Options

Am I Allergic To My Puppy?

allie5allie5 Posts: 4,554
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ive had my golden retriever pup for just over a month now and he is a lovely little thing - full of mischief but utterly adorable.
My problem is, ever since we got him I started feeling ill. It started off with nausea, then fevers, then my asthma got worse and my health has been going down hill steadily. I have been so bad Ive been in bed for 3 days. Ive been to my GP and he sent me to the hospital today for tests. Wont know the results for a week but Im terrified they are going to say Im allergic to the puppy :( .
Ive had a look online and cant see "dog allergies" relate to my sort of symptoms apart from the worsening of asthma - and the doctor did say it was MORE likely to be an infection not the dog so I hope its just that. Has anyone else got a dog allergy and how did you cope? I cant contemplate getting rid of him but Ive felt increasingly worse and cant go on like this if it *IS* an allergy to the dog. :(

Comments

• Options
    MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    I'm a very allergic person, suffering eczema, asthma and hayfever. When I first got my Tabitha when she was a tiny kitten, my eczema flared up which required steroid cream and I was on anthistamine tablets for over a year. I also developed asthma attacks so I was prescribed inhalers. The same symptoms occurred recently when I procured 2 new cats.

However, in my case, my body builds up a tolerance to the allergen so I only have the symptoms for a few weeks or months after first exposure. By being sensible and taking non drowsy antihistamines appropriately and having an inhaler accessible, I remain healthy and manage to keep my pets happy and cossetted too. I think people can be too quick to relinquish their pets because of allergy symptoms......

It's unusual to have a dog allergy, cats' dander is generally linked to the allergic symptoms that people develop. I hope your doctor is right and your illness is unrelated to your new dog. I hope you manage to keep him :)
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    My friend is allergic to my golden - she sneezes, coughs etc, but not nauseous or a fever. A fever itself would indicate infection rather than allergy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fevers would not relate to an allergy at all. Also nausea is not a usual symptom, so I'd doubt it :)

I replied before reading the other reply, glad to see they agree.