Celebs who act nice in the spotlight but are horrible in person

Comments

• EmrysEmrys Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    I could contribute loads to this thread.

Met Simon Pegg once at a book signing, and having been to a few of these things where you never really know what to expect, he took time to have an actual conversation with each person.
    It was rather strange and cool talking to him about me and my sister being twins, he was joking about this conspiracy theory he had.
    When I say he spoke to us for a couple of minutes, I'm sure other people who have been to these things will appreciate how rare this is! Sometimes you're lucky to get an eye glance (Noel Fielding barely looked up).

Also Jon Richardson last week was really lovely, was happy to talk for as long as people wanted. Although considering he must get people hanging round stage doors after every gig, he didn't have a pen!

Lee Evans was incredibly humble and quietly spoken. You just wouldn't believe it's the same man. When we took a picture with him he asked to look at it to see if it was ok and in case we needed to take another. Because it was dark, he giggled and said really gently "I like that one, it looks like I've got a tan". :)

Bill Bailey was great fun, he got everyone to do rock star poses for their pictures. :D Although my friends hands were shaking when she took the pic and ours came out blurred. >:(
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's Adrian Chiles like in real life? He comes across as miserable on the television, but I wonder what he's like away from the football.
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have heard from someone that Nigel Slater is a real arsehole

I met Caroline Quentin last year on holiday in Devon. Really warm and chatty person. Called everyone "darling" lol
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I met Caroline Quentin last year on holiday in Devon. Really warm and chatty person. Called everyone "darling" lol

Lovely to hear as I like her.:)
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lovely to hear as I like her.:)
    Her and her husband live in Devon now . They also iirc have a place in Cornwall. My dad kind of knows them as they have a boat in the boat yard he works at (ok now it sounds like I'm showing off lol)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Out of all the people I have ever met I am going to do the good and the bad -

The Good

Nerina Pallot - lovely and charming, but is very good at taking the piss out of people without them realising. I could understand if some people think she can be snide.

Lucie Silvas - absolutely adorable and lovely lady.

Sharon Davies - lovely and charming.

Frank Skinner - really energetic and charming and friendly.

James Dreyfus - very friendly and chatty.

Simon Callow - friendly and charming.

Gina Yashere - lovely and really funny, as you might expect.

Mel & Sue - both very lovely.

Jann Arden (you probably won't of heard of her but she's a Canadian singer) - extremely funny and cheerful and happy to meet her fans.

Sarah McLachlan - literally the same as above.

Lisa Scott-Lee - seems nice enough, but I could understand if some people found her a bit 'cold'.

Alanis Morissette - really funny and is very warm and smiley.

The Bad

The guy that plays Charlie in Casualty (forget his real name) - absolute b*stard! I served him on more than one occasion when I was working in Boots in Bristol. Vile man; very bad tempered and was always immediately rude to anyone who recognised him!

Nadia Sawalha - polite, but not the most approachable.

Amanda Holden - again, polite - but didn't really seem to have any sincerity about her.
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andyh81 wrote: »
    Nadia Sawalha - polite, but not the most approachable.

Amanda Holden - again, polite - but didn't really seem to have any sincerity about her.

Nadia surprises me I follow her on twitter and she seems genuine as hell of course that is just a social media outlook.

Amanda doesn't surprise me at all I feel her insincerity every time I see her onscreen.
    Forum Member
    Luner13 wrote: »
    Nadia surprises me I follow her on twitter and she seems genuine as hell of course that is just a social media outlook.

Amanda doesn't surprise me at all I feel her insincerity every time I see her onscreen.

^^ RE: Nadia - maybe she was having an off day. I served her where I worked. She wasn't rude or unpleasant, she just didn't really seem like she was in the mood to deal with anyone... but maybe it was just that particular day.
    Forum Member
    Oh, and I forgot about Jack Dee - the miserable arse thing is not an act.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The guy that plays Charlie in Casualty (forget his real name) - absolute b*stard! I served him on more than one occasion when I was working in Boots in Bristol. Vile man; very bad tempered and was always immediately rude to anyone who recognised him!

Derek Something... Such an attitude for someone who's played the same wooden character for 30 years! It's not the first I've heard of him being nasty. Wasn't he arrested for being abusive a few years ago?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Derek Something... Such an attitude for someone who's played the same wooden character for 30 years! It's not the first I've heard of him being nasty. Wasn't he arrested for being abusive a few years ago?

Derek Thompson.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Derek Thompson.

That's him!
    DRUNKEN Casualty star Derek Thompson was arrested after being booted out of a curry house, it was revealed yesterday. The popular actor, who plays nurse Charlie Fairhead, launched a four-letter tirade in the restaurant before locking a taxi driver out of his cab. Police arrested him for being drunk and disorderly and threw him in a cell for the night. He was released next day without charge.

Restaurant owner Shahid Farooq said last night: "He kept saying 'f***ing hell.'
    "I tried to talk to him, but he became abusive, so I called the police." Staff ejected Thompson from the Bristol eaterie and put him in a taxi. But the star tried to grab the steering wheel as he was driven along. The driver got out to eject him, but Thompson, 52, locked him out.

Police then arrived and arrested the actor. His agent refused to comment.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Casualty+star+gets+plastered.-a068903554
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jools Holland: Arsehole.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Derek Thompson.
    No idea what the bloke is like in real life - but he's one dreadful actor! It always looks like he's reading his lines off little post-it notes that the production crew have left around for him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No idea what the bloke is like in real life - but he's one dreadful actor! It always looks like he's reading his lines off little post-it notes that the production crew have left around for him.

I agree! So wooden, the make-up people varnish him before a scene...
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He sounds completely different to his mild mannered TV character.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Emrys wrote: »
    I could contribute loads to this thread.

Met Simon Pegg once at a book signing, and having been to a few of these things where you never really know what to expect, he took time to have an actual conversation with each person.
    It was rather strange and cool talking to him about me and my sister being twins, he was joking about this conspiracy theory he had.
    When I say he spoke to us for a couple of minutes, I'm sure other people who have been to these things will appreciate how rare this is! Sometimes you're lucky to get an eye glance (Noel Fielding barely looked up).

Also Jon Richardson last week was really lovely, was happy to talk for as long as people wanted. Although considering he must get people hanging round stage doors after every gig, he didn't have a pen!

Lee Evans was incredibly humble and quietly spoken. You just wouldn't believe it's the same man. When we took a picture with him he asked to look at it to see if it was ok and in case we needed to take another. Because it was dark, he giggled and said really gently "I like that one, it looks like I've got a tan". :)

Bill Bailey was great fun, he got everyone to do rock star poses for their pictures. :D Although my friends hands were shaking when she took the pic and ours came out blurred. >:(

Glad to hear about Simon Pegg. I think he's excellent. He's a class act and I'd love to meet him for myself some day.
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »
    Jools Holland: Arsehole.

Could you elaborate?! I've never taken to him at all when I've seen him on TV and often wondered if that was just me but ....
  • dofferdoffer Posts: 2,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucie Silvas - absolutely adorable and lovely lady.

Pleased to hear that about Lucie :cool:
    Forum Member

No idea... but I can tell you I'd have happily punched him if it weren't for my job!
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hope he serves you in a shop, one day, & you say, 'Didn't you used to try and act? Forget your name as you didn't do much!':D
  • nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I bumped into her years ago in Soho. She'd just come out of her apartment building and collided with me. I looked at her and said "Oh hiya" thinking I knew her then it dawned on me I only knew her from the telly :D. She laughed about it and seemed really nice
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No idea... but I can tell you I'd have happily punched him if it weren't for my job!

Ha ha! Was there any smell of booze though? See my post further up! :D
  • daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, politeness costs nothing if you are prepared for it. Alot of them are relaxing, getting on with their lives, and a complete stranger who thinks they know them because they are on the TV barges in.

I can see why some get annoyed.
    Yes .. I don't think we can categorically say that anyone's horrid just because they didn't feel like chatting or signing an autograph etc. We all of us have off days and days when we want to kill everyone.
    Someone mentioned Dawn French earlier and I know it's a topic she addressed in her biog. I think she is very happy to chat etc most of the time but 'fans' have spoiled many a private time for her ... dinners out with loved ones and sports day with her daughter when she just wanted to be mum. I don't think those of us who aren't famous would appreciate being interrupted every five mins when we're out and about.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    Could you elaborate?! I've never taken to him at all when I've seen him on TV and often wondered if that was just me but ....

One of my ex girlfriends is a singer who did his show and said he acted like a jerk to everyone. I went to the filming of one the Hootenannys years ago and saw him acting like a tit to all of the crew (it was the one when Huey from FLC was doing Fly Me To The Moon and so on). I know one of the camera men on his show who also hates him. He just seems like a truly horrible person.