Any Fitness Gurus? Help Please!

allie5allie5 Posts: 4,554
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I wonder if anyone can help. Since late last year I started on the massive undertaking of losing 7 stone. I have managed to lose well over half this amount now and my weight loss has slowed up a fair bit so I feel I need to start on an fitness plan to keep the momentum going.

I belong to a gym but they arent very helpful unless you are a "lycra goddess" - size zero and toned...so does anyone have any advice on a program I could do? I only have 50 mins top for a workout and I find I personally do better with short bursts on things - i.e 10 mins on cross trainer, switch to a 15 min fast walk on treadmill then 10 mins on cycle or rower. Im not sure if these are the best machines for me to be using - they have power plates there which Ive heard good things about..should I include that? What about the step thingy?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    I'm not a fitness guru by any means (I hate exercise!) but I know what I've been told....apparently running and swimming are the best for loosing weight, and I've heard the powerplates are excellent for toning, but you need to use them properly, just standing on them isn't going to do much good apparently.

Sorry I can't be much more help, but well done on the weight loss and keep at it!!
  • MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allie5 wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone can help. Since late last year I started on the massive undertaking of losing 7 stone. I have managed to lose well over half this amount now and my weight loss has slowed up a fair bit so I feel I need to start on an fitness plan to keep the momentum going.

I belong to a gym but they arent very helpful unless you are a "lycra goddess" - size zero and toned...so does anyone have any advice on a program I could do? I only have 50 mins top for a workout and I find I personally do better with short bursts on things - i.e 10 mins on cross trainer, switch to a 15 min fast walk on treadmill then 10 mins on cycle or rower. Im not sure if these are the best machines for me to be using - they have power plates there which Ive heard good things about..should I include that? What about the step thingy?

Again not a fitness guru, but I'm doing the same thing as you! From what I've gathered you need mix your routine up -eg on the treadmill do 2 mins walking, 2 mins run for say 15 mins. Use the random programme on machines so your workout becomes start/fast/slow/fast/slow/stop. The stepper really makes you work, whilst the rower is a good all over workout.

It sounds as though your muscles have become used to the workout, and you're no longer benefitting from it.
  • minorityminority Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am in no way an expert but I have had the experience your going through (I lost 6st).

I personnally lost about 4st by myself other 2st was with help from a personal trainer to get me down to 11% body fat.

M y basic work out now is:
    2 days cardio/stomach which involves all hits (high intensity training) where I do 1minute 5.5mph and then 10mph for a minute for anything up to 20mins and then on x trainer I do 1 minute at level 12 and then 1 minute on level 18 for say 20minutes.

The idea is to work out at your max effort for as long as possible and then have a period of time to recover before doing it over and over....it may look like you not buring as much on the machine but HITS will continue to stoke your metabolic rate for anything up to 48 hours afterwards.

On my other 3 days I do weight training (I am now on strength building).

Alternatively mix them do a circuit keep a day or so for pure cardio but the others mix it up with some weights (can be light your after keeping your heart rate about 120bpm).

You simple take three exercises on different part of your body and do them one after another and after the third exercise rest for say minute and then start again and do 3 sets.
    e.g.
    squats
    bench press
    bent over row
    These three will work different parts of the body so the other gets a rest before being punished again.

I would also through in some light cardio.

My trainer use to say once your sweating you know your in fat burning mode...that and when I was starting to pull cramp lol.
    The idea is to
  • lisa02lisa02 Posts: 1,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't know what gym you are with but my husband is with DW sports. He had his first session with the trainer two weeks ago and has been given a fitness plan to follow when he attends, he just opens the drawer for his instructor gets his file and works out. He has a once a month meeting with the instructor to change the plan and implement other things etc. His workout is in bursts instead of hours on one machine etc.

There are all kinds of people at the gym he attends, people keeping fit, loosing weight, building muscles etc. I am intending to join him in a few weeks once I get my knee sorted out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Most weight loss comes from diet, if you're doing 50 minutes exercise most days and you've stopped losing (and there is weight to lose), id take a look at your diet first.

Switching to resistance training also really helps whether you are male or female (weights and stuff like that rather than just aerobic exercise).
  • LeehamLeeham Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skribbleuk wrote: »
    Most weight loss comes from diet, if you're doing 50 minutes exercise most days and you've stopped losing (and there is weight to lose), id take a look at your diet first.

Switching to resistance training also really helps whether you are male or female (weights and stuff like that rather than just aerobic exercise).

Let's be specific, diet generally dictates WHAT you lose. If you eat like crap and excersise moderately I'd figure you would lose muscle moreso than fat. Fat loss is the goal, not weight loss.

Give this a read:
    http://www.liamrosen.com/fitness.html
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skribbleuk wrote: »

I was also going to suggest looking at your diet. Weight loss is 80 to 90% what you eat, the rest exercise. For exercise, you want to be cardio workouts, mix it up as other people have suggested.

Basically calories in has to be less then calories out and it is alot simplier stopping those calories getting in then trying to burn them off.

Couple of other quick tips, eat all your carbs in the morning and lunchtime, try and avoid them completely in the evening. Drink plenty of water and get plenty of sleep.
  • peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    If you want to mix up your exercise and you're not a fan of the gym, why not start training for a triathlon.