Cinema Quiet

Comments

• Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Why can't you see 3D?

If i use active specs, like some TV sets have I can see the 3D, if i use passive like those supplied with cheaper TV sets and what they use in cinemas I just see a blur.

Anyway, they charge enough as it is , no way would I pay the extra for their 3D. But as i said, I have not been in a cinema for years, if I go again i will go on the cheap day, no way am I paying full price.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like to watch superhero movies at the cinema on release as a decent rip usually takes too long to come out. If I want to watch (a few months-)old movies or terrible camcorder rips then staying at home is the best option.

This cartoon is NSFW but I'm surprised nobody posted it yet:
    http://theoatmeal.com/comics/movie_theater_layout
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only go if it's something I really want to see. And that's getting less and less these days. Odeon is doing £5 for non-3D films which is quite a good deal.

I think the cinema experience itself is better than 10 years ago or so. There's a lot less disruption from scallies on the back rows; a bit like people in London, they've been priced out of the cinema. They really clamped down on all that nonsense over the last few years.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »

That link says they make 85% profit on food, not that 85% of their profits come from food.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the relevance of the OP post is???
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That link says they make 85% profit on food, not that 85% of their profits come from food.

We can to and throw about the figures but the truth is, without food a cinema would not survive. That is a fact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We can to and throw about the figures but the truth is, without food a cinema would not survive. That is a fact.

Probably yes, but I was after actual figures to justify the high prices of food.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably yes, but I was after actual figures to justify the high prices of food.

Odean charge almost £6 for a hot dog and I bet the sausages come out of a can. I know Greggs sell hot dog for almost that price, but I bet they are not tinned sausages,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Odean charge almost £6 for a hot dog and I bet the sausages come out of a can. I know Greggs sell hot dog for almost that price, but I bet they are not tinned sausages,

It's a little known fact that most if not all the major cinema chains allow you to take your own cold food and drinks into the cinema.
  • Options
    primerprimer Posts: 6,370
    Forum Member
    i love the cinema. no home movie system can begin to compare.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    I used to go to my local multiplex cinema every Sunday up until a few years ago but got fed up of rude people talking and just generally being loud and disruptive during the film. The worst was groups of teenagers talking, using their mobile phones and even taking pictures!

If we go to the cinema now it's on rare occasions when there is something we really want to see and we go to our local independent cinema where there are no kids and we can enjoy a glass of wine with the film.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People don't know cinema etiquette these days.

Last time I went, there was a row of people who were taking, using their mobiles to text and Facebook and god knows what else. Selfish pond lifes.

You are not at home. Watch the film and enjoy it. People don't want to see your screen brighten up the place.
    Sweetums wrote: »
    I haven't been to the cinema for two or three years because of ignorant morons who couldn't behave themselves if their lives depended on it. Worse than the noise is people playing with their phones because the lights on the devices ARE distracting even if they are trying (not usually) to be discreet.

I just wait for the DVD now if I want to watch a film. With big flat screen TVs and BluRay players, it's far more preferable to stay at home, save a fortune and not have your movie experience ruined by arseholes.

Price was the reason why I didn't go to the cinema much but now this one takes that place now. The last time I went was on my birthday a couple years ago where we came across some boys who were out to act like arses. I tried to keep schtum for as long as possible thinking they'll get bored, but when it came to throwing popcorn, I had to jump up and tell them to knock it off. I was so annoyed, even though it happened during the pre-adverts of the film, it just put a dampener on the events for the rest of the day.

I appreciate that not every cinema trip will turn out this way but still I not keen to pay those prices to find out.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, £3 for the hot dog and a drink, nowhere near £6; they will be canned or vacuum packed so much the same thing. https://www.greggs.co.uk/deals/ have a look there.
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Tuesday's and Wednesdays are cinemas quietest days and hence why most ticket discounts occur on these days.

However cinemas are having to work much harder to get bums on seats and long-term they will need to modernise and find new ways of enticing people in as eventually Hollywood studio's especially will embrace video /content on demand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    primer wrote: »
    i love the cinema. no home movie system can begin to compare.

Depends on how your home system is set up. We made a home cinema in the 'loft, its one big long room, 60" 3D TV, good sound system, popcorn machine, fridge/freezer for cold drinks and ice cream, the grandchildren love it...we love it. :D

Next year I'll go for something like a 75" TV

All that said, I/we take the grandchildren to the cinema and live theatre, entertainment these days comes in various forms...use what you like.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The reason why its so quiet because they are overcharging.
  • Options
    primerprimer Posts: 6,370
    Forum Member
    Depends on how your home system is set up. We made a home cinema in the 'loft, its one big long room, 60" 3D TV, good sound system, popcorn machine, fridge/freezer for cold drinks and ice cream, the grandchildren love it...we love it. :D

All that said, I/we take the grandchildren to the cinema and live theatre, entertainment these days comes in various forms...use what you like.

yes indeed, sounds like a great little set up.

but an imax with 3D surround sound it aint... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, £3 for the hot dog and a drink, nowhere near £6; they will be canned or vacuum packed so much the same thing. https://www.greggs.co.uk/deals/ have a look there.

I was sure i saw £6 on their window. I will not touch canned or vacumme packed sausages. I never liked them when I was a child and I hate them more now.
    Just had a another look and their breakfast sausage looks normal and they say freasly cooked.
    Not that I will buy one, I prefer to go round to the local butcher and get one there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah a mate of mine have a HD projector and project onto a 100 and something inch screen, compleat with 7.1 surround sound. It really is amazing and just as good as any cinema, even if it did cost him a fortune.
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't Cinema meant to be quiet, so people can enjoy watching the film?

I'd rather enjoy watching a film within my own space, rather than have a 5 year old tip their popcorn and pepsi all over me head
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was sure i saw £6 on their window. I will not touch canned or vacumme packed sausages. I never liked them when I was a child and I hate them more now.

Gregg's would never charge £6 for anything they sell.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gregg's would never charge £6 for anything they sell.

Getting close to that these days through.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends on how your home system is set up. We made a home cinema in the 'loft, its one big long room, 60" 3D TV, good sound system, popcorn machine

So after all that outlay, you still have people eating popcorn throughout the movie?

I don't think I've ever eaten anything in a cinema seat in my life (apart from an ice-cream tub, wafer or choc-ice in the intervals, when there used to be two features). (Part of the reason I go to the cinema is to keep away from my fridge for a couple of hours.)

Why can't the food in cinemas be consumed outside the auditorium, in cafe-like areas?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah a mate of mine have a HD projector and project onto a 100 and something inch screen, compleat with 7.1 surround sound. It really is amazing and just as good as any cinema, even if it did cost him a fortune.

I've looked at HD projectors but prefer at the moment to use a screen, cost is not an issue