Percentages

blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can anyone tell me how to work out percentages please as im getting stuck. :o

This is for a works lotto syndicate and there are 12 members, im fine with 10 members, a simple 10% each but now two more have joined and im stumped. Is there a simple way to work them out via a calculator which someone is willing to share ?

Thanks.

Comments

• TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    100 divided by twelve.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,873
    Forum Member
    blitzben85 wrote: »

This is for a works lotto syndicate and there are 12 members, im fine with 10 members, a simple 10% each but now two more have joined and im stumped. Is there a simple way to work them out via a calculator which someone is willing to share ?

Thanks.

Divide the cost (or the winnings) by 12 to determine your share.
  • ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to add: what you are asking is not a percentages question, you are asking how do you divide someting into 12 equal parts, it's a division question and its answered by claritana above. The advice about dividing 100 by 12 although well intended is wrong (sorry to that poster)
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you'll be buying the same number of tickets (or scratchcards, or whatever) then you should divide the total cost by twelve now instead of by ten.

On the other hand, you might decide that each person will contribute the same amount as before and with the extra money from the two new members you'll buy a few more tickets.

Any winnings should now be divided by twelve instead of by ten.

Sorry if I'm missing something but I don't think percentages are involved here really, except I suppose you could say that all sums of money per member should now 8.3333% of the total (100/12, as the previous poster said).
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you could get a couple of members to drop out, so you are back to 10. :)
    Forum Member
    ffawkes wrote: »
    Just to add: what you are asking is not a percentages question, you are asking how do you divide someting into 12 equal parts, it's a division question and its answered by claritana above. The advice about dividing 100 by 12 although well intended is wrong (sorry to that poster)

i took the question as the OP wanting to know how to work out a percentage so that's what I did.:)
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks.

What do you need to be turned into a percentage?
    If you need one out of twelve as a percentage it is 8.33%

Simply put 1/12 and multiply by 100.

Don't they teach this in Primary school? :confused:

If you want to work out how much of the winnings each person gets, it is the total multiplied by 0.0833.
    eg. If the prize was £1,000,000 then each person gets 1,000,000 x 0.0833 = £83,300
    Alternatively you could just divide £1,000,000 by 12 to get the same answer.

Seriously though, this is primary school maths.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks.

1/12 x 100

Bob's your uncle.
    Forum Member
    i took the question as the OP wanting to know how to work out a percentage so that's what I did.:)

Erm, no, you didn't actually work out a percentage of anything.
    Forum Member
    Claratana wrote: »
    Erm, no, you didn't actually work out a percentage of anything.

No, I told them how to, on a calculator , as requested.
    Forum Member
    No, I told them how to, on a calculator , as requested.

No, you didn't. Percentages always require a multiplication as well as a division.
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crikey, I hope that the workplace where this syndicate runs doesn't require any basic 6 year olds maths...
    Forum Member
    No, you didn't. Percentages always require a multiplication as well as a division.

But there's no figure to multiply with as yet? I told them how to work out what percentage of any stake or winning each of the twelve would be accountable for.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Actually 100/12 is the same as 1/12 x 100 so he's correct. If you remember how to multiply fractions, a twelfth times 100 is 100/12
    Forum Member
    But there's no figure to multiply with as yet? I told them how to work out what percentage of any stake or winning each of the twelve would be accountable for.

Never mind. Too late in the evening to explain. :yawn:

Night night.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP managed to work out what 10% means so presumably they could similarly use Teddy's 8.333333% in the same way. In this way they would have the multiplication part covered. If not then perhaps the members of their syndicate need to choose a different secretary.

Night night.
    Looking forward to it.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Subscribe to Eve-Online. You'll soon learn how %ges work :)
    Forum Member

Night night.

Sleep well.
  • SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    Crikey, I hope that the workplace where this syndicate runs doesn't require any basic 6 year olds maths...

I thought perhaps it was a syndicate of teachers at a primary school...
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member

Easy to work out just by multiplying for example 60% of 90 is 6x9 = 54, 6% of 90 is 0.6x9 = 5.4. Its harder with odd numbers but the same applies.
  • SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    Easy to work out just by multiplying for example 60% of 90 is 6x9 = 54, 6% of 90 is 0.6x9 = 5.4. Its harder with odd numbers but the same applies.

What you say is technically correct, although i'd be concerned that someone who struggled with percentages might not understand why 60% of 90 is 6 x 9 and just get more confused.

Percentages are not difficult when you understand that a percent is just a hundredth of something.

To use your examples and expand them a bit for clarity:

60% of 90 = 60/100 x 90 = 0.6 x 90 = 6 x 9 = 54

6% of 90 = 6/100 x 90 = 0.06 x 90 = 0.6 x 9 = 5.4

It isn't any harder with "odd" numbers (so long as you have a calculator)

e.g. 19.38 % of 87.4 = 19.38/100 x 87.4 = 0.1938 x 87.4
  • ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes. Unfortunately his question was misleading, in fact he asked two questions in one, mistakenly believing they were one and the same thing. He asked how do you wrok out percentages, then how do you share something across 12 people. Your answer told him what 12 is as a percentage of 100. It didn't solve his real problem , which was how to share something across 12 people.
    Forum Member
    ffawkes wrote: »
    Yes. Unfortunately his question was misleading, in fact he asked two questions in one, mistakenly believing they were one and the same thing. He asked how do you wrok out percentages, then how do you share something across 12 people. Your answer told him what 12 is as a percentage of 100. It didn't solve his real problem , which was how to share something across 12 people.

I thought they might want the actual % for something. God know what but that's how it came across to me.

Surely everyone knows how to divide something by twelve on a calculator?
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, if the OP wasn't confused beforehand they sure will be now.... :):)
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry if i didn't explain correctly and that i can't do maths very well (certain smart arse comments).

I just want to know what % all 12 of us would get if we won a sum of money. We are all putting in the same amount of money p/w so it's equal. e.g, If there was 10 people in this syndicate it would be 10% each. I need to know about 12 people.