Options

Kylie...should she stil be singing the same stuff?

Sharona68Sharona68 Posts: 1,915
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think Kylie looks great for her age and seems a genuinely nice person.

But I also think that this "little girly image" act she has going on is getting a tad embarassing for her.

The breathy little squeaks she puts into her performances are not becoming of someone of (let's be honest) middle age.

I think she should go for a more mature style of singing now.

Just my opinion.

Comments

• Options
    Andy_GAndy_G Posts: 11,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trouble is, despite her fantastically successful career, she aint much of a singer really, she's no Whitney Houston.
    Most of her stuff is over produced to make her sound OK.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Andy_G wrote: »
    Trouble is, despite her fantastically successful career, she aint much of a singer really, she's no Whitney Houston.

I think it's quite a misconception that Kylie can't sing. She's certainly very nasal (which puts off a lot of people), and her on-record vocals are generally overproduced but whenever she sings live she's pretty much note perfect.

Also for my money Kylie sells the story of a song better. While Whitney may (have been able to in the past) hit the big notes, I don't believe she's ever thought about being in love while singing 'I Will Always Love You', it's a technical performance but not one with any emotion.
  • Options
    haim100haim100 Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes she should still be singing the same stuff, it's what she's infamous for and she has a good few years left in her yet! She is the undisputed princess of pop!
  • Options
    haim100haim100 Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She can actually sing very well when she puts the effort in, and some of her live acoustic performances are outstanding. It is never easy singing the type of music she does live - due to overproduction, but you can't help that with electropop/dance music.
  • Options
    Red+BloodedRed+Blooded Posts: 4,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she should do what she wants to do, it's up to her to be honest. It's her life and if she wants to sing this type of music, then let her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    while i am not a huge Kylie fan, i do/did like her and respect her a lot.

and sure some stuff of hers i do find repetetive at times (All The Lovers is like Believe In You and Come Into My World etc.) but i say she can do whatever she wants to!

personally i think she hit her best with the more stripped down songs, her duet with Hurts on their new album is great! and some songs on Body Language are very good too, as well as her mid 90's album Kylie 94 (or whatever it was called anyway) where she had some R&B grooves in her work, very Janet Jackson i felt too.

Anyways, no matter what she does, she has always put on some great theatrics and can sing really well when she's focused. Sure when she goes all high pitched i cannot stand it! but when she gets that emotion in her songs i can genuinely connect with it in a way, i suppose that is why i haven't liked recent stuff (although i do love the title track on her Aphrodite album, as well as Cupid Boy and Better Than Today is good, but the rest i cannot like), and she has done Synthpop for the past decade too.

But like Red + Blooded has stated, it's her decision to do whatever she wants to do.

Also why should age be a factor in what people sing, Whitney used to have mature elegance and now performs as though she's in her late 60's. While Tina Turner who IS 70 performs like she always has done since the late 70's really! and so does Debbie Harry in her late 60's and Cyndi Lauper in her late 50's etc. etc.

so Kylie really shouldn't NEED to change if she doesn't because actually it's what she's known for :)

And also she is a real swell lady too i think, always smiling!
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see a reason to change. It clearly works for her and she would only alienate her core fanbase if she suddenly went for a real "mature" sound.
    I do see what you're saying though..a song like "Wow" is a little embarrassing for a 40+ woman. But that is really the only immature song of hers that I can think of..the rest are fine.
  • Options
    Sharona68Sharona68 Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember hearing her sing a lovely song on the documentary about her comeback tour. It wasn't as part of the show, it was background music for another item they were showing. But it was lovely. Definitely live and not tampered with.

Don't get me wrong, I think she's great, I just think she should change her image somewhat to take into account her age. She can't be the "Princess of Pop" for ever.
  • Options
    Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I think it's OK, and it's a hell of a lot more age-appropriate than what Madonna does.
    She's not straddling lollipops or pumping iron until she starts to resemble a skeleton.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shes great at what she does.

so the answer to this would be, yes.
  • Options
    Red+BloodedRed+Blooded Posts: 4,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sharona68 wrote: »
    I remember hearing her sing a lovely song on the documentary about her comeback tour. It wasn't as part of the show, it was background music for another item they were showing. But it was lovely. Definitely live and not tampered with.

Don't get me wrong, I think she's great, I just think she should change her image somewhat to take into account her age. She can't be the "Princess of Pop" for ever.

if you like the more mature sounding kylie, i would strongly recommend her fifth studio album, Kylie Minogue 1994.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's OK, and it's a hell of a lot more age-appropriate than what Madonna does.
    She's not straddling lollipops or pumping iron until she starts to resemble a skeleton.

and what exactly do you mean by that^^^???

Madonna looks friggin fantastic....skeleton my arse cheeks!

and 'age appropriate' really???? i cannot believe we're having this discussion Mr. Fahrenheit!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you like the more mature sounding kylie, i would strongly recommend her fifth studio album, Kylie Minogue 1994.

and yes that's the one ^^^^ i like that one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not? It still sounds good, thats all that matters at the end of the day.
  • Options
    eastendersboieastendersboi Posts: 3,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy_G wrote: »

you mean the past Whitney and not the singer she is now all you have to do is hear her sing iwaly from the tour to know she is kinda over and the voice is gone, while kylie ain't got the voice of leona she is not shit
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

and 'age appropriate' really???? i cannot believe we're having this discussion Mr. Fahrenheit!

i agree with mr fahrenheit, she IS skeletal in appearance and cavorting around half naked isnt how an old lady should be acting. why? well because by her age the quality of her music should speak for its self. great female artists of her age dont do it... annie lennox, alison moyet, kate bush, debbie harry, siouxsie sioux .... and no its not because they arnt 'fit', its because they have decorum, and their music doesnt need the allure of sex appeal to sell units.

ive always said theres a direct corolation between flesh on display and the quality of music.

as for kylie... i hope she doesnt resort to middle age **** appeal, she should carry on doing what shes doing with maturity and grace.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sharona68 wrote: »
    I think Kylie looks great for her age and seems a genuinely nice person.

But I also think that this "little girly image" act she has going on is getting a tad embarassing for her.

The breathy little squeaks she puts into her performances are not becoming of someone of (let's be honest) middle age.

I think she should go for a more mature style of singing now.

Just my opinion.

The problem with what you are saying however, is that this is what she's like in real life. A real sweetheart who's adored by everyone who knows her.

A female reporter for The Times (not renowned for her holding back on other women) went to write a piece on the Christmas Doctor Who special in 2007 "Voyage Of The Damned" which Kylie headlined with David Tennant... As it happened it was their highest ever ratings at 13.8 million.

I won't go too much into the 5 pages of beautifully worded text, but this hard-nosed reporter began by saying this about her time on the set with Kylie and the cast and crew, which just about sums Kylie up in the eyes of others. Even the most hard-nosed amongst us...

"I came into the studio lot at about 9.30am, and If I'd wanted to find out exactly where she was at any given time, I simply needed to follow the sound of Kylie being lovely... I followed the slew of men and women, gay and straight, that had an awestruck appearence about them. They seemed to be in a genuine state of grace.
    I passed two carpenters (no connection to Xmas, or was there?) in a hallway. One was a huge brute of a man who was holding a piece of wood in one hand, and a sheet of sandpaper in the other. He was still mumbling that SHE'd told him how wonderfully smooth it was, and "wasn't she wonderful"? The other guy was doing everything in his power not to burst into tears, and telling everyone that passed how tiny and beautiful she was.
    Everyone I spoke to in that initial 20 minutes of travelling to the inner sanctum of where they were secretly filming, were simply stunned just by the presence of this apparent Goddess. I must say that I was now getting a little apprehensive about meeting this tiny global pop titan, just in case I said something wrong and ended up being physically harmed fo my blasphemy.
    I first set eyes on her in the canteen. Surrounded by the entire crew, or so it seemed. Everyone was in brand new shirts, blouses and the sound of squeaky new shoes. The heady scent of aftershave was intoxicating... And there she was...
    I'd like to say that she was an ordinary woman, but I caught my own jaw dropping. Not just at her natural beauty (not a hint of make-up), but her sheer inner beauty, grace, and all round divinity. This was the perfect woman. Cute and sexy doesn't even cover it, and I swear there seemed to be a light around her... Ok. Ok... There couldn't have been, but my memory says that there was definately an angelic quality about her. There were as many straight women (who'd temporarily turned just for her) around her as men." etc. etc. etc.

There was a lot more, but you get the gist of it. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Archangel wrote: »
    The problem with what you are saying however, is that this is what she's like in real life. A real sweetheart who's adored by everyone who knows her.

A female reporter for The Times (not renowned for her holding back on other women) went to write a piece on the Christmas Doctor Who special in 2007 "Voyage Of The Damned" which Kylie headlined with David Tennant... As it happened it was their highest ever ratings at 13.8 million.

I won't go too much into the 5 pages of beautifully worded text, but this hard-nosed reporter began by saying this about her time on the set with Kylie and the cast and crew, which just about sums Kylie up in the eyes of others. Even the most hard-nosed amongst us...

"I came into the studio lot at about 9.30am, and If I'd wanted to find out exactly where she was at any given time, I simply needed to follow the sound of Kylie being lovely... I followed the slew of men and women, gay and straight, that had an awestruck appearence about them. They seemed to be in a genuine state of grace.
    I passed two carpenters (no connection to Xmas, or was there?) in a hallway. One was a huge brute of a man who was holding a piece of wood in one hand, and a sheet of sandpaper in the other. He was still mumbling that SHE'd told him how wonderfully smooth it was, and "wasn't she wonderful"? The other guy was doing everything in his power not to burst into tears, and telling everyone that passed how tiny and beautiful she was.
    Everyone I spoke to in that initial 20 minutes of travelling to the inner sanctum of where they were secretly filming, were simply stunned just by the presence of this apparent Goddess. I must say that I was now getting a little apprehensive about meeting this tiny global pop titan, just in case I said something wrong and ended up being physically harmed fo my blasphemy.
    I first set eyes on her in the canteen. Surrounded by the entire crew, or so it seemed. Everyone was in brand new shirts, blouses and the sound of squeaky new shoes. The heady scent of aftershave was intoxicating... And there she was...
    I'd like to say that she was an ordinary woman, but I caught my own jaw dropping. Not just at her natural beauty (not a hint of make-up), but her sheer inner beauty, grace, and all round divinity. This was the perfect woman. Cute and sexy doesn't even cover it, and I swear there seemed to be a light around her... Ok. Ok... There couldn't have been, but my memory says that there was definately an angelic quality about her. There were as many straight women (who'd temporarily turned just for her) around her as men." etc. etc. etc.

There was a lot more, but you get the gist of it. :)

Kylie truly does seem so lovely. She does have this aura around her.

I think she should stick to what she's doing. I've just turned 19 and have loved Kylie since I can remember and I hope she's still doing the same stuff when I'm 39 :D
  • Options
    Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member

I love Madonna, I think she's a great performer and has made some great pop records.

But she looks like an absolute mess, with the stringy arms, shiny forehead and her *ahem* cheek work.;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i agree with mr fahrenheit, she IS skeletal in appearance and cavorting around half naked isnt how an old lady should be acting. why? well because by her age the quality of her music should speak for its self. great female artists of her age dont do it... annie lennox, alison moyet, kate bush, debbie harry, siouxsie sioux .... and no its not because they arnt 'fit', its because they have decorum, and their music doesnt need the allure of sex appeal to sell units.

ive always said theres a direct corolation between flesh on display and the quality of music.

as for kylie... i hope she doesnt resort to middle age **** appeal, she should carry on doing what shes doing with maturity and grace.

I agree

The problem is that Kylie's talent has never been up anywhere near the fantastic list of artists you have mentioned.

So she's a bit limited & I think she's pigeonholed herself.
  • Options
    PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    Not a Kylie fan but I have to say All the Lovers blew my mind.