New Pink Floyd

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something epic for one last gig.
    All for charity and one of the biggest spectacular shows ever, somewhere unusual, to say thank you and goodbye.
    Not a festival, something specifically theirs.
    Pyramids? (although that's been done - Grateful Dead).
    Snowdon?
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont hear it being classed as a "poor" album by many :D

Indeed not "The Final Cut" is one of my most played Pink Floyd CDs.:)
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Endless River is apparently the most preordered album in Amazon UK's history, so there is clearly demand to hear it.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/pink-floyd-endless-river-pre-order/
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    The Endless River is apparently the most preordered album in Amazon UK's history, so there is clearly demand to hear it.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/pink-floyd-endless-river-pre-order/

It was mentioned earlier that it was on the way to do that, and is fantastic to see such a huge interest still remains in Pink Floyd.

Imagine what would happen if they ever released new material, and with Waters? :D
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was mentioned earlier that it was on the way to do that, and is fantastic to see such a huge interest still remains in Pink Floyd.

Imagine what would happen if they ever released new material, and with Waters? :D

Rog and Dave have solo albums due out next year so it won't happen anytime soon, or at all.

Gilmour is on Jools Holland's show later tonight (not performing).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Rog and Dave have solo albums due out next year so it won't happen anytime soon, or at all.

Gilmour is on Jools Holland's show later tonight (not performing).

No, I see no chance at all of anything new from Pink Floyd.
  • BanziBabyBanziBaby Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to hearing this despite the fact I thought that A Momentary Lapse Of Reason & The Division Bell were the weakest Floyd albums, sorry but Dave's wife can't write lyrics to save herself.

I love all the versions of Floyd, The Syd Barrett stuff was psychedelic pop that was weird & wonderful, the albums after to just before DSOTM were the band trying to find another direction. The Waters Floyd era is my favourite as they guy was a genius at writing psychological lyrics & I loved the concepts he came up with, I have always said The Wall was the album that pretty much described how I felt as a teenager. The Gilmour era was great musically but the lyrics were naff.

I was lucky to see them 3 times, Saw the Momentary Lapse of reason tour, then the Division Bell tour & was also lucky enough to see then at Live 8. They won't be touring for the new album & Gilmour has stated numerous times this is the last Pink Floyd album & it is purely a tribute to Rick Wright who to me was always one of the most underrated piano & keyboard players.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just listened to it on spotify, Louder Than Words is a bit meandering but I like a lot of it up till that point. It's not as much like The Division Bell as I anticipated
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i thought it was pretty good, and it was pretty much as i expected. it's all instrumental except the last track. it starts off with a shine on style track with parts of welcome to the machine, and other tracks have elements of saucerful of secrets, us and them, run like hell and signs of life. other artists have tried to recreate the sound of their succesful popular records from decades before and the end result ends up way off the mark but i think this works well as it's instrumental

nice guitars from dave, and it's got an overall chill out vibe. i think the post roger floyd works better as instrumentals without yoko ono's lyrics
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arrived in the post 10 minutes ago so I'm listening to it for the first time. I'll reserve my judgement until I have played it a few times as a lot of Floyd tracks are growers.
  • chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've enjoyed it but not sure I would have it on very often. As others have said, there are parts of this that hark back to the 60s and parts very reminiscent of The Wall and The Division Bell.

There are some extra tracks on Spotfiy and I found Nervana to be the best of all including the main album.

edited to add that those extra tracks are apparently on the deluxe edition
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's best not to regard this as a 'new' Floyd album at all, because technically it isn't really.

That's not meant as a disparaging comment, it's just that when some people hear 'new Floyd album' their expectations are raised, and they hold out for something fresh, innovative, and even mind-blowing.

But surely those who will buy this album must know what it is and what to expect from it.

It's essentially a last hurrah, a goodbye. And primarily a tribute to Richard Wright. Listening to it now, and it's also obvious it's a kind of nostalgic farewell, with many tracks harking back to various era's of the bands career, and signature albums.

And I really don't want to see the guys being forced or persuaded to go out and tour, when it's clear that they want to draw a line under the bands career, and move on to other things.

Besides, with just two original members left now it would not be the same. The 1994 concerts were perfect for me, and I am happy to have seen them back then.

For me the bands career has come to a logical end, we have been given a decent little send off with the latest album, but I think we should leave it there...a natural end.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And I really don't want to see the guys being forced or persuaded to go out and tour, when it's clear that they want to draw a line under the bands career, and move on to other things.

Besides, with just two original members left now it would not be the same. The 1994 concerts were perfect for me, and I am happy to have seen them back then.

For me the bands career has come to a logical end, we have been given a decent little send off with the latest album, but I think we should leave it there...a natural end.

Both David Gilmore and Nick Mason have said that won't happen.
  • denial_orstupiddenial_orstupid Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just heard the new album on Spotify , kinda wish i hadn't , its awful , reminded me of the crap they play to you while you are waiting on the phone to speak to the utilities company.
    Its evident that it was all done years ago and its just cast off`s they didn't use on other albums.

Love Floyd but i wont be listening to this one again ! 3/10
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the amount of advertising they had given it, i was hoping for something better than what i would regard as snippets, but my money is spent now
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They sold 76 thousand copies of it in the UK on Monday (with pre orders) so it's job done in that regard.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure what expectations people had about this. it was clear what the album consisted of, and I would have thought most people would realise that.
  • denial_orstupiddenial_orstupid Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure what expectations people had about this. it was clear what the album consisted of, and I would have thought most people would realise that.

I should have expected it to be a load of rubbish - I wouldn't be disappointed then !
  • BanziBabyBanziBaby Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    I knew it wasn't going to be a full fledged Floyd album & was mostly out-takes but a lot of the tracks seem to be under 2 mins each, some you can tell ended up as songs on Division Bell as there are a couple that sound very much like Wearing The Inside Out.

Sadly I get the same feeling from this album that I did from Gilmour's On a Island in that it sounds more like elevator music, not something you listen too but is just there in the background.

There are a few good tracks though but those mostly reference the past. Just expected there to be a bit more meat on it's bones as they say.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    Just listened to it on spotify, Louder Than Words is a bit meandering but I like a lot of it up till that point. It's not as much like The Division Bell as I anticipated

After dismissing it initially, I was tempted to give it a listen, and was pleasantly surprised as to how good some of the the tunes were. Others, as has been said, were more like elevator music and sub-standard for such a great band. The biggest problem for me is that if this is the last ever Pink Floyd recording, why the hell couldn't anyone take the time to write some lyrics? On most of the 'songs' I found myself waiting for the other half to arrive, (the words) and by the end I was still waiting.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Last night I listened to it for the third time and am now liking it a lot more than I originally did. I would have preferred longer tracks though and some lyrics. A friend came in when I was listening and asked if it was "one of those self hypnosis CDs"
  • rokaroka Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Had it a couple of days now and played the hell out of it ... and I love it. Typical Floyd with essences of and nods to all eras.
    Well happy with it. :)
  • WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really, really like it. I love instrumental music anyway so that probably helps a great deal in terms of finding an instant connection to this album.

I've played it a couple of times and am very impressed. It's classic PF in my opinion, and that's only a good thing as far as I'm concerned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.officialcharts.com/albums-chart/

Straight into the charts at Number One. Well done to the old boys. Imagine the impact of an actual new album, with Waters involved. Not that it will ever happen, but this shows just what a big name they still are.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No need for another best of album to include anything from this. Glad to have it though.