Options

The world:- winners and losers.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
Forum Member
We're all being told to make something of ourselves and succeed but what would the world be like if we were all big success or failures? We get told that joining the armed forces gives us a direction and do something with our lives but not everybody can be a success or winner can they?

Comments

• Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    motsy wrote: »
    not everybody can be a success or winner can they?

Surely it depends how you define success. One person's success would be another person's failing.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really depends how a person defines success/failure and winner/loser.
  • Options
    AchtungAchtung Posts: 10,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I won £40 on a scratch card today if that counts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    Surely it depends how you define success. One person's success would be another person's failing.

Alright, then. Do well at school, get good grades, pass your exams, go to university and do well there and pass your university exams and get a good job, have a very successful Youtube channel, get wealthy and become famous or become a top ranking executive.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alright, then. Do well at school, get good grades, pass your exams, go to university and do well there and pass your university exams and get a good job, have a very successful Youtube channel, get wealthy and become famous or become a top ranking executive.

That's one way to define success but just because someone doesn't do all that, it doesn't mean they are a failure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's only your definition of success though. I know many people who don't have such aspirations at all.

Some people's definition of success is to find a partner, marry and have kids. If they manage that their life will be a success. Some people only want to travel and see the world, and are perfectly happy with menial jobs while they are doing it as long as they manage it. Everyone is so different it's pointless trying to define 'success' as one single thing.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got a share bag of doritos. I feel like a god.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    That's only your definition of success though. I know many people who don't have such aspirations at all.

Some people's definition of success is to find a partner, marry and have kids. If they manage that their life will be a success. Some people only want to travel and see the world, and are perfectly happy with menial jobs while they are doing it as long as they manage it.

I meant by how society expects us to succeed by what I meant and not everybody can have loads of mates, a busy social life and loads of girl/boyfriends can they? But I reckon I've succeeded by doing well at work (the manger and team leader think I'm the dog's bollocks just because I've had the decent to start earlier than I should or do an extra hour (it depends on staffing levels and how big the delivery is and I did it out of sheer decency).
    I might not have much of a social life (thanks to the using bastards at NETTO and the 'rules' about tax credits (I had no choice or say in my hours being cut while the using bastards at Netto head office got away with it) anymore but I'm happy with my creative software and writing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I meant by how society expects us to succeed by what I meant and not everybody can have loads of mates, a busy social life and loads of girl/boyfriends can they? But I reckon I've succeeded by doing well at work (the manger and team leader think I'm the dog's bollocks just because I've had the decent to start earlier than I should or do an extra hour (it depends on staffing levels and how big the delivery is and I did it out of sheer decency).
    I might not have much of a social life (thanks to the using bastards at NETTO and the 'rules' about tax credits (I had no choice or say in my hours being cut while the using bastards at Netto head office got away with it) anymore but I'm happy with my creative software and writing.

Well, considering you feel as though you have succeeded by doing well at work and being able to do the things you enjoy, that is all that matters.

Screw society's expectations.