Options

Humax HD FOX T2: Not recording sound

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
Forum Member
Hi Folks,

I've has a Humax HD Fox T2, with USB connected harddrive for sometime now.

Up until the 1st of June it has worked perfectly.

However from them, and for a reason I cannot fathom, it has stopped recording sound on the HD channels. It works as normal on the normal channels, yet on HD programmes it is not picking up the sound, even though I can watch them live fine.

I've tried switching on and off several times, disconnecting and re-connecting, recording live and on timer, clearing space on my harddrive, recording from a different batch of HD channels, searching for a software update, all without success.

I've emailed Humax, who have sent me (a seemingly generic response) instructions of how to manually programme my box. But I strongly suspect this won't help.

Can any of you advise, or offer a different reason/solution?

For reference I'm picking up my signal from the Sutton Coldfield transmitter.

Thanks dudes.

Comments

• Options
    Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Knewbie wrote: »
    However from them, and for a reason I cannot fathom, it has stopped recording sound on the HD channels.
    I would be very surprised if it was not recording the sound; I guess the problem is with playing back the sound. Is the Humax connected to a TV via HDMI? Have you tried the different audio out options and the different audio streams?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It is. Connected by HDMI. And I will go and try the different audio connections.

But would it use different ones for when watching HD live, and also when playing back normal channels?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I still haven't found a solution.

Have tried different audio connections (but it looks like these are connected to the TV scart, which I don't believe you can use for HD channels, can you?) without success.

Have tried using a different HDMI cable without success.

Have tried playing with the audio settings without success.

Seems really strange to have sound when watching, but then not to get it on playback. Very odd. Especially given the non HD are working as normal, both in live and playback.
  • Options
    ejstubbsejstubbs Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    Have tried different audio connections (but it looks like these are connected to the TV scart, which I don't believe you can use for HD channels, can you?)
    You can watch HD channels and HD recordings via SCART, they just get downscaled. (I use this method sometimes with my DVD recorder, to record programmes which were originally recorded as HD on to DVD.) If you try it and you get audio when playing back HD via SCART then that would suggest that the issue lies with HDMI on playback, not in the recording process.

(For the best SD picture quality you should make sure that the Humax' SCART output is set to RGB - but for audio testing purposes it doesn't matter.)
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try turning off surround sound in the HD TV setup menu to eliminate a TV problem with ac3 audio.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ejstubbs wrote: »
    You can watch HD channels and HD recordings via SCART, they just get downscaled. (I use this method sometimes with my DVD recorder, to record programmes which were originally recorded as HD on to DVD.) If you try it and you get audio when playing back HD via SCART then that would suggest that the issue lies with HDMI on playback, not in the recording process.

(For the best SD picture quality you should make sure that the Humax' SCART output is set to RGB - but for audio testing purposes it doesn't matter.)

Thanks for this. Connected up via Scart and got the same problem. Audio on normal TV recordings, no audio on HDTV recordings.
    Try turning off surround sound in the HD TV setup menu to eliminate a TV problem with ac3 audio.

Thanks. Have been unable to find a surround sound setting on my TV, and haven't messed with it recently to start this problem. Have tried switching between stereo and multi-channel audio options on my Humax, but without it making a difference.
  • Options
    HellicopterHellicopter Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Strangely, I am suffering with the same problem and with similar timing. The symptoms are exactly the same as described here, which suggests that it may be something the broadcasters have done.

Have you tried a factory reset though I suspect this would lose all recordings?
  • Options
    Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strangely, I am suffering with the same problem and with similar timing. The symptoms are exactly the same as described here, which suggests that it may be something the broadcasters have done.
    There do seem to be a number of reports around; perhaps worth phoning Humax and emphasising that a number of people have a similar problem.

A factory reset will not remove any recordings that are already on the disk but will delete the schedule of future recordings.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for this. Connected up via Scart and got the same problem. Audio on normal TV recordings, no audio on HDTV recordings.

Thanks. Have been unable to find a surround sound setting on my TV, and haven't messed with it recently to start this problem. Have tried switching between stereo and multi-channel audio options on my Humax, but without it making a difference.

The setting is on the HD FOX T2 in the TV setup if I remember correctly
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There do seem to be a number of reports around; perhaps worth phoning Humax and emphasising that a number of people have a similar problem.

I've emailed them, and got a decent response, then they threw me a standard looking email on how to manually tune my Humax HD box.

Irritates me enormously to think I will have to phone them - at my expense - to tell them about this problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Sorry if you've got them same time, but at the same time pleased it isn't just me.

Have tried to re-install all channels without it making a difference. As mention, lost all my schedule, but not of my existing recordings.
  • Options
    Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've has a Humax HD Fox T2, with USB connected harddrive for sometime now.

Up until the 1st of June it has worked perfectly.

However from them, and for a reason I cannot fathom, it has stopped recording sound on the HD channels. It works as normal on the normal channels, yet on HD programmes it is not picking up the sound, even though I can watch them live fine.

This has been reported elsewhere, including the start date of the 1st June. This happend with an old version of the software. When a newer version is loaded the sound works OK. When the old version is loaded again it reverts back to not working.
    Unless there is not a particular reason why you would want to use old software the reported solution is to update the software to the newer 1.02.20 version.

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/missing-audio-on-hd-recordings.1740/#post-22843

To check which version of the software you are using the menu trail is:
    MENU -> Settings -> System -> System Information.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The setting is on the HD FOX T2 in the TV setup if I remember correctly

Thanks for this, but still can't find this setting.

All seems very odd, and with others getting the same problem, think it is a change we aren't in control of. Weird.
  • Options
    Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (Removed by poster as not applicable anymore)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Luis Essex wrote: »
    This has been reported elsewhere, including the start date of the 1st June. This happend with an old version of the software. When a newer version is loaded the sound works OK. When the old version is loaded again it reverts back to not working.
    Unless there is not a particular reason why you would want to use old software the reported solution is to update the software to the newer 1.02.20 version.

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/missing-audio-on-hd-recordings.1740/#post-22843

To check which version of the software you are using the menu trail is:
    MENU -> Settings -> System -> System Information.

Thanks for this info, and the link.

Have installed the software update, and has solved the problem.

Software (and instructions) here

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/support/downloadcenter_model_tool.aspx?category_seq=181
  • Options
    HellicopterHellicopter Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Problem solved.Many thanks.