Options

How to stop puppy eating its own poo

_ben_ben Posts: 5,758
Forum Member
Our puppy eats her own poo. We thought she might grow out of it but at 6 months she's still doing it, and unfortunately she's a very licky dog that won't take no for an answer - she will find a way to lick your hand while you're not looking and then your hand smells as bad as her breath. I've looked it up and it sounds unlikely to be a nutritional deficiency as we feed her a good quality complete food. Behaviourally we're doing what we can distracting her and picking it up without making a big deal which can apparently make things worse by making the poo a high value item. One thing we don't have control over is when she goes out through the dogflap and poos in the garden when we're all out at work, so we were thinking maybe you can get pills to add to their food that makes the poo taste bad? I know certain foods can do this, but apparently their sense of smell is much better than their sense of taste so they can easily distinguish poo that has been made to taste bad in this way. Anyone tried any pills (or any other deterrent) that worked?

Comments

• Options
    CineastCineast Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it helps any, the poo is doing her absolutely no harm whatsoever. It's vile to us, but doesn't hurt them in any way.

Give your pup some pineapple to eat - this contains enzymes which come out in the poo and make it taste/smell vile to them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you wormed her? A dog with worms will eat it's own poo because they are always hungry. It might not be worms, but it's a thought ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, she's been wormed. Eating poo might not be doing her any harm, but it isn't doing us any good - her breath absolutely reeks, and if she wolfs down too much it comes back again which smells even worse. Also, she goes out through the dogflap and poos outside but then brings it inside for later, which isn't very nice.
  • Options
    MULLEENAMULLEENA Posts: 2,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _ben wrote: »
    Yes, she's been wormed. Eating poo might not be doing her any harm, but it isn't doing us any good - her breath absolutely reeks, and if she wolfs down too much it comes back again which smells even worse. Also, she goes out through the dogflap and poos outside but then brings it inside for later, which isn't very nice.
    As far as I know this is not an uncommon problem but your dog should out grow this, it may help to only feed her when your home and then poop and scoop as soon as she's defecated.Good Luck :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As well as the enzymes/pineapple thing.....dogs will eat their own motions if they have a vitamin B deficiency.
    So I suppose you could try some Vit B supplement pills.

If it's a puppy though, it might be nowt to do with vit deficiencies, and just one of those things that puppies sometims do.
    Won't harm to try the Vit B pills though.

Other possibilities here
    http://www.natural-dog-health-remedies.com/dogs-eat-poop.html
  • Options
    Channel HopperChannel Hopper Posts: 15,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks - right in the middle of my breakfast. :rolleyes:

Get to it first and wolf it down yourself.
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    Bah beaten to it :) Our dog eats from the cats litter tray :(
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP - there was a thread about this not long ago. My dog also eats poo. She isnt too keen on her own, but eats her brothers. They are on the same diet, and she is fit and healthy. But she has a poo fettish.

I try and pick it up before she reaches it, but she goes out the dog flap when she wants to, and she is alone at night while we are in bed.

Her breath is vile. We have tried the pineapple thing to get her to stop, but unfortunately for us ... it made the poo more desirable !!!
  • Options
    Lisa.JLisa.J Posts: 1,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skunkboy69 wrote: »
    Bah beaten to it :) Our dog eats from the cats litter tray :(

My dog used to do that after we moved house and had to keep the cats in for a while, its just vile isnt it :eek:

He used to lick his lips like he really enjoyed it too :o:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Porcupine wrote: »
    They are on the same diet, and she is fit and healthy. But she has a poo fettish.

We have two other dogs which don't eat poo, and they are all on the same diet (a mixture of three dry complete foods - james welbeloved, beta, and pedigree) but the puppy seems to love eating poo.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The poo-eating is actually called coprophagia. There is a natural homeopathic remedy available here from simplyk9 (a UK site as well!) : http://www.simplyk9.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_14_39&products_id=153
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once had a dog that did this

I cured it with a catapult and paper pellets . Every time he went to eat it he got a sting on the arse .
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kizzie wrote: »
    I once had a dog that did this

I cured it with a catapult and paper pellets . Every time he went to eat it he got a sting on the arse .

I'm against all forms of wilful animal cruelty (even though I've smacked my pup on the bum for doing exactly the same thing :o:(- to no effect) , but that made me grin.

I know it's no comfort, but it does make me feel a bit better knowing that my 7 month old pup isn't the only one who seems to savour the taste of poop (although less so lately, thankfully)- his, the cat's and any other animal's. He has also recently discovered the 'pleasure' of a stink roll. :eek:
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    I'm against all forms of wilful animal cruelty (even though I've smacked my pup on the bum for doing exactly the same thing :o:(- to no effect) , but that made me grin.

I'm against animal cruelty as well, but I don't think in the circumstances that a sharp reminder is cruel. A water spray would probably work as well. I am SO glad that cats don't seem to eat crap!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 6 and 7 month old here who both do the same thing :(

We've even squirted washing up liquid over it (as told by the vet) to stop them eating it whilst we pikck the other up but then they grab for the bags and try and run off with them.

.... They're otherwise fully trained believe it or not :rolleyes: :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »

I know it's no comfort, but it does make me feel a bit better knowing that my 7 month old pup isn't the only one who seems to savour the taste of poop (although less so lately, thankfully)- his, the cat's and any other animal's. He has also recently discovered the 'pleasure' of a stink roll. :eek:

Smacking their bum does not work as they know its you.

If you do it with a catapult from a open window or door that just start associating eating poo with a stingy arse lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    I'm against animal cruelty as well, but I don't think in the circumstances that a sharp reminder is cruel. A water spray would probably work as well. I am SO glad that cats don't seem to eat crap!

Water pistols did not work with my dog but worked at training all my cats .
  • Options
    Mrs DoodlesMrs Doodles Posts: 4,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our puppy eats her own poo. We thought she might grow out of it but at 6 months she's still doing it, and unfortunately she's a very licky dog that won't take no for an answer - she will find a way to lick your hand while you're not looking and then your hand smells as bad as her breath. I've looked it up and it sounds unlikely to be a nutritional deficiency as we feed her a good quality complete food. Behaviourally we're doing what we can distracting her and picking it up without making a big deal which can apparently make things worse by making the poo a high value item. One thing we don't have control over is when she goes out through the dogflap and poos in the garden when we're all out at work, so we were thinking maybe you can get pills to add to their food that makes the poo taste bad? I know certain foods can do this, but apparently their sense of smell is much better than their sense of taste so they can easily distinguish poo that has been made to taste bad in this way. Anyone tried any pills (or any other deterrent) that worked?

My next door neighbours door lucy with is a staffy eats her own poo and she is 6 :eek: my advice is to go to the vets and see what they say.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smiffina wrote: »
    A 6 and 7 month old here who both do the same thing :(

We've even squirted washing up liquid over it (as told by the vet) to stop them eating it whilst we pikck the other up but then they grab for the bags and try and run off with them.

.... They're otherwise fully trained believe it or not :rolleyes: :D

Well, did they blow bubbles?!!!:D

I've read pepper's good, too, but I can't stand the smell of pepper.:eek:

Oh...and I have a snoggy doggy, too, who thinks I need regular 'washes'. If he heads towards me I head for the wet wipes asap! Thing is, I do rather like puppy hugs and cuddles :o:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hee, they have the sense to leave it then - but they grab for the bags and try and rip them off your hands as revenge :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    snowy2007 wrote: »
    The poo-eating is actually called coprophagia. There is a natural homeopathic remedy available here from simplyk9 (a UK site as well!) : http://www.simplyk9.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_14_39&products_id=153

Thanks for the link. I actually found some pills on Amazon of all places;
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deter-Coprophagia-Treatment-Chewable-Tablets/dp/B001A2ZHZK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=garden&qid=1228781827&sr=8-1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a three year old bitch who still eats poo.....hers, our other border terriers, the cat poo and any other poo available! :eek: :(

The vet said she learnt it off her mother when she was a puppy.....she was bred on a farm as a working dog so when she was born Mum was left to get on with it and Mums way of keeping the nest clean is to eat the puppies poo! The vet said it won't harm her as long as we worm her regularly....and believe me we have tried everything to stop her doing it.....putting stuff in her food to a water pistol and she still eats poo! Yukk!
  • Options
    mr.ianmr.ian Posts: 4,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish mine would eat his, it would save me picking it up.
    It's the circle of shite.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Dogs find it sexy. Their favourites tend to be vulpine,ovine or bovine faecal matter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My dog used to do exactly the same thing when she was a puppy, and still does occasionally! It's completely normal, and saves having to go around the garden to pick it up!