Options

Fiber City

We changed from Virgin media to Sky today. In the any questions during the sign up I mentioned We have Fiber City putting a cable into our home free. We decided to do this not for us but to future proof the house. The lady said your not going to connect it are you? If you do they charge you £30 a month on your council tax bill. She said have they told you that I said no.

Anyone any thoughts aspirations is the young lady correct.

Comments

• Options
    prkingprking Posts: 9,794
    Forum Member
    Is this Fibre City, the network that runs through the sewers?

Or the Google FiberCity project?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sewers http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-180862889.html

http://www.fibrecity.eu/

apologies if i put this in the wrong place.
  • Options
    prkingprking Posts: 9,794
    Forum Member
    Its not that. Its just it wasn't obvious from your post what you were going on about. Or who has told you about this charge.
    If you are worried I would contact your council and ask them.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The lady said your not going to connect it are you? If you do they charge you £30 a month on your council tax bill. She said have they told you that I said no.

Anyone any thoughts aspirations is the young lady correct.

Charge you an additional £30 per month for what, exactly?

since we've moved in to our house 15 years ago we've had a conservatory built and an extension and our council tax bill hasn't changed, so I can't see who she comes to that conclusion. council tax is based on the value of your house, not what is in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charge you an additional £30 per month for what, exactly?

since we've moved in to our house 15 years ago we've had a conservatory built and an extension and our council tax bill hasn't changed, so I can't see who she comes to that conclusion. council tax is based on the value of your house, not what is in it.

Fiber city connects you to all the services in your town the doctors hospital the Town hall and all sorts of other uses

I will have to ask sky again when the enginner calls on Thursday
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will have to ask sky again when the enginner calls on Thursday
    I wouldn't bother.

Sky are talking out of whatever it is they sit on :)

Not exactly a new thing. There have been numerous stories about Sky sales people telling porkies about Digital Switch-over. It has been reported frequently that Sky reps have told people that once analogue telly is switched off they won't get anything at all unless they get satellite, which is blatantly untrue.

I suspect this little story comes from the same Sky book of dubious sales tactics. :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    The concept behind the service Fiber City will be giving, along side Digital TV etc., is to provide an Optical Fiber based networked access to local services/amenities in a Town or City via one simple bi-directional link. You may have noticed that in some Doctors surgeries that they have Medical TV network Channel on a TV or monitor in the waiting area. This is one of the services that would be available others could include Local Library access, access to Local Council Offices. One option for providing these services to households could be a supplement to the Council tax bill. This could be what the Sky "bimbo" could have been referring to. It's being trialled in a number of locations and could be very useful for very fast access to Emergency services, especially for the elderly or infirm. the firs step to a truly interconnected society?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks to the poster above yes thats what i was trying to explain To people. Thanks very much for that.

Spoke to someone else in the know about this subject. They said Fiber City seems to be surrounded in secrecy at the moment. They heard what I have been told as well. Without any prompts from myself.
  • Options
    John CurrieJohn Currie Posts: 2,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They said Fiber City seems to be surrounded in secrecy at the moment.

It's Fibrecity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sorry deleted my post
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Hello there,

I run the marketing at i3 Group (the company behind Fibrecity Bournemouth) and I can tell you that the lady is definitely not correct in telling you this. I have no idea where she got her 'information' from, but it is not true. Unfortunately inaccurate information is sometimes the order of the day when people are trying to hit targets.

There's not really much secrecy surrounding Fibrecity Bournemouth - we are live with our first two service providers (Fibreband and Velocity1) and are speeding up our roll-out to reach more homes more quickly. We are not a direct competitor to Sky or any other player - we provide an open access infrastructure that any service provider can offer internet, TV or other IP-based services through.

We will also be announcing the start of build in our next city quite soon.

If you have any further questions, then I'd be happy to answer them.

Regards,

David
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for putting us right. Just to keep you up on the latest skullduggery i Heard :))
    The person who works for virgin media. Told me the other night that she heard that Fibercity will be offering some sort of free service. But dose not know what that entails yet.

Hope its not all that public service rubbish we see on the TV in our Doctor surgery waiting room.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We have been offering a free TV service (basically a sub-set of Freeview channels on IPTV) to some users, but services will normally be offered via the service providers, not directly from Fibrecity. There is the possiblity for councils and other local bodies to use the service to offer content and services, though - but I can't confirm what those services will be at tthis stage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you know yet how much Fibercity are going to charge for broadband yet i see they be able to give is 100mb on there optic fiber cable

My brother said something interesting about my sky broadband connection im having trouble with

Sky can not improve it

so you pay Sky only for what BT can give you.

Phone line down speed relates to

distance from BT exchange & your copper wire feed

& no of people using it

? that’s why fibrecity can give you up to 100 mb on their opticfibre supply line
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We (Fibrecity) don't actually provide the services - you can subscribe to services from Fibreband http://www.fibreband.co.uk/ or Velocity1 http://www.velocity1.co.uk/products. Broadband is currently from £9.99 plus a charge for line rental (I think they charge £10 per month for that). They offer other services, including phone and TV.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Hi all,

There seem to be a lot of misconceptions around Fibrecity at the moment, mostly untrue. If you need more information and want to speak to people that actually have the service installed (and see pictures of the installation and equipment) there is a nice site to go to: http://www.fibreforum.co.uk that specifically deals in Fibrecity and not much else.

It also has representatives from Fibrecity and also Fibreband posting and answering questions directly so is great to get some insider info.