Taking an instant dislike to someone?

Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why does this happen? I always try and take people at face value and hold off taking a dislike to them unless they do something to annoy/upset me. However occasionally I will meet a person who I just dislike from the off, they could be perfectly nice and friendly but there will just be something about them that gets my hackles up and make me want to keep them at arms length. Often these will be people who seem to be popular and well liked by everyone else.

Is this some kind of gut instinct that's trying to protect us from harm? With me it happens so infrequently that I always take note of what my instincts are telling me. Are we subconsciously picking up bad vibes from them? Is it down to body language?

Why do we do this?

Comments

• FilliAFilliA Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With some people it saves time.
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    There are subtle body language cues which only the subconsciousness may pick up. Things such as eye movements or the way they speak or stand may trigger certain defensive responses so you don't trust them.
  • Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happens here all the time
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can remember one person this happened with - she's probably the only person it's ever happened with as well. It was an old boss of mine at my first proper job. On her first day she apparently went round to the secretary's area at around 8:45am and barked "Where's my Staff? They're LATE!" rather sternly.

Once I heard about this, I took an instant dislike to her and over the years I was at that firm, that dislike was justified many times over. She was everything I despise about a person from top to bottom. I was almost relieved when I was made redundant !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know exactly what you mean. I don't know what it is either.
    I have ignored it a couple of times, and convinced myself I was being silly and regreted not listening to my instincts massively.

Must be something left over from primevial[spl?] instinct, like sensing danger, or spiders.
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost everyone I've took an instant dislike to has been a total bellend. I think you just know...
  • TheWireRulesTheWireRules Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As you get older, you get wiser and your mind becomes more stubborn. You know what you like/dislike and are pretty much set in your ways. So you know this person isn't going to be your cup of tea.

It's a getting old thing, for me anyway.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WoodenCat wrote: »
    I know exactly what you mean. I don't know what it is either.
    I have ignored it a couple of times, and convinced myself I was being silly and regreted not listening to my instincts massively.

Must be something left over from primevial[spl?] instinct, like sensing danger, or spiders.

That's very interesting, because disliking someone for no reason is irrational and some might say unkind. However as you've just said your instincts were eventually proved correct.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm the complete opposite. I always presume I'll like every person I meet until I get the chance to make a proper opinion - then I end up hating almost everyone ;-)
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr H never takes instant dislikes to anyone. (My default is dislike then you have to win me over). But once, just once, this particular woman he loathed on sight. Mention her name and he'd rant for ages. We all thought it was a bit of a joke. I even quite liked her. But then, over time, she showed her true colours and it's fair to say was a total arse. He'd been right all along.

Now I trust his instincts about people. But not my own.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think its natural and occurs in the sub-conscious. People say that when you go for a job interview, a decision is made within the first 20 or 30 seconds, that people will judge you by your body language, physical appearance and behaviour etc. in that time. I suppose there's maybe some sort of survival element to it, if someone seems a bit erratic then its maybe a safety thing that tells you to keep a bit of a distance from them, incase they turn against you or something? but thats probably unlikely to apply to a lot of people.

I've judged people shortly after meeting them and felt quite guilty for it as I honestly don't like stereotypes and generalising people but it does seem to be something that happens naturally, without us necessarily realising, until you catch yourself questioning something and have to wonder 'why are you thinking that?'.
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does this happen? I always try and take people at face value and hold off taking a dislike to them unless they do something to annoy/upset me. However occasionally I will meet a person who I just dislike from the off, they could be perfectly nice and friendly but there will just be something about them that gets my hackles up and make me want to keep them at arms length. Often these will be people who seem to be popular and well liked by everyone else.

Is this some kind of gut instinct that's trying to protect us from harm? With me it happens so infrequently that I always take note of what my instincts are telling me. Are we subconsciously picking up bad vibes from them? Is it down to body language?

Why do we do this?
    BiB = masked jealousy would be my guess.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    cultureman wrote: »
    I don't think that's the reason.

OP it's not unusual. I think plenty of people have been in the same situation.
    I know I have.
  • catherine91catherine91 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This happened to me with one of my senior colleagues. When I went for the job interview, she wasn't even the one interviewing me and yet I still got 'bad vibes' from her! When I started the job I tried to like her but just couldn't. I know I'm not the only one at my workplace with this issue either!
  • Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always know within a few minutes of talking to someone if I like them, most of the time my judgement is right as well
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always try to like people, being of this old-fashioned belief that there is good in everyone. As TheWireRules suggests, though, it can be an age thing and I have become more cynical. I remember being at an academic conference and my supervisor was, like, 'woo' over these two fellow academics who were also her friends. I couldn't stand the sight of them, which I thought was odd as my supervisor was a friendly, clever and grounded woman. However, once these two people, one of them in particular, opened their mouths I disliked them even more. Superior, condescending people who were actually psychologists.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    cultureman wrote: »

That was my thought as well.
  • Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a few times and was right.

One that sticks in my mind is wife of my Dad's boss's son. Everyone thought she was the bees knees but I just had a bad vibe (or something) from her.

I was right - she turned out to be a right one.

I do try to see people as good (until proved otherwise) but sometimes the gut instinct is in overdrive.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it says more about you than them
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it is a survival mechanism from days of old. You are no longer going to be in danger (physical) danger from strangers these days, but your gut instinct is a throw back from olden times. I believe you should go with your gut instinct. Interestingly, studies have shown women to have this instinct far more than men. Maybe that too is a throwback, protective instinct to keep the children safe.

I have ignored a bad vibe before despite my gut instinct screaming at me otherwise. This has always been to my detriment. Another earlier poster says that having this gut instinct saves time, and that is spot on.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it is a survival mechanism from days of old. You are no longer going to be in danger (physical) danger from strangers these days, but your gut instinct is a throw back from olden times. I believe you should go with your gut instinct. Interestingly, studies have shown women to have this instinct far more than men. Maybe that too is a throwback, protective instinct to keep the children safe.

I have ignored a bad vibe before despite my gut instinct screaming at me otherwise. This has always been to my detriment. Another earlier poster says that having this gut instinct saves time, and that is spot on.

I'm sorry but what language are you speaking, it appears to be bollocks, gut instinct is imo not something to go on in some cases it might be right but that would probably be coincidental
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only when someone is bad mannered or thinks I got off the banana boat yesterday, a scowl usually does the trick.
  • Rick_DavisRick_Davis Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only had this happen once, and it was unfortunate enough to be a person we were staying with in Florida and important to a friend I was traveling with for business.

I just smiled and played pleasant.
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry but what language are you speaking, it appears to be bollocks, gut instinct is imo not something to go on in some cases it might be right but that would probably be coincidental

Deleted. Was unnecessary.
  • incy wincyincy wincy Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How rude, especially given that you've posted your opinion on the matter without any evidence whereas the poster you've criticised has actually made reference to studies done into the area of discussion. I think instincts should be listened to more, they are there for a reason. Of course, most people are sensible enough to temper their instinct to see if it is proven correct, but it is worth listening to the instinctive reaction and being slightly cautious of people if you feel you have reason.

I have occasionally found myself taking an instant dislike to people and I'm not always able to put my finger on it. There's a bloke at work like that at the moment, I can't describe what it is about him that I don't like, but I just don't like him. I don't have enough to do with him to find out if my feeling is justified or not but when I have had dealings with him I find him a bit dense at what he's doing.