dog barking is driving me crazy

2»

Comments

• roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Yeah, about 12 years ago we managed to successfully get a dog taken away from its owner. Just incessant barking all day with apparently no attempt to train it to be quiet.

Pure bliss after that. :)

This is why I'd always recommend dog owners to be pro-active about stopping barking, which the OP is trying to be, it vastly reduces the chances of it being taken off you in the future.
  • callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    I have always started as I mean to go on and stopped barking straight away has worked on all my dogs except ELSIE !! who won't stop barking when we go for a walk so I do understand and I am floundering a bit too as to how to stop her, she is 15 months and I keep saying to her she will be lucky to see 2 years if she carries on like this - obviously don't mean it but I will be interested to see what answers you get as I may be able to use them too.

After she was attacked Suzie started barking at all other dogs when she was out on her walks. Making her sit, a finger pointing at her (which she hates) and a stern NO, and after a few weeks she's now fine.

Dunno if that's any help
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    callmediva wrote: »
    After she was attacked Suzie started barking at all other dogs when she was out on her walks. Making her sit, a finger pointing at her (which she hates) and a stern NO, and after a few weeks she's now fine.

Dunno if that's any help

I think the problem with Elsie is it's over excitement and her barking is just frustration she wants to play with everyone. Making her sit just frustrates her more and we end it with a lunge and spin round which nearly takes my arm off !

The vet says she will calm down as she ages, she hasn't shown much sign of it yet :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the problem with Elsie is it's over excitement and her barking is just frustration she wants to play with everyone. Making her sit just frustrates her more and we end it with a lunge and spin round which nearly takes my arm off !

The vet says she will calm down as she ages, she hasn't shown much sign of it yet :o

it took Molly 7 years to calm down. She didn't bark, but wanted to say Hi to everyone and everything, even a leaf!
  • theidtheid Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    Tt88 wrote: »
    Interesting to know. One of our neighbours dogs is constantly barking. They put the dog outside and leave it out there alone all day. It barks everytime someone walks past or it hears a noise.

Poor little thing is starved of attention! They never walk it, never ineteract with it or anything. Its just left alone for hours at a time in an empty garden with nothing to amuse it except a hole in the fence to look out of.

I thought about contacting the rspca but i thought so long as the dog was fed and watered there was nothing they could do. From my view of their garden i cant say for sure if it does have access to food or water so havent been able to report them for neglect.

The 2006 Animal Welfare Act altered the goal posts:

http://www.rspca.org.uk/whatwedo/changingthelaw/whatwechanged/animalwelfareact

New rules stipulate HOW to keep an animal:

they must take positive steps to ensure they care for their animals properly and in particular must provide for the five welfare needs, which are:

need for a suitable environment
    need for a suitable diet
    need to be able to exhibit normal behaviour patterns
    need to be housed with, or apart, from other animals
    need to be protected from pain, suffering, injury and disease.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    theid wrote: »

they must take positive steps to ensure they care for their animals properly and in particular must provide for the five welfare needs, which are:

need for a suitable diet

I know what they mean, but the wording is a bit, well let's put it this way, it's not hard to do is it?
    House it with or without other animals.......ok :D:D
  • OldnboldOldnbold Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually what your dog is telling you is that it is bored to tears. Play with your dog, take it out for a walk, show some interest. There are a lot of dog owners, not so many are dog lovers. Dogs need exercise ie getting up out of the armchair and taking your dog for a walk. You may find out that seeing your dog have fun.is also fun for you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnbold wrote: »
    Actually what your dog is telling you is that it is bored to tears. Play with your dog, take it out for a walk, show some interest. There are a lot of dog owners, not so many are dog lovers. Dogs need exercise ie getting up out of the armchair and taking your dog for a walk. You may find out that seeing your dog have fun.is also fun for you.

That is a possible cause but the dog needs to learn the owner is not able to play 24/7 and not bark for attention. Dogs are our family but they can't always have our attention or none of us would be able to work, have families and lives etc.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    theid wrote: »

need for a suitable diet
    Yeah right. When I reported a little dog kept in a dark horse trailer by a lonely barn day and night, not let out, with faeces building up around it and crying piteously the whole time - the RSPCA weren't even willing to come and have a word with the owner.
    They said they were too busy 'firefighting' - dealing with extreme cases such as beatings and starvation.
    Either 'suitable' is pretty flexible or the rules are only as good as the numbers of staff available to apply them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah right. When I reported a little dog kept in a dark horse trailer by a lonely barn day and night, not let out, with faeces building up around it and crying piteously the whole time - the RSPCA weren't even willing to come and have a word with the owner.
    They said they were too busy 'firefighting' - dealing with extreme cases such as beatings and starvation.
    Either 'suitable' is pretty flexible or the rules are only as good as the numbers of staff available to apply them.

Can guarantee if you had arranged a TV show to cover the rescue they would have been there like a shot. Done everything in their power to sort the problem out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roger_50 wrote: »
    Yeah, about 12 years ago we managed to successfully get a dog taken away from its owner. Just incessant barking all day with apparently no attempt to train it to be quiet.
    Pure bliss after that. :)
    This is why I'd always recommend dog owners to be pro-active about stopping barking, which the OP is trying to be, it vastly reduces the chances of it being taken off you in the future.

What a strange and rather unpleasant boast and threat.
    That said I hope the dog ended up somewhere where it was loved and cared for - if indeed that was the problem.
    Forum Member
    What a strange and rather unpleasant boast and threat.
    That said I hope the dog ended up somewhere where it was loved and cared for - if indeed that was the problem.
    What's strange and unpleasant about it? What made you think it was a threat? :confused:

I have no idea where the dog in question ended up. It just seemed appropriate to bring up what happened in a thread such as this - I mean, it stands to reason doesn't it? It's better to prevent the possibility of neighbours complaining I would have thought.

Dogs get taken for incessant barking and there are times the owners are utterly convinced they've done nothing wrong. Not really sure why you reacted to my post the way you did....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's strange and unpleasant about it? What made you think it was a threat? :confused:

I have no idea where the dog in question ended up. It just seemed appropriate to bring up what happened in a thread such as this - I mean, it stands to reason doesn't it? It's better to prevent the possibility of neighbours complaining I would have thought.

Dogs get taken for incessant barking and there are times the owners are utterly convinced they've done nothing wrong. Not really sure why you reacted to my post the way you did....
    I can understand why you did it I guess it's just something many dog owners would not do because we worry what would happen to the dog as you say you have no idea yourself. Personally I would feel uncomfortable thinking I may have caused a dog to be killed just because I lost patience - of course it's an annoyance but for me it's not so bad I would want a dog to lose it's life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It comes across as a boast - to have dog taken from its owners - and that last sentence comes across a veiled warning. Removing a barking dog is very much a last resort and is just as likely to take place on welfare grounds - ie if on investigation the dog is found to be uncared for.
    http://www.problemneighbours.co.uk/what-can-we-do-about-our-neighbours-noisy-dogs.html
    It is probably unintentional on your part but posting this sort of thing could unnecessarily worry someone who has this problem with their own dog and who is trying to do something about it. It's worth remembering that this is how the thread started someone asking for advice about their own dog. So I'm not sure comments like these are helpful.
    Forum Member
    It comes across as a boast - to have dog taken from its owners - and that last sentence comes across a veiled warning. Removing a barking dog is very much a last resort and is just as likely to take place on welfare grounds - ie if on investigation the dog is found to be uncared for.
    http://www.problemneighbours.co.uk/what-can-we-do-about-our-neighbours-noisy-dogs.html
    It is probably unintentional on your part but posting this sort of thing could unnecessarily worry someone who has this problem with their own dog and who is trying to do something about it. Which was actually the original subject of this thread.
    Like I say, I think you're misinterpreting my post in terms of its intention. :confused:

All I know is the dog was removed after we reported the owner for incessant barking - whether there were other welfare issues that also contributed to it I don't know. It was listed under noise nuisance at least. (Plus it was 12 years ago and councils can operate differently over time)

Point is, it's better to avoid getting in to the territory of neighbours reporting you for incessant barking in the first place, since it can set off a chain of events. So therefore, being pro-active to reduce the barking yourself, like the OP is doing, is the best thing to do.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is a possible cause but the dog needs to learn the owner is not able to play 24/7 and not bark for attention. Dogs are our family but they can't always have our attention or none of us would be able to work, have families and lives etc.
    Here lies the problem, in that many people are treating their dog as an accessory which has to be fitted into their own lifestyle and working patterns. I once had to put in a lot of effort to convince a girl in the office where I worked that it was simply unacceptable to leave a dog alone in her terraced house all day, except for a quick visit at lunch time. Fortunately she saw sense and didn't get "the cute little doggie" that she thought she needed to complete her life. That almost certainly saved both a dog and the girl's neighbours from prolonged misery.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Here lies the problem, in that many people are treating their dog as an accessory which has to be fitted into their own lifestyle and working patterns. I once had to put in a lot of effort to convince a girl in the office where I worked that it was simply unacceptable to leave a dog alone in her terraced house all day, except for a quick visit at lunch time. Fortunately she saw sense and didn't get "the cute little doggie" that she thought she needed to complete her life. That almost certainly saved both a dog and the girl's neighbours from prolonged misery.

My dogs are not accessories at all they are the main focus of our lives our family but they have to live here in a flat and know barking is not allowed or we would all be out on the streets, they are left alone no more than an hour a day but again have to know to be quiet when they are left.
    Dogs have to have boundaries and cannot any more than a child be allowed complete freedom. Too many irresponsible owners don't care about other people and their dogs cause nuisance I don't want mine to ever do that.
  • katywilkatywil Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i had to go out today so i left my little dog on the outside terrace. first time ive done that. i normally leave her inside the house. i have been told by neighbours that she was very well behaved. she didnt bark at all at anyone. we have a communal garden so there are people coming and going. my little girl seems to bark only when we are there, as if she is telling us there is a cat or a person there. if we are out, she doesnt need to tell us, so , no barking. i find this fascinating. my little girl is just protecting us in her doggie mind. shes very good with my tin rattle. it seems when she hears the tin, she knows we know there is a cat. she doesnt need to bark any more.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My neighbour has a dog which barks very occasionally. Nothing wrong with that at all. What is absolutely soul destroying is when you have to live within earshot of a dog which barks every second for hours on end, That can really ruin your life and nobody should ever be subjected to it. The trouble is, a dog like that can affect you when it is up to a quarter of a mile away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are right they cause problems for those of us teaching our dogs not to bark too as they set off the whole neighbourhood sometimes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Used to live in a place where some dogs would set up a tremendous cacophony every time someone walked past. It didn't bother me I have to say though it did get to the people next door. I was more bothered by another dog which used to howl all day because it had been left. It wasn't the noise - it was because it tugged at the heartstrings.
    We told the owners and even offered to walk the dog while they were out to no avail. :confused:
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our Floyd is the most fantastic pet, in fact he's not a pet, he's my best mate, we are inseparable and have been since the day I got him as a puppy, he will be 7 this year, as I write this he is sleeping at my feet, he is a terrier, (JR and Westie cross) everyone who knows him just loves him to bits, he is fantastic with our 2 year old grandson and puts up with all sorts of 'stuff' from him, and we know what a 2 year old can be like, and yet the very worst abuse heaped upon him might once in a while get a very low very short growl, before he moves away from the screaming 'hitting thing' who uses him as a handkerchief,
    BUT, if anyone knocks at or even comes near the front door, or even if he thinks he hears someone talking about knocking at the door, Hell, he even dreams about people knocking at the door, as he will be fast asleep and suddenly leap to his feet barking his little head off and run to the front door, only to have it suddenly dawn on him that it was a dream.

the thing is he hears the knock a split second before we do, I dunno how but he does, so I can be sitting watching TV with him curled up with his head in my lap and suddenly and without warning he jumps up and starts to bark at the top of his voice, the number of times I feel as though my head hits the damn ceiling from being made to jump out of my skin, can not be good for me,

We have tried all sorts of things even the collars not the electric shock ones but the high pitched whistle ones, tried an electric one ONCE, and seeing him jump from the shock the very first time was enough for me to never use the electric setting again, and I felt guilty for weeks afterwards,
    We tried the 'put him in another room before going to the door' technique, and the result of that is that he now automatically heads for the kitchen door, still barking and continues to bark from the kitchen,
    the thing is on the few occasions when the door gets opened before he is secured away all he does is run outside bark for a few seconds, give a couple of sniffs, and then walks away. but from the barking volume you would think he was going to eat the person knocking.
    I think we have given up any hope of getting him out of this habit now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried getting him to sit, it takes a while and you need two people one to ring the door bell. We do that early on but it can be done later we managed with an older dog we took on the teach that.
    Also if they bark at the post just ignore the post and get it an hour later when they have calmed down, just takes a week or two for them to realise you are not reacting to it so they don't need to either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    You have to be firm with dogs, it's all part of training. They need to know that "no" is NO and that YOU'RE the leader of the pack, NOT them.

If your dog barks, don't pander to her as she will expect you to keep giving her attention.

Avoid treats if she's constantly barking as it encourages her to continue the bad behaviour.

If you can afford then perhaps consider obedience classes but yeah, continue being firm and make sure the dog knows their place. I'm not a massive expert on dogs but my partners dad has a loud, constant yapping Jack Russell Terrier who does my nut in, but he doesn't behave when my partner's dad is around because he doesn't show him who's boss enough and just spoils him.

If your dog is nervous there are home air fragrances you can purchase that have a "pet calming" effect.

You need to make sure the barking is kept to a minimum because you may end up receive complaints from neighbours.

Good luck :)