Cat owners - do you allow your cats out of the house freely, or keep them in?

1235»

Comments

• bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [/B]

Very true, it's like talking to a brick wall, yet the ones who are trying to be responsible for their pets and other peoples are the ones in the wrong

Well, truth is, you can say and think whatever you like. The law says cats can wander, and most owners let them do so - see the poll for proof. Only a tiny minority of people actually care that a cat is in their garden. Most are too busy with their lives to even notice.

Although my thread was aimed at cat owners, sadly it's been extensively monopolised by anti cat posters. Nonetheless, my point is proven and I don't need to say anymore. As for talking to a brick wall - oh the irony !!!

If you feel that the what you deem to be nuisance cats are breaking the law, track down their owners and report them to the police or environmental health, whatever. See how much time they are willing to spend on your case (probably not much).

My work here is done - bye :)
  • shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    Well, truth is, you can say and think whatever you like. The law says cats can wander, and most owners let them do so - see the poll for proof. Only a tiny minority of people actually care that a cat is in their garden. Most are too busy with their lives to even notice.

Although my thread was aimed at cat owners, sadly it's been extensively monopolised by anti cat posters. Nonetheless, my point is proven and I don't need to say anymore. As for talking to a brick wall - oh the irony !!!

If you feel that the what you deem to be nuisance cats are breaking the law, track down their owners and report them to the police or environmental health, whatever. See how much time they are willing to spend on your case (probably not much).

Ignorance is bliss. .Our point as non cat owners is don't be so certain your cat isn't getting soaked, booted or worse when they are out. .to those of us with nothing better to do (work from home in a building overlooking my garden! ) yes it is an issue. ..even the nicest of people having exhausted all options will have enough.
  • MichellerlzMichellerlz Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »

Taking over your post ( Not anti cat by the way, just anti inconsiderate cat owners ) oh the irony, I seem to remember mine being took over when I was asking how to stop someone's pet being a nuisance to mine, instead I was hit with a barrage of anti dog and know the law posts.
    And I do know who the owners are, and I am on it already not even going to bother speaking to them first as Iv came to find out cat owners are unfortunately not reasonable and considerate, thank you for bringing that to my attention :)
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shirlt9 wrote: »
    Ignorance is bliss. .Our point as non cat owners is don't be so certain your cat isn't getting soaked, booted or worse when they are out. .to those of us with nothing better to do (work from home in a building overlooking my garden! ) yes it is an issue. ..even the nicest of people having exhausted all options will have enough.
    Your post sums up the attitude of cat haters.
    Forum Member
    CELT1987 wrote: »

Cat OWNERS hater. .and only those that go buy 2/3 then leave them out to roam all the time!..What's the point in that?

I love animals. .I just don't like other people's coming into their space and attacking. .my rabbit and aviary!..I've spent a lot of money on our garden and outbuilding over the years. .work from home overlooking my animals and garden..leave my door open in summer whilst working and find cat hairs on stock cats hanging off my aviary frightening my birds ans pawing at my rabbit. .so yes after 20 years in same home doing same thing am fed up with it
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Taking over your post ( Not anti cat by the way, just anti inconsiderate cat owners ) oh the irony, I seem to remember mine being took over when I was asking how to stop someone's pet being a nuisance to mine, instead I was hit with a barrage of anti dog and know the law posts.
    And I do know who the owners are, and I am on it already not even going to bother speaking to them first as Iv came to find out cat owners are unfortunately not reasonable and considerate, thank you for bringing that to my attention :)

Yes, I agree most cat owners couldn't care less what their cat is up to, it is obvious from this thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »

Just because someone doesn't want another persons cat in their garden, crapping in it and attacking their pets, going in their homes peeing doesn't meant they hate cats, they want owners to be more responsible and reasonable instead of screeching "cat haters" and "the law says our balls of fluff can do what they want and everyone else can deal with the consequences" when you can actually be held liable with evidence, which I fully plan on doing now thanks to the appalling couldn't care less attitudes Iv seen in recent days. All I wanted was advice to deter a nuisance cat from coming into my garden, instead I got rude arrogant comments as did others, can't help people being pissed of by that, it's human nature :)
  • Nicola32Nicola32 Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member

ALL cat owners?? I am a cat owner and I consider myself to be a very reasonable and considerate person.

You shouldn't generalise and tar everyone with the same brush.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nicola32 wrote: »
    ALL cat owners?? I am a cat owner and I consider myself to be a very reasonable and considerate person.

You shouldn't generalise and tar everyone with the same brush.

No not all, I didn't say all and I actually thought I'd wrote some, as I have in previous posts. my mam is a cat owner and she is responsible and considerate, as are supposedly a small minority judging by this poll who do know where their pets are and know for certain that their pet isn't causing problems elsewhere.

Also the op shouldn't generalise And tar with the same brush that all people who don't want their cats being a nuisance to their pets and property are anti cats, they are just anti the owners who either deny the problem or don't care and think people should just suck it up instead of being reasonable and considerate and offering solutions.
  • speigelspeigel Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat is allowed out as much as she likes. It's her world too in my opinion.
    Forum Member
    speigel wrote: »
    My cat is allowed out as much as she likes. It's her world too in my opinion.

Do you live in a commune?
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Beast comes and goes as he pleases 24/7.

He is getting older, 12 next month, and I have noticed, that he likes kipping on the bed with us during the night now.

Which is a plus, because we don't have the 2 am screaming because he has brought something in, but a pain because the little sod takes up far too much room for a cat.:p

We have good relations with all our neighbours; they all seem to like the Beast, and we have seen out the window them pet him. So I guess he can't be to much trouble.

A previous neighbour (I have mentioned this before in another thread) wasn't totally HP about Beast sitting on his car (he left footprints) The subject came up in friendly conversation and I told him to just shout, or clap hands, or threaten him with a water squirter. As long a he didn't hurt Beast, I had no issues

A couple of times I heard "gerroff my car" or some such, I would do the same if I saw him first and the Beast got the message.

Ever since he got his first whiff of ozone, the Beast has wanted to be scampering about outdoors, we live in a quiet little cul-de-sac with bridleways on two sides and he is safe from traffic.

So he does his cat stuff outside, seemingly not upsetting people, I don't think the neighbours would pet him if he was shitting in their garden or generally being a pest.

If they had an issue, as we are all on friendly terms I would tell them what I told previous neighbour, and I would do my bit too.

Cats are cats, but that doesn't mean they have carte blanche to do what they like if it upsets others.

I will use the analogy of children, they can be screaming outside playing, or continually kick balls over ones fence (I've had that:D). It's their nature, they are having fun. I don't have a problem, and indeed quite like the noise of kids playing, but not everyone does.

But that fun, shouldn't bother other people, so like a cat being a pest, a friendly chat about what to do can smooth things over.

If BOTH sides want to engage.

If the cat owner, has the attitude that "it's a cat, what can I do" or the non cat owner just decides it's ok to throw rocks or give the cat a booting, without talking to the owner first about the problem, then both are out of order.

I love the Beast, for all his gitness, but I don't expect everyone else too, and if someone has a problem with him I will do all I can to sort it out. But they have to tell me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    misha06 wrote: »

He is getting older, 12 next month, and I have noticed, that he likes kipping on the bed with us during the night now.

Which is a plus, because we don't have the 2 am screaming because he has brought something in, but a pain because the little sod takes up far too much room for a cat.:p

We have good relations with all our neighbours; they all seem to like the Beast, and we have seen out the window them pet him. So I guess he can't be to much trouble.

A previous neighbour (I have mentioned this before in another thread) wasn't totally HP about Beast sitting on his car (he left footprints) The subject came up in friendly conversation and I told him to just shout, or clap hands, or threaten him with a water squirter. As long a he didn't hurt Beast, I had no issues

A couple of times I heard "gerroff my car" or some such, I would do the same if I saw him first and the Beast got the message.

Ever since he got his first whiff of ozone, the Beast has wanted to be scampering about outdoors, we live in a quiet little cul-de-sac with bridleways on two sides and he is safe from traffic.

So he does his cat stuff outside, seemingly not upsetting people, I don't think the neighbours would pet him if he was shitting in their garden or generally being a pest.

If they had an issue, as we are all on friendly terms I would tell them what I told previous neighbour, and I would do my bit too.

Cats are cats, but that doesn't mean they have carte blanche to do what they like if it upsets others.

I will use the analogy of children, they can be screaming outside playing, or continually kick balls over ones fence (I've had that:D). It's their nature, they are having fun. I don't have a problem, and indeed quite like the noise of kids playing, but not everyone does.

But that fun, shouldn't bother other people, so like a cat being a pest, a friendly chat about what to do can smooth things over.

If the cat owner, has the attitude that "it's a cat, what can I do" or the non cat owner just decides it's ok to throw rocks or give the cat a booting, without talking to the owner first about the problem, then both are out of order.

I love the Beast, for all his gitness, but I don't expect everyone else too, and if someone has a problem with him I will do all I can to sort it out. But they have to tell me.

I agree with everything you say, I wish more people could see things this way :)
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misha06 wrote: »

Ah a reasonable person ! Unlike many neighbours, one neighbour here was asked really nicely by one of the elderly neighbours if she could clear up the cat poo her 3 were doing in the communal hallway, the language and threats was scary and in the end my husband cleared it up just to stop any further threats to an elderly lady. Perhaps that is all we are talking about people being reasonable about their pets !
  • ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roam freely.
  • Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I lost my two cats { who were related to each other } to cancer - I just could not replace them straight away - I waited one year and then started looking as I wanted two cats rather than kittens - a good friend let me know that she had a friend who had to move to a new house and that the new landlord wanted £1,500 per cat { extra charge due to damage } - she had four cats and just could not afford to pay £6,000 to keep them so my friend and I went up to see them -

I picked two young female cats { who are related to each other } - the owner made it clear that she would only be happy if I kept them as "housecats" so I agreed.The cats have settled in really well and I have had them for six months and I will keep to my word - I have kept the previous owner up to date as to how the cats are getting on and I also send her photos so she still has a connection.I live very close to the very busy A10 and sadly nearly every day there is a cat killed close to where I live so I am happy to keep them in.
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes, my cat has free access to outside whenever she wants it - I have a cat flap

she is 14 years old now so doesnt spend a huge amount of time outside and if she does go outside she very rarely ventures out of my garden - which is fine with me :)

she will sometimes venture next door but they love her to pieces and dont mind her sitting on their patio

she doesnt poop anywhere but my back lawn so its me that clears it up - I would be mortified if she pooped on the neighbours lawn but thankfully she doesnt

she doesnt go out at night, she sleeps on my bed with me - that might be because when she was a kitten/growing up into a mature cat, I locked the cat flap at night as I didnt want her out at all hours - since she became an older lady she just doesnt bother going out at night - the cat flap is unlocked but I get the feeling she has "trained" herself to think its locked at night

in her younger years she brought home the occasional kill - small doormice usually (alive) and dropped them in the house but she has never really been a hunter - thankfully!

because she is a small cat she was often the one being attacked by neighbours cats (she cost a fortune in vet bills when she was younger!) but I guess that is what happens when you have a lot of cats living in a small area - its a territory thing - maybe thats why she sticks to her own garden nowadays