Options

Arne Dahl BBC4 6th April NO SPOILERS!!!

Comments

• Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty standard fare.
    If you are one of top 6 detectives in Sweden, why would you go wandering around Tallin by yourself with no one knowing where you are, to pursue a member of a dangerous gang? Didn't make any sense.
    Have to say Doghouse's earlier comment about round up the cliche's is looking apt at the moment. Hope it improves.
  • Options
    Dirty RoosterDirty Rooster Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The dart looked weird to me : the point was too long and thick for a 'Darts' dart, wasn;t it? Maybe.

Best character is the snappish boss woman. Although ... dirty dozen, magnificent seven cliche stick in the throat a bit.

From what we've seen they're all a bunch of halfwit incompetents ... worst bit was the staking out the house gang : all wandering infront of windows, wandering the garden without night vision, talking etc etc. Luckily the real killer didn't turn up of we'd have had a very short series.
  • Options
    nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Could the dart be for a crossbow? Perhaps the sort held in one hand?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    Overnight ratings for The Blinded Man Part One were 726,000 which is 34% up on the slot average over the last three months

Source - Guardian
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What the society that the bankers belonged to believed in

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothicism
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's interesting; I thought they were some kind of Freemasons.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nomad2king wrote: »
    Could the dart be for a crossbow? Perhaps the sort held in one hand?

Like this you mean?
    http://simage1.sportsmansguide.com/adimgs/l/2/209854m2_ts.jpg

I was going to link to the ep on iPlayer. But for some reason it won't work for me. Maybe someone(Chloe) can get a screen grab of the dart and we can compare. Crossbow bolts seem to all follow the same kind of shape.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was that magic board-wipe all about??!?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    What was that magic board-wipe all about??!?!

Chavez had a dream?
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But could he have dreamed that the cleaner asked him if it was o.k. to clean the board and he wasn't paying attention and said yes, then realised what he meant? I'm not sure if it's possible to have something happen in a dream that you're not paying attention to?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    But could he have dreamed that the cleaner asked him if it was o.k. to clean the board and he wasn't paying attention and said yes, then realised what he meant? I'm not sure if it's possible to have something happen in a dream that you're not paying attention to?

It is if Chavez' subconscious was from a third person perspective watching himself and the cleaner in the office. Don't you ever have dreams like that. Where you are watching yourself do things in your dream world. Or are all your dreams from the first person point of view.

Lot's of interesting discussion out there about first and third person dreaming. Some people say they never dream third person. Or it's connected to your dream state. REM or nREM.

All depends if it was a dream or not. Chavez could have had a dodgy burger.
  • Options
    Forget-me-notForget-me-not Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Pretty standard fare.
    If you are one of top 6 detectives in Sweden, why would you go wandering around Tallin by yourself with no one knowing where you are, to pursue a member of a dangerous gang? Didn't make any sense.
    Have to say Doghouse's earlier comment about round up the cliche's is looking apt at the moment. Hope it improves.

Yes it was pretty stupid, I presume that he was trying to prove something after having been previously not been considered fit for action.

The bit at the end whe he was crucfied while the big detective was singing from Mozart's requiem with a church choir was very Morse like.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    That's interesting; I thought they were some kind of Freemasons.

They probably used it to make deals just like the Masons do
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it was pretty stupid, I presume that he was trying to prove something after having been previously not been considered fit for action.

That's what I thought. A really dumb thing to do but I think he was miffed about being left out of "active duty" previously so decided to play Action Man. He was only following the guy and wasn't expecting the whole gang to turn up.

I quite enjoyed it but it's not as intense as other Scandi dramas. I'll keep watching, though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched the dream sequence again. One thing I did notice. There's a list of companies the murdered financiers all had interests in on the big board. One company is Sydbanken. The bank where Nikolai was darted is a Sydbanken branch I think. BBC iPlayer still down for me so can't check.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Sorry if this has been mentioned but I've only just finished watching the first episode. Is anyone else finding the background music choices really jarring? Like the strange country/cowboy music whenever the fat guy with the mustache is on screen?

That's not the only thing that's annoying me, but I've never noticed background music so much before, so it's obviously doing something wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    I assumed he was dead when we saw him nailed to the wall. That could be a bit previous. Thinking about it now. Never mind. We'll find out next week.

I don't think he's dead. Probably just passed out from the shock/blood loss. Obviously the visual (cliched) imagery was the important thing to take away from that scene...
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    That's what I thought. A really dumb thing to do but I think he was miffed about being left out of "active duty" previously so decided to play Action Man. He was only following the guy and wasn't expecting the whole gang to turn up.

I quite enjoyed it but it's not as intense as other Scandi dramas. I'll keep watching, though.

No he wasn't expecting the whole gang to turn up, but he didn't know what may happen; he should've been prepared for anything. It was a stupid thing to do but perhaps that's why he was sidelined initially.

I enjoyed it though.
    Chavez had a dream?

I didn't realise he'd dreamt that :confused: Must be my age :rolleyes:
    Watched the dream sequence again. One thing I did notice. There's a list of companies the murdered financiers all had interests in on the big board. One company is Sydbanken. The bank where Nikolai was darted is a Sydbanken branch I think. BBC iPlayer still down for me so can't check.

I recorded it and only watched it tonight. I've just checked and it was a Sydbanken.
    Sorry if this has been mentioned but I've only just finished watching the first episode. Is anyone else finding the background music choices really jarring? Like the strange country/cowboy music whenever the fat guy with the mustache is on screen?

That's not the only thing that's annoying me, but I've never noticed background music so much before, so it's obviously doing something wrong.

That's odd I only noticed the music right at the beginning and never noticed it at all after that. Sometimes you can't block some sounds out once they become obvious though :(

I thought Hjelm had really got the guy who'd killed the financiers so it was going to be a different sub plot each week with the story about the Russian gangsters ongoing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    I'm not a fan of constant songs , magic realism or really bright lighting but it was involving enough to watch again. It's not up there with The Killing or mighty Spiral but not all BBC4 imports are equal . I liked Inspector Montalbano at first but once I could guess the exact moment the latest young , pretty girl threw herself at him I lost interest .
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Hjelm had really got the guy who'd killed the financiers so it was going to be a different sub plot each week with the story about the Russian gangsters ongoing.

Tomorrow's ep is 2/2. Next week a different book is adapted; that will also be over two episodes....and so on.

And yes I have noticed the annoying country music.
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    As a total aside, Jenny's kecks were atrocious!
    :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recorded it and only watched it tonight. I've just checked and it was a Sydbanken.

Yep. The team is checking each of the companies. 2 have been crossed off so far. So they will be checking Sydbanken soon. I wonder if Sydbankern are the Swedish equivalent of Barclays? In a PPI/mis selling of interest rate products kind of way.
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm looking forward to this tonight again!

Though having trouble remembering all of last weeks :D

I'm sure it'll all come flooding back
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    Pretty standard fare.

I guess Detective Norlander wanted to prove that he was capable of competently undertaking an in the field surveillance operation which, shall we say, backfired a little bit. The least he should have done is informed his Estonian colleagues (in English) what he was about to do. The dumbest thing to have done was fallen for the leaving trick - he should have waited hours if not until night before he moved out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    scotch wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to this tonight again!

Though having trouble remembering all of last weeks :D

I'm sure it'll all come flooding back

There's a recap at the beginning. When these were screened in Sweden, they were screened on two consecutive nights - 27 and 28 Dec 2011.