Making steamed puddings in a pressure cooker

njpnjp Posts: 27,583
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A good idea, or not?

I occasionally make a steamed pudding in the conventional fashion. The recipe calls for 2 hours of steaming.

I thought I could speed this up using a pressure cooker, but my first attempt has been rather... heavy. More like one of those tinned puddings. Now presumably this is down to the pressure stopping the bubbles forming properly. I was aware this might happen, so I pre-steamed for 15 minutes (vent open), and then did another 45 minutes at pressure, releasing slowly at the end. Both timings were pure guesswork.

I'm going to try again using the lower pressure setting, but has anyone got any tips, even if it's "Don't bother!"?

Comments

• GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of recipies I've just looked at, basic sponge and suet types, recommend cooking for just 25 mins at low pressure and cooling slowly at room temperature. Heavy fruit puddings require the 45 mins.
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that. I'll try reducing both the time and the pressure, and see what happens. Did those recipes call for pre-steaming?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    njp wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I'll try reducing both the time and the pressure, and see what happens. Did those recipes call for pre-steaming?

yes sorry, 20 mins steam then 25 mins at low pressure. I just found the page with adapting times and as you say for a conventionally cooked recipie of 2 hrs equates to about 50 mins at low pressure with the 20 mins steaming. I think the Key point to keeping the pudding light is to ensure you release the pressure as slowly as possible, which of course is to leave to cool at room temp. Good luck let us know how you get on. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, excellent. I'll report back when I make my next attempt!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right. Second attempt. I pre-steamed for 25 mins and then low pressure for 30 mins, followed by slow pressure release. Perfect results!

I think I could reduce the overall time a bit more, so I may try that next time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    njp wrote: »
    Perfect results!

Good stuff !! :D Thanks for the follow up. ;)