time to get rid of the 1 & 2p

2»

Comments

• ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    Not the ones which turn up as attic finds. Maybe, by the time they're discovered, the coins will have become rare collectibles.

I think to enable this scheme you'd have to first increase the availability of those swipey credit cards and make buses accept them as they've done in London.

Not sure about coins, but notes can be exchanged for face value even if they are no longer used.

So if anyone's got any old £1 notes cash them is :)

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Pages/about/faqs.aspx#1
    10. Are old Bank of England notes worthless?
    No; all Bank of England notes retain their face value for all time. If your local bank, building society or Post Office is not willing to accept these notes then they can be exchanged with the Bank of England in London. For more information on how to exchange Bank of England banknotes that have been withdrawn from circulation see the exchanging banknotes page.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's my fun ruined at the seaside amusements then.

Ah the 1p/2p slots. I used to love them :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I know several people who just throw their 1 and 2p coins into the bin. What a waste. Just put them in charity tin instead of chucking them out! >:(
  • Lisa_ClaydenLisa_Clayden Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    They do seem quite pointless and I don't use them in the shop they just sit in my piggy bank.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    Ok - I admit defeat. Don't drop coppers as everything we buy would go up by a whole penny and cause instant destitution across the UK. Sorry for even thinking there might be a beneficial side-effect. Or maybe the same logic that rounds prices down - customer interaction, offer codes, prob others who cares - would still apply and prices wouldn't automatically increase by the huge margin that could knock the recovery off course. Or something. Probably.
    This would sorry just might be offset by the price of straw men going up though. :D
    Resonance wrote: »
    Not sure about coins, but notes can be exchanged for face value even if they are no longer used.

So if anyone's got any old £1 notes cash them is :)

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Pages/about/faqs.aspx#1
    No wai, I'm hanging onto those mothers to sell on eBay. Numismatism for the win LOL.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This would sorry just might be offset by the price of straw men going up though. :D

No wai, I'm hanging onto those mothers to sell on eBay. Numismatism for the win LOL.

Yes, looking at eBay they do seem to be going for more than face value.

Cash your old tenners in then :)
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    Yes, looking at eBay they do seem to be going for more than face value.

Cash your old tenners in then :)
    Probably about time I dug out that bin bag full of outdated John Houblon fifty quids sewn into my mattress. :D
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably about time I dug out that bin bag full of outdated John Houblon fifty quids sewn into my mattress. :D

You mean, your old mattress?
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still haven't recovered from when they did away with the Farthing.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Yep - get rid of all the brown money.

When I get it in change I never use it. It just sits about the house gathering dust.
  • FoxywarriorFoxywarrior Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    It would bugger up the 99p stores if nothing else! :p