Can we now agree Rooney is not a World Class Player

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Was he ever, in my book no, and should have been dropped year's ago..

Comments

• Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Err.. Rooney played well tonight. He was the only one in England's team who did.
  • O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    Was England's best player tonight probably.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    myscimitar wrote: »

Ignoring the bias in your remarks, the correct answer to the thread title is: no. We cannot agree.

Certain players underperformed tonight but Rooney wasn't one of them.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And to accommodate that, we put lethal in form striker Sturridge hugging the touch line out wide right. Resorting to diving.

Was it worth that?
  • AstraZenAstraZen Posts: 810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. If anyone isn't good enough its Gerard + Henderson
  • morganb1611morganb1611 Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    Thought Baines was the best player tonight, more in the second half when he began taking on defenders and his final balls were decent.

Also Rooney missed an absolute sitter early in second half. He got in position to score so credit there, and probably was just above the mediocrity of the most of the team.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or maybe we can agree that there are 10 other players in the England side as well ?

All we hear is Rooney Rooney Rooney bloody Rooney. It gets so bloody tedious.
  • BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    Really? Rooney is still the villain?

People forget that his goals got us to Brazil, and he played well tonight, scored one World Cup goal (finally!) and was unlucky not to score another.

World Class Player? No. Best player on the pitch for us? Probably.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myscimitar wrote: »

The man was probably our best player tonight, he scored as well, and still it is not good enough for some people.

Jog on.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    O'Neill wrote: »
    Was England's best player tonight probably.

That's not really saying much though, is it...
  • O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    That's not really saying much though, is it...

Maybe, but he did enough to stop this vilification at least.
  • PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    Rooney shouldn't be made a scapegoat for tonight, but it's time for everyone to be honest and admit he's not in the same league as true world-class players like Suarez, nevermind Messi or Ronaldo. that performance by Suarez tonight shows just what the standard is (or should be) to be viewed in that company. half-fit, his country considered second-favourites and needing him after a terrible show on Saturday, and he decides the game with two marvellous finishes. THAT'S world-class.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    England have only had one world class player in the last 20 odd years and thats Ashley Cole.
  • Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    England have only had one world class player in the last 20 odd years and thats Ashley Cole.

Paul Scholes?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Err... NO! Paul Gascoigne if you are just picking one. Ashley Cole is not even in the same league.

Edit: I would also agree with Scoles.
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best player tonight? Wow, that excuses his failures in multiple competitions then.

Got us to the world cup? Yeah, because there are no other Englishmen who can score against the mighty San Marino and Montenegro.

Rooney three chances one goal, Suarez two chances two goals.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    Err... NO! Paul Gascoigne if you are just picking one. Ashley Cole is not even in the same league.

Edit: I would also agree with Scoles.

Possibly Scholes. Gascoigne had the potential. Never made it though. He was too much of a liability.

Actually scrap that. I stand by my no world class players. Weve had good players but no World class. I consider World Class to be the best player in thr world in their position whilst they are playing. Cole fits the bill, no one else does.
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or maybe we can agree that there are 10 other players in the England side as well ?

All we hear is Rooney Rooney Rooney bloody Rooney. It gets so bloody tedious.

Yeah like I say, its impossible for him to be just another good team player, in the way Sturridge or Sterling is.

The two England goals scored so far in the tournament were both scored by him and assissted by him. What else do people want? He's 10 goals away from breaking Bobby Charltons record!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly Scholes. Gascoigne had the potential. Never made it though. He was too much of a liability.

Actually scrap that. I stand by my no world class players. Weve had good players but no World class. I consider World Class to be the best player in thr world in their position whilst they are playing. Cole fits the bill, no one else does.

In 1990 Gazza was considered to be at least in the top 2-3 best players in the world, arguably on par with a declining Maradona.
  • Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best paid player, though! He makes more money per second that the entire population of the UK. Lucky git. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Rooney has never been "world class." England would be far better off if he just announced his international retirement.
  • BikoBiko Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wouldn't say he was world class but who would you have, easily the most consistent engilsh attacking midfielder/forward for the last few years. he's the best of a bad bunch really, no ones challenged him.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really can't wait until the World Cup is over.
  • RunawayGroomRunawayGroom Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought he was pretty decent tonight to be honest. He was unlucky not to get two goals himself and he looked much more lively
  • gladiator18gladiator18 Posts: 3,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which clown actually thought rooney was world class? Hahahaha go on own up.

Misses a sitter against italy. Misses a sitter against uruguay, hits it straight at the keeper.

Suarez, gets two chances and buries them.

Stop with this nonsense that rooney is world class, anyone with a brain can see that hes not