Options

Freesat hd recorder

ppaupyppaupy Posts: 2,729
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello

I'm thinking of buy this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Humax-500GB-Satellite-Receiver-Recorder/dp/B0039J42LM/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

What i need to know is,...I have a sky dish that i run skyhd off that takes 2 lines...then i run the other 2 to the bedrooms.

I want to replace one of the bedroom boxes with this new one..but it takes two lines and i will only have one..so...

Does anyone know if i can buy/use a splitter type thing to make one line into two? or am i being a numpty?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can either run the Foxsat-hdr in single cable mode by using a short loop cable from tuner 1 out to tuner 2 in (with some restrictions on dual channel recording and third channel viewing)

or

Change the quad lnb to a octal to get the extra lnb connection.

Splitting a lnb connection doesn't work properly as only one of the two tuners has control of the lnb. One box will stop the other box getting around 3/4 of the total channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can either run the Foxsat-hdr in single cable mode by using a short loop cable from tuner 1 out to tuner 2 in (with some restrictions on dual channel recording and third channel viewing)

or

Change the quad lnb to a octal to get the extra lnb connection.

Splitting a lnb connection doesn't work properly as only one of the two tuners has control of the lnb. One box will stop the other box getting around 3/4 of the total channels.

Thanks for that!!

Maybe I should have also added i'm COMPLETE idiot...so to be honest I didnt understand any of it..:o

I will try and look up what you have mentioned.

Again many thanks.
  • Options
    macharemachare Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ppaupy wrote: »
    Maybe I should have also added i'm COMPLETE idiot...so to be honest I didnt understand any of it..:o
    The short answer to you original question is "No":)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that!!

Again many thanks.

Brief primer

Unlike an aerial an lnb can't get all the available channels at once. The frequency band is split into two halves (called quite logically high band or low band). Channels can be either Horizontally or Vertically polarisation. When the tuner wants a channel it sends control signals to the lnb to switch it into high band/low band horizontal/vertical.

Say for example tuner 1 has been switched into low band vertical then tuner 2 can only access other channels that are also high band vertical.

More info including which channels are which

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/what-can-i-record-and-watch-using-1-or-2-cables
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    machare wrote: »
    The short answer to you original question is "No":)

Ah as i suspected...lol thank you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brief primer

Unlike an aerial an lnb can't get all the available channels at once. The frequency band is split into two halves (called quite logically high band or low band). Channels can be either Horizontally or Vertically polarisation. When the tuner wants a channel it sends control signals to the lnb to switch it into high band/low band horizontal/vertical.

Say for example tuner 1 has been switched into low band vertical then tuner 2 can only access other channels that are also high band vertical.

More info including which channels are which

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/what-can-i-record-and-watch-using-1-or-2-cables

Thanks that did all make sense to me..phew..lol.

So..another daft question..my dish is donkeys years old..do new ones have more than 4 feeds?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks that did all make sense to me..phew..lol.

So..another daft question..my dish is donkeys years old..do new ones have more than 4 feeds?
    Dishes don't have any number of feeds, thats down to the lnb. Sky minidishes can have quad (4) or octal (8) fitted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dishes don't have any number of feeds, thats down to the lnb. Sky minidishes can have quad (4) or octal (8) fitted.

Ah ok...so....if i had one with 8 then i could have the freesat box fitted and all would work?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah ok...so....if i had one with 8 then i could have the freesat box fitted and all would work?

If you only are going to use a foxsat-hdr a quad will give you two spare outputs. The hdr needs only two.

Hundreds on e-bay

Random example

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKY-QUAD-LNB-INC-LEGACY-ADAPTOR-ALL-SKY-DISH-ARMS-/180746421997?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item2a155386ed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you only are going to use a foxsat-hdr a quad will give you two spare outputs. The hdr needs only two.

Hundreds on e-bay

Random example

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKY-QUAD-LNB-INC-LEGACY-ADAPTOR-ALL-SKY-DISH-ARMS-/180746421997?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item2a155386ed

but i still need to be able to use the sky hd box that takes two and the freesat box in spare room needs one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but i still need to be able to use the sky hd box that takes two and the freesat box in spare room needs one.

You'll need an Octo LNB to get the 2 HDR feeds, the 2 Sky feeds and the one Freesat HD feed, leaving you with 3 spare outputs to give you expandability options.

Roland
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rolandh wrote: »
    You'll need an Octo LNB to get the 2 HDR feeds, the 2 Sky feeds and the one Freesat HD feed, leaving you with 3 spare outputs to give you expandability options.

Roland

Thanks Roland!

Ive seen this on Amazon...is it something i could attach myself or do i need a real man in to do it?..lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Roland!

Ive seen this on Amazon...is it something i could attach myself or do i need a real man in to do it?..lol.

Swapping the lnb is very straightforward if dish access is simple. The extra weight of the lnb and cabling might need the dish alignment tweaking.

See here

http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/

No link in your post though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swapping the lnb is very straightforward if dish access is simple. The extra weight of the lnb and cabling might need the dish alignment tweaking.

See here

http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/

No link in your post though

Thank you Graham.

Had A look..think i will buy the octo lnd thing and the freesat box then decide if im up to the job.

Again many thanks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that!!

Again many thanks.
    Dear ppaupy your posting made me laugh it could have been me writing that but I have some good news for you I am even worse - I could not understand any of the replies after that so plenty of hope for you yet, thanks again for the laugh you give me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dear ppaupy your posting made me laugh it could have been me writing that but I have some good news for you I am even worse - I could not understand any of the replies after that so plenty of hope for you yet, thanks again for the laugh you give me.
    Thanks for that!!

Again many thanks.

I was the same, when you come on here enough you learn quite a lot. I've learnt that much from coming on here that I helped my dad install a 60cm dish at my parents old house last year, then helped him install a Zone 1 Mini Dish at there new house this year, & also Installed a new LNB on the Inherited Zone 1 Mini Dish when Me and Wife moved into our new place in the summer, & have no got into the Multi Satellite hobby after gaffa taping a spare Mini Dish LNB onto the Freesat LNB, ready for the F1 next year and can also get some free German Football.
    Thank you Graham.

Had A look..think i will buy the octo lnd thing and the freesat box then decide if im up to the job.

Again many thanks.

Installing a new LNB is a piece of p**s I installed a new Quad LNB ont an Inherited Zone 1 Mini Dish, but I had the advantage of having easy access to the Dish via the Livingroom balcony.

Roland
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    As well as the valuable info. available on here I've found this site to be full of clearly written info. and very well priced kit :http://www.satcure.co.uk

I have no connection with the company other than as a satisfied customer.