Options

Donna: What's the general consensus from people you know?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Interesting that people who are critical of the show in general all say that they no nobody who likes her AND those who are positve about the show say that most people they know love her.

People trying to justify there views perhaps - surely not! :rolleyes:

I'd imagine it's more likely that they just hang about with like-minded people. That's rather how social groupings work. What on earth would be the point of anyone lying - it's an internet board disussing what your mates think of an actress? :confused:
  • Options
    HelbrownHelbrown Posts: 3,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know anyone who watches Dr Who...:confused:
  • Options
    EaglestrikerEaglestriker Posts: 3,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oddly enough, all my friends who watch it are girls...only one of them thinks DT is gorgeous, so it isn't that factor thats keeping them watching...

As I said, they like it - I like it - because its a novelty show, entertaining and its become sort of tradition now its been running for four years every summer.
  • Options
    kjwillykjwilly Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    I speak on behalf of a "Gang of Four" Who-watchers. We like the CHARACTER of Donna very much but cannot divorce previous CT appearances from our mind (although we all love the Tate shows)

It is hard to seperate CT and her work OUT of her performance as Donna. We would have loved the character without the familiar face

It does remind me that Who has been at its best without casting well known people in its lead part. It sufferred when Davison(aka Tristram) and Colin Baker ( the orrid one of the Brothers) took the part on

Basically, there is a lot of imagination you need to suspend with Who - seeing famous faces can get in the way
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally love Donna, but practically everyone I know hates her- in fact I know a few people that stopped watching after PIC- and as someone said above I think it's more to do with the preconceptions of Catherine Tate rather than the writing of the character (which has been spot on imo).
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hated what little I've seen of her show, but really like her as Donna, it's an improvement over Rose-lite last year. I loved Rose but one of her was enough...my Who friends also like Donna but my only relative who watches it is an adult niece who thinks she's 'common', but won't go into the reasons why, as I don't get that. I also don't get why you'd stop watching just because you don't like a Companion, that just seems weird to me.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Histeria wrote: »
    What on earth would be the point of anyone lying - it's an internet board disussing what your mates think of an actress? :confused:

Yes quite....and I like Donna but posted that my brother wasn't keen, so clearly not EVERYONE is reporting that everyone else they know feels the same as them about her....:confused:
  • Options
    craigymcraigym Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a fan of Catherine's comedy at all and wasn't too thrilled when I heard she was in whole series, but you know what..............she is a really great regular companion!

As an old school who fan I have really enjoyed the 'new who' was beginning to get a bit fed up of the companions fancying the Doctor, Donna is therefore such a breath of fresh air. It's not often I like to admit being wrong but on the basis of the first 5 eps of S4 I think Catherine is a damn fine actress and I'm really looking forward to her performances in the rest of the season.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kjwilly wrote: »
    I speak on behalf of a "Gang of Four" Who-watchers. We like the CHARACTER of Donna very much but cannot divorce previous CT appearances from our mind (although we all love the Tate shows)

It is hard to seperate CT and her work OUT of her performance as Donna. We would have loved the character without the familiar face

It does remind me that Who has been at its best without casting well known people in its lead part. It sufferred when Davison(aka Tristram) and Colin Baker ( the orrid one of the Brothers) took the part on

Basically, there is a lot of imagination you need to suspend with Who - seeing famous faces can get in the way

Can't agree with Who suffering because of Peter Davison. I actually think he's a good actor who was saddled with an extraordinarily mixed bag of stories (some brilliant, some hideous). I also wouldn't dismiss Colin Baker - another good actor, but lumbered with a ridiculous costume, unsympathetic characterisation and way more bad stories than good. In other words, it's not all about the actors ... but the people who employ them.

But back to topic: I find Donna frustratingly uneven. Sometimes I think CT plays her really well - I love the scenes with Bernard Cribbens - but it's when she starts going OTT with the comedy that it feels like she's slipping into Nan/Lauren/A.N. Other comedy character from her sketch show.

However, I don't think she's entirely responsible for this: what are the producers and directors doing when she's over-acting? Pretending it's not happening? :eek:

However, the OTT stuff seems to be on the wane - I'm just hoping it stays that way ...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    I love donna, not as much as I love Martha but I still think she's great and yet my family aren't too keen the say she just acts the same as she does in her show, I then usually fly into a rage and start insulting them for being so idiotic
  • Options
    NewbieCanuckNewbieCanuck Posts: 6,698
    Forum Member
    My Dad grew up with Dr Who, big fan of the classic series, looks down on the new series whenever it does something "stupid" like seeing the TARDIS fly

Honestly, I could see getting annoyed at the Daleks flying, but seeing the TARDIS chasing the taxi was absolutely brilliant. It was like (for us older folks) seeing a favourite show in colour for the first time. We didn't think all those characters inhabited a monochrome world just because that's all the broadcaster's or household budget could afford at the time. We don't NEED to see the TARDIS fly all the time. Quite rightly they've decided to spend the effects budget where it's needed. But when the plot calls for it, absolutely we should see it fly.
  • Options
    PorkSausagePorkSausage Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    craigym wrote: »
    Not a fan of Catherine's comedy at all and wasn't too thrilled when I heard she was in whole series, but you know what..............she is a really great regular companion!

As an old school who fan I have really enjoyed the 'new who' was beginning to get a bit fed up of the companions fancying the Doctor, Donna is therefore such a breath of fresh air. It's not often I like to admit being wrong but on the basis of the first 5 eps of S4 I think Catherine is a damn fine actress and I'm really looking forward to her performances in the rest of the season.

My sentiment entirely.

Despite initial concerns, I think both CT and Donna are good. And nice to see a companion not drooling after the Doc.
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think series 4 is struggling anyway, ratings are down. Shes not been the big draw they thought she would be.

You could put this down to summer evenings and messing with the timeslot. But I tend to think that it is down to Tate and more importantly the lacklustre repetitive stories. The Sontaran two-parter was much the same as the climactic two-parter last year. Yet another invasion of earth.

WHO may need its 2009 sabbatical and a change of production team.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    well u can think it's down to tate but you'd be wrong just look at the stong showing of the first episode even in that silly timeslot and the ratings havent been that bad the AI is still high
  • Options
    rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Love her, my mum who watches if she's in the room when I'm watching it (Which recently has been every week because I think she secretly likes it now) really likes her, My little brother likes her more than Martha and less than Rose.

Donna has been excellent throughout imo and I really enjoy watching her both for her comedy and for the help she gives the doctor. What I like best though is the fact she isn't in love with the doctor and although she respects him, doesn't do exactly as she's told like Rose and Martha did. She has her own opinions on how things should be done especially tonight when she was shouting about saving Martha and in Pompeii when she wanted to do what she could to save everyone and won't just accept people dying in order for her or others to live.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I watched The Doctor's Daughter with a (female) friend on Saturday evening. She used to watch Who but refused to watch once Catherine Tate was cast because she doesn't like her (from previous stuff - Catherine Tate Show etc).

It was really interesting seeing just how closed minded she was. She really didn't watch the performance at all. She just sat there saying 'No, I don't care. I can't stand her. She's rubbish'.

It was really disappointing because my mate's really smart, but just refused to watch the episode and actually judge Tate's performance beyond what she's seen before.

It really put some of the anti-Tate comments here on this forum in context.

PS . . . I think Wilf bites it in the series finale!
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I think series 4 is struggling anyway, ratings are down. Shes not been the big draw they thought she would be.

You could put this down to summer evenings and messing with the timeslot. But I tend to think that it is down to Tate and more importantly the lacklustre repetitive stories. The Sontaran two-parter was much the same as the climactic two-parter last year. Yet another invasion of earth.

WHO may need its 2009 sabbatical and a change of production team.

Since when has this series been repetitive? I have found this series to be the best there has been for a long time.

I am very proud to have Catherine Tate in the show as she is a brilliant actress and has left a large stamp of her own identity on the show,using her human resourcefulness to show that she sees things that the Doctor does not see or the Doctor pretends not to see to shape Donna and make her more confident and that she will be able to stand up to her awful confidence destroying mother!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    my partner and I have watched every episode together and we both loved Rose although my Girlfriend thought she was annoying at first she grew on her. She found the 'goodbye' scene between her and DT overplayed and it didnt evoke any great emotion...but it made me cry!lol. However she appreciated the amazing chemistry between them.

On the other hand Martha grated on us both throughout the entire series 3, so much so it became painful to watch. She is the most appallingly annoying companion since the doctors grandaughter and adric. And I can't tell you of the abuse hurled at Martha when she's on screen.

However Donna took us by surprise after the 'runaway bride' we weren't expecting anything from CT but as she's grown into the role she's a really endearing character who brings out aspects of the doctors character that seem to be lacking...she's more of an equal and is obviously good friends with DT which tranfers well on screen. We love her!
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never watched her show but her character in Doctor Who is well written. I'd stopped watching because she was in it but the episodes I did watch with her in seemed OK.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I think if you check out the Ratings Overview thread, you'll see the ratings are not down and are comparable with previous seasons. So the much predicted drop in viewing figures that Catherine Tate was supposed to bring with her never actually happened.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    So the much predicted drop in viewing figures that Catherine Tate was supposed to bring with her never actually happened.
    And so much for the (RTD) predicted drop due to the broadcast time.

All we know, is that we know nothing. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Histeria wrote: »
    And so much for the (RTD) predicted drop due to the broadcast time. All we know, is that we know nothing. ;)

I know! All this doom and gloom and the show just continues on, getting the viewing figures and being successful.
  • Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dislike Donna, but not because of CT. CT is not a good actress, but considering that DT and the rest of them are absolutely terrible actors, 'not good' is an improvement. My main issue with Donna is that her character is the kind of person I dislike. She's not feisty enough for me, that's all! ;)
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally Posted by codename_47My Dad grew up with Dr Who, big fan of the classic series, looks down on the new series whenever it does something "stupid" like seeing the TARDIS fly

Honestly, I could see getting annoyed at the Daleks flying, but seeing the TARDIS chasing the taxi was absolutely brilliant. It was like (for us older folks) seeing a favourite show in colour for the first time. We didn't think all those characters inhabited a monochrome world just because that's all the broadcaster's or household budget could afford at the time. We don't NEED to see the TARDIS fly all the time. Quite rightly they've decided to spend the effects budget where it's needed. But when the plot calls for it, absolutely we should see it fly.

Well since both the Daleks and the TARDIS were seen to "fly" in the Classic series I don't see how he can get annoyed with either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CT annoyed me in the Christmas Special. It wasn't a strong episode but she didn't help. Her "comedy" series is a sign of the coming apocalypse.

The casting announcement was terrible news and indicated that the crew really don't take much interest in fan reactions. She hasn't been THAT bad so far, but she's pretty mediocre and I'd like to lose her in the season finale (methinks she'll be killed off with a knife to "the back").

I preferred Martha. Freema is a bit wooden sometimes, but she's nicer to look at. That said, a new companion who isn't in love with the Doctor OR an obnoxious comedy actress would be a step in the right direction.