Options

Remember Me

1212223242527»

Comments

• Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIB I don't think that's correct. She was on the ship back to India when she drowned.

The ship sank just off Scarborough, why would a ship travelling from London to India be near there?
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    The ship sank just off Scarborough, why would a ship travelling from London to India be near there?
    Ships often do (or did) that. India is a long way off, popping just up the English coast to collect more cargo before setting off on the voyage proper is a relatively short hop.
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    The impression I got was that Isha was in London when she heard about Tom's parents dying, so managed to get on a ship which would take her back up to Scarborough. I don't think she was on a ship to India at all.
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only just watched this tonight & I'm sure this has already been mentioned, but it is completely implausible for Tom to be 110 years old :o, anyone that old (and very few people make it to such an advanced age) would be far more decrepit, unlikely to be able to walk & probably not able to communicate much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parker45 wrote: »
    You can say that again! She was the character we were meant to empathise with but she became intensely irritating.

Too much crying.
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    I only just watched this tonight & I'm sure this has already been mentioned, but it is completely implausible for Tom to be 110 years old :o, anyone that old (and very few people make it to such an advanced age) would be far more decrepit, unlikely to be able to walk & probably not able to communicate much.

As it was a ghost story I think it was entirely plausible for him to be 110. When the cards from the queen were discovered nobody seemed incredulous that he was 110.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has any English man lived to 110?
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Has any English man lived to 110?

Yes. Not as many men as women. The current oldest Englishman was born on 30 November 1904, so just makes 110.

The oldest verified Englishman died when he was 111 years 280 days (the days matter when you get that old :D)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seejay63 wrote: »
    Yes. Not as many men as women. The current oldest Englishman was born on 30 November 1904, so just makes 110.

The oldest verified Englishman died when he was 111 years 280 days (the days matter when you get that old :D)

I bet he ended his days in a wheelchair, practically deaf.
  • Options
    BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member

I think he stopped ageing when he was "80-odd" as he kept saying that was his age.

I got the impression that he was physically stuck at that age. There was a line in the last episode where he stated something about being 10 years old and it showed him running his hand through the water and sticking his head out the car window like a child might do. Why his body would stop ageing at 80-odd and not 10, when Isha left him, is not clear though.

I think I'll watch it again at some point to see the things I missed first time round and piece some other things together. I am still a bit confused as to why Ishas ghost wanted to drown Sean.

I really enjoyed the story though. It was great to see Michael Palin on the screen again and just before I start my annual Christmas marathon of his travel shows, too! :D
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    I bet he ended his days in a wheelchair, practically deaf.
    I think he spent some time as music controller at Heart FM in his later years and was last seen playing at left back for Coventry City, shortly after his death. ;-)
  • Options
    DelicateKittenDelicateKitten Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plant wrote: »
    It had the feel of one of those afternoon kid's dramas that BBC used to do when they did kid's programmes on BBC1.

I said exactly the same thing to my partner. It did feel like a kids drama