. There was another one from the early 00's called Something in the Air that ran for 260 episodes but never aired over here. Eric Bana was in it.
    B&B actually went down really well a few years ago. It was Diva TV's highest rated show after Oprah. Then some new channel bought the rights, only for it to never get off the ground. After losing that and later Oprah too, Diva sunk and ceased broadcasting about a year later. It's a real shame.
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    radyag wrote: »
    With the likes of:

SANTA BARBARA
    CROSSROADS (1982 central episodes)
    SONS AND DAUGHTERS
    BROOKSIDE
    ELDORADO
    PRISONER;CELL BLOCK H
    FALCON CREST
    THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL (1987}
    SUNSET BEACH
    GENERAL HOSPITAL
    AS THE WORLD TURNS (2005 onwards)

no, not if it only showed those soaps I wouldnt
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    B&B actually went down really well a few years ago. It was Diva TV's highest rated show after Oprah. Then some new channel bought the rights, only for it to never get off the ground. After losing that and later Oprah too, Diva sunk and ceased broadcasting about a year later. It's a real shame.

That's a shame that Diva lost the rights in that way when it was doing well. I quite like both B&B and Y&R but half the problem with the US soaps is that they're never shown on the one channel for long enough to build up a strong fanbase. I think B&B has aired on Sky One, Living, Channel 5, Diva and Hallmark over the last 20 years in the UK with each channel picking up episodes at different points in the storylines so viewers have had little or no continuity when the show changed channels.
  • Options
    David the WavidDavid the Wavid Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they showed early Coronation Street then yes, otherwise no.
  • Options
    missemmerdale22missemmerdale22 Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If showed classic era of corrie emmerdale eastenders and waterloo road
  • Options
    Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Non stop.
  • Options
    DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
    Forum Member
    I like the idea of a soap channel, but they would have to have a varied line up - not everyone is into US soaps. I also think if they aired US soaps, then B&B would have to be new episodes, as it has the most viewer appreciation, and may be more likely to attract new viewers. (And if they could bag themselves a Freeview slot, that would help them greatly.)

But, a soap channel would leave my PVR bursting with shows to watch, and I probably wouldn't be able to commit to watching as many as I would like. I think that's one of the reasons why soap channels fail: they are a big commitment, and the rights to a lot of soaps are expensive to buy.
  • Options
    BirdcageBirdcage Posts: 6,499
    Forum Member
    Non stop.

Same here! I'd love to be able to watch Brookside again.
  • Options
    newlampwicknewlampwick Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    I would be very pleased if a channel showed Brookie & Neighbours episodes before approx '94.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deschanel wrote: »
    I think that's one of the reasons why soap channels fail: they are a big commitment, and the rights to a lot of soaps are expensive to buy.

On the subject of rights, I know the whole ownership thing can get a bit conplicated but does anyone know who owns what or what is the whole process of getting the repeat rights to a soap. We've seen classic Corrie & EE repeated over the years quite a bit while shows like Family Affairs and Night & Day have never been repeated. Despite being quite popular back in it's heyday, I don't think Brookside has had a repeat run since the 90s and the only rerun of Hollyoaks that I can recall was on Trouble in the late 90s or early 00s.
  • Options
    adamski94adamski94 Posts: 3,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If showed classic era of corrie emmerdale eastenders and waterloo road

Do you know waterloo road gets repeated on cbs drama on sky ch 149 :D
  • Options
    David the WavidDavid the Wavid Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CPW4EVER wrote: »
    On the subject of rights, I know the whole ownership thing can get a bit conplicated but does anyone know who owns what or what is the whole process of getting the repeat rights to a soap. We've seen classic Corrie & EE repeated over the years quite a bit while shows like Family Affairs and Night & Day have never been repeated. Despite being quite popular back in it's heyday, I don't think Brookside has had a repeat run since the 90s and the only rerun of Hollyoaks that I can recall was on Trouble in the late 90s or early 00s.

Corrie has only had one repeat run, and it was from 1976 rather than the beginning.

What I wouldn't give for a chance to watch the beginnings of Corrie in order.
  • Options
    Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This, quite frankly. The idea of a soap channel is something I love but I'd want to watch everything on it. I'd become a recluse!

You guys can always catch up on the internet you know.
  • Options
    ameredithameredith Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if it just featured our soaps and not American ones. I would like to see some of old Hollyoaks episodes, Brookside, Family Affairs and Eastenders in the 80s and 90s. I got addicted to one American soap and they took it off.
  • Options
    SelenaSelena Posts: 29,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it showed old episodes of current soaps i'd be interested.
  • Options
    David166David166 Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't UK Gold used to air old episodes of Eastenders? Correct me if I'm wrong
  • Options
    tinyditinydi Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Would love a soap channel, remember when Sky had there own soap channel, woul tape most of the English ones and watch them at weekends..

Would love to see again
    Early Crossroads
    Take the High Road
    Albion Market
    Angels
    The Sullivans
    Shortland Street
    A Country Practice
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ideal afternoon line up for me would be

12pm Classic Emmerdale
    12.30pm Classic Coronation Street
    1pm Take The High Road
    1.30pm Eldorado
    2pm Families
    2.30pm The Young Doctors
    3pm Sons and Daughters
    3.30pm The Sulivans
    4pm Sunset Beach
    5pm The Bold and The Beautiful
    5.30pm Soap (yes not a soap but would be quirky to have on a soap channel).