Options

Could a number of teams contend for the one realistic champions league place

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Orchideam wrote: »
    The In Contention games left to play for are as follows:-

I have not included Southampton as they appear to be struggling just now with only 1 win in 5.

Now, without bias or prejudice, what do you see the results being on these remaining matches?

Chelsea 60 points, GIH
    Chelsea v Man United - Draw
    Chelsea v Liverpool - Chelsea win
    Arsenal v Chelsea - Draw

65 points from 29 matches adding in these.

Manchester City 55 points
    Man United v Man City - Man City win
    Spurs v Man City - Man City win

61 points from 29 matches.

Arsenal 51 points
    Man United v Arsenal - Arsenal lose
    Arsenal v Liverpool - Draw
    Arsenal v Chelsea - Draw

53 points from 30 matches.

Manchester United 50 points
    Man United v Spurs - Man United win
    Liverpool v Man United - Draw
    Man United v Arsenal - Man United win
    Man United v Man City - Man United lose

58 points from 32 matches.

Liverpool 48 points
    Chelsea v Liverpool - Liverpool lose

50 points from 30 matches.

Spurs 44 points, GIH
    Man United v Spurs - Spurs lose
    Spurs v Man City - Spurs lose

44 points from 28 matches.

On these predictions it is still looking quite good for my season long prediction of Man United and Arsenal joining Chelsea and Man City in the top 4. But I could certainly see for instance Liverpool doing better than I have gone for and Man United worse. That's quite a number of big games for Man United and that early Liverpool vs Man United game could be very important and although I have gone for a draw, if there is a winner in that match I'd make it more likely Liverpool. To me, certainly looking a 3 way battle between Arsenal, Man United and Liverpool.

That said, I am not sure about leaving Southampton out. Yes, they are on a poor run, but they had a poor run before with 5 defeats ( I think it was ) and came back. I'd agree that they are fair outsiders now, but on points they are still in there.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    Southampton haven't got a chance now, it is right to leave them out.
  • Options
    NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member
    Surely if you leave Southampton out, you should leave Spuds out too. They're 2 points behind them regardless of Saints' form.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    indiana44 wrote: »
    Man United v Spurs - Man United win
    Man United v Arsenal - Man United win
    Man United v Man City - Man United lose

That is very ambitious given how much United are struggling to put any sort of form together, especially away from home.

If Spurs beat them I can honestly see them losing all 5 as Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and City are better sides playing better football.
  • Options
    OrchideamOrchideam Posts: 5,487
    Forum Member
    Surely if you leave Southampton out, you should leave Spuds out too. They're 2 points behind them regardless of Saints' form.

Kind of agree. However, it was always the Top 7 at one time, with the 6 above and Everton being the 7th, they are well off the beam this season. If Southampton do pick up then they can be added into the mix.

I was hoping more would be up for the predictions - it would be interesting to see who comes closest to correct in the end. (So far Indiana44 has it all sewn up!)
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Southampton haven't got a chance now, it is right to leave them out.
    Those saying Southampton look like being a bit wide of the mark.
    For top 4? Not a chance.

LOL what is your issue with sotuhampton? I mean we get it, you dont think they will make it. I think most have them as underdogs and not favourites for it. but they are currently 5th and clearly have a chance. Any predictions really not that wide of the mark at all right now and we are in march.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    doinkers wrote: »
    That is very ambitious given how much United are struggling to put any sort of form together, especially away from home.

If Spurs beat them I can honestly see them losing all 5 as Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and City are better sides playing better football.

We shall see, my friend.

I actually slightly surprised myself that I had Man United getting relatively well through these fixtures. And while clearly folk will differ, I just went with my feelings for each fixture and 2 wins, 2 draws and a defeat against the top sides from 3 home matches and 2 away is hardly spectacularly optimistic about them. I'd suggest that seeing them losing all 5 if they lose to Spurs roundly beats that on the alternative pessimistic scale.

And at the beginning of March we have United still right in there with some of these "better sides playing better football". It would appear that they are not bad at getting results.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »
    LOL what is your issue with sotuhampton? I mean we get it, you dont think they will make it. I think most have them as underdogs and not favourites for it. but they are currently 5th and clearly have a chance. Any predictions really not that wide of the mark at all right now and we are in march.

Nothing against them, I'm just realistic. I've already made a lot of money on them not making the top 4.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What makes you say for example a team like Liverpool, who are below us, and who we beat 3-0 in our previous encounter are better than us??
    On what basis do you say such a thing??

The playing better football, I can understand, but you don't gain bonus points for such a thing, so that is completely irrelevant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Chelsea 60 points, GIH
    Chelsea v Man United - Chelsea
    Chelsea v Liverpool - Chelsea
    Arsenal v Chelsea - Draw

Manchester City 55 points
    Man United v Man City - Draw
    Spurs v Man City - Man City

Arsenal 51 points
    Man United v Arsenal - Draw
    Arsenal v Chelsea - Draw

Manchester United 50 points
    Man United v Spurs - Man Utd
    Liverpool v Man United - Liverpool
    Chelsea v Man United - Chelsea
    Man United v Arsenal - Draw
    Man United v Man City - Draw

Liverpool 48 points
    Liverpool v Man United - Liverpool
    Chelsea v Liverpool - Chelsea

Spurs 44 points, GIH
    Man United v Spurs - Man Utd
    Spurs v Man City - Man City
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nothing against them, I'm just realistic. I've already made a lot of money on them not making the top 4.

Bookies paid out early when Southampton are 4 points out of 4th place with 11 matches to go?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bookies paid out early when Southampton are 4 points out of 4th place with 11 matches to go?

Did I say that? No i didn't.

If only there was a website where you could act as the bookie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What makes you say for example a team like Liverpool, who are below us, and who we beat 3-0 in our previous encounter are better than us??

The playing better football, I can understand, but you don't gain bonus points for such a thing, so that is completely irrelevant.

I'd say the result of the previous encounter is as irrelevant as who is playing better football right now. Otherwise you could argue MK Dons are better than United or Bradford are better than Chelsea. And incase you want to argue that United weren't full strength against MK Dons, Liverpool weren't full strength against united. Neither team is even playing the same system anymore.

I'm basing it on the fact that Liverpool finished 20 points ahead last season. They are also only 2 points below this season despite a harder fixture list to date and have had their squad stretched and priorities altered with playing more games in more competitions.

Ultimately it's an opinion, backed up from watching both teams play regularly. Right now Liverpool look a better side and they've been more consistent in picking up points in 2015.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say the result of the previous encounter is as irrelevant as who is playing better football right now. Otherwise you could argue MK Dons are better than United or Bradford are better than Chelsea. And incase you want to argue that United weren't full strength against MK Dons, Liverpool weren't full strength against united. Neither team is even playing the same system anymore.

I'm basing it on the fact that Liverpool finished 20 points ahead last season. They are also only 2 points below this season despite a harder fixture list to date and have had their squad stretched and priorities altered with playing more games in more competitions.

Ultimately it's an opinion, backed up from watching both teams play regularly. Right now Liverpool look a better side and they've been more consistent in picking up points in 2015.

Hang on a minute, you say that the previous match where we beat them 3-0 is not relevant and cannot be used to say who is the better team, but that what happened last season when both had different squads, and we had a different manager can be used???

How does that work??

Will Suarez have an impact on the run in again for them?? No? Will say Hernandez for us, no again, as both are not active members of either us or their squads.

Interesting that you decide to restrict yourself to just how each team has done in 2015, and from a select number of matches, rather than say the season as a whole so far, to try and say that Liverpool are the better team, when in the latter, more extensive period, we are the better team (hence why we are ahead of them in the league table, or does that table not give an actual representation either????).

You say that Liverpool have had their squad stretched, but fail to mention that for a large part of this season we have been dealing with what could be called an injury crisis!
    Our squad was severely depleted on numerous occasions, and even now we have got RvP injured, for I don't know how long, who is or could be called are best striker (seeing as Rooney has spent a fair chunk of time in midfield), so I don't see how you could use that to base that Liverpool are a better side than us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Please let's not turn this into another big debate on folk's opinions, especially an elongated Man United vs Liverpool debate.

The odd counterpoint is maybe fine, but otherwise zzzz, seen it heard it in plenty other places, especially from fans of these clubs.

I'm much more interested in general FMs just giving their opinions about the top 4 and predicting these top clashes.

Then be intersting to compare and contrast and see how things actually match our thoughts.

Orchideam has set out a fine template of the top clashes. So let's see some courage of convictions and put some results down plus maybe some final order predictions.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Liverpool weren't full strength against United"

Or to be more accurate, they had Daniel Sturridge missing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    "Liverpool weren't full strength against United"

Or to be more accurate, they had Daniel Sturridge missing.

Can he even be classed as part of their team being full strength, when he is back, and they still don't start him in their big games?!

I guess so, but it was still a bizarre thing to say!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hang on a minute, you say that the previous match where we beat them 3-0 is not relevant and cannot be used to say who is the better team, but that what happened last season when both had different squads, and we had a different manager can be used???

How does that work??

Will Suarez have an impact on the run in again for them?? No? Will say Hernandez for us, no again, as both are not active members of either us or their squads.

Interesting that you decide to restrict yourself to just how each team has done in 2015, and from a select number of matches, rather than say the season as a whole so far, to try and say that Liverpool are the better team, when in the latter, more extensive period, we are the better team (hence why we are ahead of them in the league table, or does that table not give an actual representation either????).

You say that Liverpool have had their squad stretched, but fail to mention that for a large part of this season we have been dealing with what could be called an injury crisis!
    Our squad was severely depleted on numerous occasions, and even now we have got RvP injured, for I don't know how long, who is or could be called are best striker (seeing as Rooney has spent a fair chunk of time in midfield), so I don't see how you could use that to base that Liverpool are a better side than us.

So...

Last season is too far away and irrelevant for you.
    Just this calender year is too restricted for you.

Right.

You do understand that the current league table is not a full representation because everybody hasn't played each other twice? It's only an accurate measurement when the season is finished. So in essence you are picking a date range to try and prove a point, even though it's just as inconclusive as me only using 2015.

I'm not going to bore myself responding to all of your poor excuses because I have already said it's an opinion based on how the teams are playing right now. And right now I think Liverpool are clearly a better side, playing better football, with a better system. I get that, as a manc, that must be hard to hear in but it'll get easier pal.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

really? thats like saying you made money from west ham not being top 4. it was never odds on

what i thought.
    Did I say that? No i didn't.

If only there was a website where you could act as the bookie.

even then how can you be collecting winnigns when they are 5th in march????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »
    really? thats like saying you made money from west ham not being top 4. it was never odds on

what i thought.

even then how can you be collecting winnigns when they are 5th in march????

Actually, I do get it.

I presume it's something like going against Southampton for top 4 when they were riding higher, then as their price eased out striking counter bets to effectively take profits 'in play'

Effectively buy and sell at the right times and you can make profit almost irrespective of the final putcome.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Very simple actually, because we are currently the team in form, in fact, to be really, really pedantic, we are the 2nd best in form team atm in the whole of Europe! :D

Now get yer predictions up and let's see how good you are! :cool:
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orchideam wrote: »
    Very simple actually, because we are currently the team in form, in fact, to be really, really pedantic, we are the 2nd best in form team atm in the whole of Europe! :D

Now get yer predictions up and let's see how good you are! :cool:

A form team that went out to Besiktas less than a week ago.:p

Just a blip eh?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The proof as they say will be in the pudding :)

Folk can question all they want someone else's logic for predicting A to finish ahead of B. But there will be a final answer and someone will have got it right and someone wrong.

Certainly between Man United and Liverpool, I think a lot of neutrals can easily see it going either way. For me personally that's the tightest call, but hey there might be very clear daylight in the end.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Can he even be classed as part of their team being full strength, when he is back, and they still don't start him in their big games?!

I guess so, but it was still a bizarre thing to say!

Of course he can. He's being eased in to avoid anymore injuries since he's injury prone and very important to us.

The only bizarre thing here is you asking such a question.

Man United beating Liverpool earlier on in the season has no relevance to who has the better side. Liverpool are playing much better now, and are consistent. It'll be close between the two, but at the moment Liverpool are in better form and so look more likely to pick up points, so can still finish higher. You're often going on about trying to overtake City, saying that it's not impossible. Well they're 5 points ahead of you, and you're only 2 points ahead of us, and you're still to play us. So if you can talk about finishing higher than City then we can certainly consider being above you lot.

Your argument about not being a better side simply because you're higher than us and you beat us means little. West Ham beat us 3-0. Do they have a better side than us? Or are you recycling that old argument about a team having a better squad simply because they're higher in the league? Is it that Southampton thing again?
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They way things are going right now i think we'd be lucky to avoid a thrashing at Anfield.