no meal on 4 hour flight ??

2»

Comments

• Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    You can always get a snack at the airport before boarding and one at the airport on arrival.

Yes I could ,. I could also take my snack with me on board , I cant see the problem with it at all .I usually am not in form to eat at 6am , but by 10 am am a bit peckish . I quietly unwrap my snack and its not a big deal at all .
    I would prefare to eat at a resonable hour and not at 5am or 6 am .
  • Options
    RosieRayRosieRay Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    orchover wrote: »
    Thomson have changed their catering recently. Its pizza, chips, and hot bacon rolls to buy on board now instead of the prebookable hot meals.
    I flew back from Tenerife yesterday and agree - a four hour Thomson flight and they have ditched all inflight meals that are pre-bookable AND their in flight "entertainment". We had a big lunch at the airport and made rolls to eat on the plane.
    The pizza, rolls and wraps available to purchase were awful and far worse than the old in flight meals - which also used to come with a drink. They ran out of tea and coffee and juice. I know they weren't to everyone's taste but the new option is more expensive overall and worse.
  • Options
    MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably get slated for this but oh well.

What is it with people these days who can not seem to think for themselves? I mean come on, read the original post again, do you really need advice on what to do? And it's not just this thread, it's various ones in the advice thread asking advice for the most silliest things. Seems baffaling how these people make it through day to day life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only person that actually enjoyed airline food in the good old days when it was free?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    Am I the only person that actually enjoyed airline food in the good old days when it was free?!

I did !! Back in the day when you would dress up for a flight and clap when they landed and it all seemed glamorous and cost an arm and a leg !!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mythica wrote: »

What is it with people these days who can not seem to think for themselves? I mean come on, read the original post again, do you really need advice on what to do? And it's not just this thread, it's various ones in the advice thread asking advice for the most silliest things. Seems baffaling how these people make it through day to day life.

Better than endless knicker or toilet posts, which seem to attract all the same posters like flies to cowshite

The Op here asked for advice as she wasnt sure what is allowed . I cant seea problem with that to be honest

:yawn:
  • Options
    RosieRayRosieRay Posts: 185
    Forum Member

I see what you mean but it is not always straightforward. I had to think twice about whether or not we could bring our own food and if there was a restriction. We were allowed to bring drinks through security on the way home but not the way out. Not all food outlets at the airport are open if you fly early and the provision of food is variable.
    It's not always so obvious...Some might see spelling and grammar as a basic requirement for getting through life :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take your own sandwiches or buy some snacks at the airport. Don't take fast food on, I can't see that going down well with staff or other passengers.

Airline food is generally disgusting anyway :)
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unigal07 wrote: »
    Take your own sandwiches or buy some snacks at the airport. Don't take fast food on, I can't see that going down well with staff or other passengers.

Airline food is generally disgusting anyway :)

I don't find that at all but then again I rarely fly budget airlines.
  • Options
    shortyknickersshortyknickers Posts: 2,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ooh no, I loved it too, always ate every single scrap, it was ace, all in its separate little compartments, it took longer to unwarap everything than it did to eat it :D
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

It's personal experiences that are so valued on these type of threads.

Sure you can get the 'official' line on most things, but there's nothing like getting other posters experiences of a certain topic. :)

Back on topic, I used to love airline meals. It killed an hour or so on an otherwise boring flight.
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    I don't find that at all but then again I rarely fly budget airlines.

Oh how very nice for you.

FWIW I've only flown with Thomas Cook and First Choice before. Not exactly Ryanair or Easyjet.
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Thomson don't do in flight meals on short haul flights anymore.
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, I used to go to Malta on holiday and Air Malta food was always good, and some of the charter holidays airlines (that now don't provide food) weren't bad either. Some of the long-haul carriers still provide decent food - Singapore Airlines are great, Air New Zealand are pretty good and Air Canada weren't bad at all when I flew with them recently. I was disappointed with BA short-haul though, it was better than budget airlines because the drink and snack was free, but the snack was a very tiny biscuit or pretzel, compared to the large bag of pretzels I got on Air Canada short-haul!

It does make a difference compared to budget airlines, but at the end of the day I usually fly whoever's cheapest unless it's Ryanair.
  • Options
    slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    was on a Thompson flight not so long ago and just took some sarnies and crisps on that I bought at boots with a couple of bottles of water, on the flight home I had sarnies that I bought at a supermarket next to my hotel

will do the same with my flight to crete next month
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unigal07 wrote: »
    Oh how very nice for you.

FWIW I've only flown with Thomas Cook and First Choice before. Not exactly Ryanair or Easyjet.

I rarely fly budget because most of my flights are long haul or company business. Nothing against budget airlines but I haven't had the opportunity to sample their food.
  • Options
    BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    Gneiss wrote: »
    I consider that lucky, I've yet to discover an in-flight meal that would be fit for our rats let alone human consumption. I actually object to having the price included in the flight when the only edible part if you are lucky is a bread roll...

Beside which I can't believe someone can't go four hours without having to eat.

Who have you been flying with? The meals aren't great but they're not as bad as you state.
  • Options
    BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    If you have an 8am flight you might have left your house at 5am . Then fly till 12 md and an onward journey .I would like to have something between 5am and maybe 1pm or later .So its not just 4 hours , its far more when you factor it all in .

Earlier than that for a lot of people. If you're not lucky enough to live near an airport you can travel for hours.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I consider that lucky, I've yet to discover an in-flight meal that would be fit for our rats let alone human consumption. I actually object to having the price included in the flight when the only edible part if you are lucky is a bread roll...

You'll find plenty of those who can't go without in cinemas and that's only a couple of hours.
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    It's personal experiences that are so valued on these type of threads.

Sure you can get the 'official' line on most things, but there's nothing like getting other posters experiences of a certain topic. :)

Back on topic, I used to love airline meals. It killed an hour or so on an otherwise boring flight.

BIB exactly what I wanted, especially the warnings about the food now available on board - thanks. Will defintely go prepared.

Re the airline meals, tbh I've always enjoyed them. Not cordon bleu obviously, but novelty value definitely. I imagine they'd get pretty tedious if yo were flying often, however.

Anyhow, thanks for all the tips:)
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

When we went to Tunisia in November we went for a meal in the airport, as we didn't get meals on the plane. Said plane was then delayed 2 hours, once we got on, it was delayed another hour for a medical emergency, then when we got off long waiting about, then long transfer to hotel, so that 4 hours we had to go without eating turned into 11 hours, as we got to hotel at 1am. And we had our meal at 2pm.

My travel agent also told me they are doing away with meals on planes from 2012, only on long haul will you get something now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll find plenty of those who can't go without in cinemas and that's only a couple of hours.

Yeah, what the hell is that about, those people fascinate me.