What was the best series/ season since 1963?

2»

Comments

• daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Seta wrote: »
    True that -JNT has got quite a bit of abuse from fans for what he did to the show, but (probably with the guiding hand of Barry Letts), seasons 18, 19 & 21 were very consistent seasons & there were some good stories there :)

I've never been a huge fan of Season 18. Apart from the Tom Baker factor, where imo he was a bit stale at times, I find the whole Season hugely experimental, especially in the earlier stories where the incidental music was excessive and the humour from the previous Season clashed with the new style where it had been watered down but not enough, like in Meglos. It got better in the last two stories and then all that experimentation paid dividends in Season 19. I do think the one Davison Season you didn't mention, Season 20, despite the dreary Terminus being in it, wasn't all that bad but was admittedly not as good as the two Seasons either side of it.

And just to add to my previous post, I also love Season 22 as well. Mainly because of the Peri factor but Timelash aside, I find the rest of that Season hugely enjoyable, even with all the added violence.
    Snap! Flippin' heck! And aside from Season 7, I've always adored Pertwee's 'Carnival of Monsters' for similar reasons.

Respect to Ian K Mc's choices too. Always a bit miffed when it's opined that the Second Doctor was really the template for what followed. Certainly by the end of his first year, Hartnell is absolutely the character we know and love, albeit a bit frailer for obvious reasons. Certainly by Dalek Invasion../The Rescue he's absolutely adorable, albeit with the edge that was there with most Doctors. The first Doctor rocks! (Mind, so does the Second.) :cool:

I agree the First Doctor did show some more of the traditional Doctor stuff and even had his first one on one confrontation in The Rescue and that's where it really took hold. I think with Troughton, the whole template thing was more of a reference to the fact that he was the first actor to play a 'New Doctor.' than anything else.

:)
  • MiahMiah Posts: 3,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 19 for me, too. It felt so fresh at the time, Time Flight apart (even that's not so bad after a few G&Ts) and still holds up really well. :)