Options

Question about Clara

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 555
Forum Member
✭✭
In the name of the doctor, when the doctor and Clara were in his tomb, she was remembering some of her past experiences with him. For instance she said she remembered climbing through a wreckage of the TARDIS before (Journey to the centre of the TARDIS) and that he had told her that he'd met other versions of her that had died. However the Doctor told her that she shouldn't remember any of these things. I don't understand why she shouldn't? I get that she shouldn't be able to remember things that her Echo's have done like Victorian Clara or Asylum Clara, but Journey to the centere of the TARDIS is something she did as herself, so why shouldn't she be able to remember it?

Comments

• Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When the Big Friendly Button reset the whole incident, it was erased from Clara's past so she lost the memory of it. Presumably the memories only 'leaked' back in later because she found herself back down in the bowels of the damaged TARDIS, which contained the alternative timeline.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Yeah, the events didn't happen. It's always a bit vague, the last explanation we got was that time travellers remember changes to the timeline that don't directly affect them (when the soldiers in Flesh and Stone disappeared, Amy could still remember them), but not if it rewrites your own history (Amy couldn't remember Rory). However, after Big Bang 2, Rory could remember being plastic, so that must be a special case.

But yes, the wound in time that is the Doctor's timeline connected to every time that he'd ripped his way through space time, so I guess a big chunk of reset time would definitely be part of that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When the Big Friendly Button reset the whole incident, it was erased from Clara's past so she lost the memory of it. Presumably the memories only 'leaked' back in later because she found herself back down in the bowels of the damaged TARDIS, which contained the alternative timeline.

Ahh yes of course thank you, I completely forgot about the big friendly button! Makes sense now.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I thought something similar. Those memories were reset yet because of where she was she was remembering bits and pieces of them.
    Any reason why she couldn't remember reading the doctors name?
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I thought something similar. Those memories were reset yet because of where she was she was remembering bits and pieces of them.
    Any reason why she couldn't remember reading the doctors name?

I was sort of expecting her to remember that as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe she does, or maybe River saying the name at the tomb rejogged her memory, but as the Doctor says, it's the name he's chosen that's like a promise and not his real name.