I'm becoming obsessed with getting a 1st

124»

Comments

• Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in law, for example, getting a 1st will give you a distinct advantage..

Not true. If you're in law and want to be a barrister, then yes, a 1st probably will help. If you want to be a solicitor, the standard cut-off for firms is a 2.1 and AAB A-Levels, and because of the nature of the interview process, there's no extra help from having a 1st. A 2.2 is useless, but a 2.1 is perfectly acceptable.
    Lock your doors. Don't do any "partying" at all until your degree is finished.

I honestly think that's the worst advice that could be given. If I stopped going out and having fun from now until finals I wouldn't get a 1st, I'd go insane. There's absolutely nothing wrong with going to the pub with friends for a couple of hours in the evening after a day of revision, or going on on a Saturday night after working all week. It is possible to work hard AND have a life at the same time :rolleyes:
  • darakinssdarakinss Posts: 1,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first year usually doesn't count towards your final classification and most people improve if they continue to work hard. My A-levels were not as good as I wanted them to be, I got a 2:1 average in my first year but I worked hard and then got a first in the second and third year and finished with a first. Most people are just finding their feet in the first year. You have plenty of time to work towards what you want to achieve and remember just getting a degree is an achievement. :)

thanks, i appreciate this but my first year is worth 10% of my overall degree, i know it isnt that much but it all does count! and it has been all about finding my feet and working out whats expected from me. just hoping i can improve :)
  • Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard that if you get a first, employers don't want you because they think you've got no social life. They think you just sat down all day reading books which is just pathetic.

If you are lucky and clever enough to get a first yoiu deserve everything that goes with it.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard that if you get a first, employers don't want you because they think you've got no social life. They think you just sat down all day reading books which is just pathetic.

If you are lucky and clever enough to get a first yoiu deserve everything that goes with it.

Yes, you are right — those employers who think that are pathetic. They should be delighted to have people who are that interested in their subject.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Getting a First has nothing to so with luck: just bloody hard work put in consistently over a period of years. And I'd hope by now we'd established that the whole 'employers don't like applicants who have a First' idea is pure, misguided, nonsense. I've never yet met anyone whose life or career prospects were made worse by getting a really excellent degree!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Anyway, name one employer who would value an employee's social life over their ability to work efficiently and effectively.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe that is why so many businesses fail, if they don't want to take on people who are enthusiastic about work.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,415
    Forum Member
    laura:) wrote: »
    I'm in my final year of my degree and I've basically become obsessed with getting a 1st. I've done half of my modules and I'm averaging 73% so far, waiting on one piece of coursework back for one of my modules. But they were my easiest modules, and I was hoping to get higher marks because my next three modules are a lot harder.

I know it's probably irrational, a 2.1 would be fine, but I just really really want a 1st so I can stand out from the rest of the graduates. I worry so much sometimes I can't get to sleep, or I wake up in the middle of the night thinking about it, it's taking over my life. I find it hard to concentrate on things and constantly worry after I've submitted work that it's not going to get +70%.

The problem is my degree is hard, I'm doing biomedical science, so it's major effort to get good marks, I don't think there's anything else I could do to that I haven't already done. I told my parents about my worries and they told me I was being silly and I will stand out because I've got a year in industry plus some awards. But the thing is my A level results were rubbish (due to many things), so I think the reason why I'm so desperate to get a 1st is to prove I'm not an idiot.

I'm not sure what advice I'm looking for really, just venting a bit.

Would it be better to channel your energies and desires to get a good degree instead into practical measures that could help you do as well as you can without unduly worrying about the outcome?

The chances are that we are only using about 1% of the power of our brain. Just imagine the amazing results if we could unlock just a fraction of the power of the remaining 99%. With this definitive, classic operations manual for the brain, you can discover how to revolutionise the way you think and learn, wake up your senses and unleash the hidden power of your mind.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Use-Your-Head-Unleash-Power/dp/1406644277/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329169392&sr=1-1

All the stuff on note taking, revision, efficient studying etc. could be of potential benefit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    I employ a few people as accountancy trainees from university. I personally don't care whether they have a first or a 2 1 (and I even consider a 2 2 sometimes) as long as they went to a top university and did a good degree (I look at both).
  • Alpine_77Alpine_77 Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in my final year of my degree and I've basically become obsessed with getting a 1st. I've done half of my modules and I'm averaging 73% so far, waiting on one piece of coursework back for one of my modules. But they were my easiest modules, and I was hoping to get higher marks because my next three modules are a lot harder.

I know it's probably irrational, a 2.1 would be fine, but I just really really want a 1st so I can stand out from the rest of the graduates. I worry so much sometimes I can't get to sleep, or I wake up in the middle of the night thinking about it, it's taking over my life. I find it hard to concentrate on things and constantly worry after I've submitted work that it's not going to get +70%.

The problem is my degree is hard, I'm doing biomedical science, so it's major effort to get good marks, I don't think there's anything else I could do to that I haven't already done. I told my parents about my worries and they told me I was being silly and I will stand out because I've got a year in industry plus some awards. But the thing is my A level results were rubbish (due to many things), so I think the reason why I'm so desperate to get a 1st is to prove I'm not an idiot.

I'm not sure what advice I'm looking for really, just venting a bit.

One of the stand out things you've mentioned in your thoughts is that you've included your parents in what you're experiencing and it seems you're going to get the right level of support irrespective of what you might or might not achieve.

I wasn't always the 'Bright Spark' when it came to academic work and I never went on to finish my degree. What I will say though is to stay focused and see out the journey.

For me, it's always about my conscience of trying hard. Sure, I'd be disappointed if I didn't succeed, but knowing that I gave it my best shot, in that respect, I'd be proud.

Give it your heart and soul by all means, but what I'd also advise you is not to allow yourself to get swayed into a pressure-cooker type of mindset - that's not good at all.

Keep your life balanced with work and play and I would strongly recommend keeping fit and active. Try and get all the help you need when it comes to coursework and exams and go out there and enjoy it :)

Best Wishes :cool:
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Lol honours are easy to get, you just need to get 40% or more of your course right. You need to get 70%+ to get a first.

In my university a pass is 40-49%, a 2.2 is 50-59%, a 2.1 is 60-69% and a first is 70%+. Is that the same for all universities?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    Yes, you are right — those employers who think that are pathetic. They should be delighted to have people who are that interested in their subject.

If that's not bad enough, I narrowly missed a 2:1 (getting 2:2) and all graduate placements were for people with a 2:1 or above.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have determination, something I don't have!
    Currently in first year which does not count, on a lower end of 2:2 (average of around 52) going to push for a 2:1 next year!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    In my university a pass is 40-49%, a 2.2 is 50-59%, a 2.1 is 60-69% and a first is 70%+. Is that the same for all universities?

Yeah mines the same. Then 20% of year 2 goes towards your final grade.
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No. Some have a threshold of 80% for a First. Not all institutions have the same framework for marks/awards, but details should be available in the university's course handbook.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,286
    Forum Member

That's the same for my university, but you can get a "Starred First" (First Class Honours degree with distinction) in your degree classification if your average marks are at least 70+ (not 69.9%), none of your marks are below 60% and only one mark is allowed to be below 65%, and 8 of the 12 marks overall must be at least 70%.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    You have determination, something I don't have!
    Currently in first year which does not count, on a lower end of 2:2 (average of around 52) going to push for a 2:1 next year!

I had determination but it's got me nowhere.