Could a number of teams contend for the one realistic champions league place

1235»

Comments

• Options
    OrchideamOrchideam Posts: 5,486
    Forum Member
    A form team that went out to Besiktas less than a week ago.:p

Just a blip eh?

Irrelevant, league form is what matters, and what we are 2nd in Europe in.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doinkers wrote: »
    So...

Last season is too far away and irrelevant for you.
    Just this calender year is too restricted for you.

Right.

You do understand that the current league table is not a full representation because everybody hasn't played each other twice? It's only an accurate measurement when the season is finished. So in essence you are picking a date range to try and prove a point, even though it's just as inconclusive as me only using 2015.

I'm not going to bore myself responding to all of your poor excuses because I have already said it's an opinion based on how the teams are playing right now. And right now I think Liverpool are clearly a better side, playing better football, with a better system. I get that, as a manc, that must be hard to hear in but it'll get easier pal.

Ypu said that you were basing your opinion of of how the two sides did last season, what relevance does that have on this season? The squads are different, and we have a different manager, so quite how that has any semblance of relevance I just don't know.

Playing better football is again irrelevant, you don't get points for being stylish, only for putting the ball in the net more times than your opponent.
    Playing well or not is only in the eye of the beholder so to speak.

If Liverpool were the better sdide wepuld they not be higher in the league than the currently are? Say ahead of us?
    You might well indeed finish above us, I cannot rule that out, it is indeed a possibility, and a good one at that, seeing as you are less than a win behind, but at the moment, the better side is the side that is higher up in the league table, that makes sense to me.

Also I never made any "excuses", just putting forward answers to your points.
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The table as it stands is no definitive proof either UNLESS the two teams being compared had played exactly the same fixtures. Only the final table can be held up as any kind of metric and even then if the gap is small other factors such as injuries, bad decisions, fixture congestion, depleted opposition and, yes, luck all play a part - these things DON'T even themselves out sadly - it's not that simple.

If I had to go for any indicator, it will be the final table. No point posturing until then, I say.

No point asking rival fans if their Team A is better than rival Team B. Let the neutrals decide that one, as it'll be a far more rounded, rational and mature debate.

I'm delighted with how Liverpool are doing and comfortable with the run-in when compared to others - I'll leave it at that...
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    indiana44 wrote: »
    Actually, I do get it.

I presume it's something like going against Southampton for top 4 when they were riding higher, then as their price eased out striking counter bets to effectively take profits 'in play'

Effectively buy and sell at the right times and you can make profit almost irrespective of the final putcome.

oh yeh that makes sense for sure

but wouldnt have MADE money yet surely? bets not settled.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »
    really? thats like saying you made money from west ham not being top 4. it was never odds on

what i thought.

even then how can you be collecting winnigns when they are 5th in march????

I never said it was odds on and I never said I'd collected my winnings either.

At one point on Betfair, Southampton were 4/1 to be top 4 so I offered those odds and then backed them when they went up to 8/1. Easy.

I won't say 100% they won't make top 4 or otherwise I wouldn't have bet against myself, but I'm fairly confident as are the bookies.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »
    oh yeh that makes sense for sure

but wouldnt have MADE money yet surely? bets not settled.

Betfair don't pay you the actual money until it's settled as my winnings will be different depending on the outcome. But i've locked in my profit and it's not going away.
  • Options
    JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    They way things are going right now i think we'd be lucky to avoid a thrashing at Anfield.

Apparently we've been playing sh*t all season and still there hasn't been a single team that has thrashed us. If anything we've performed better against the top sides.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Ypu said that you were basing your opinion of of how the two sides did last season, what relevance does that have on this season? The squads are different, and we have a different manager, so quite how that has any semblance of relevance I just don't know.

Playing better football is again irrelevant, you don't get points for being stylish, only for putting the ball in the net more times than your opponent.
    Playing well or not is only in the eye of the beholder so to speak.

If Liverpool were the better side would they not be higher in the league than they currently are? Say ahead of us? You might well indeed finish above us, I cannot rule that out, it is indeed a possibility, and a good one at that, seeing as you are less than a win behind, but at the moment, the better side is the side that is higher up in the league table, that makes sense to me.

Also I never made any "excuses", just putting forward answers to your points.

Re BIB ( as he hesitantly enters this fray ), that's kinda playground logic - 'if you were better than us you'ed be higher in the league'. They can be currently better ( as there is a good case that Liverpool have been as against Man United for a couple of months or so ).

Clearly teams go through changes in personnel, form and how well they are playing.

It is absolutely clear that Liverpool are now playing better than they were a few months ago, it is absolutely clear that since the turn of the year they have won quite a number more points than United and hence have significantly closed the gap.

It is a piece of nonsense to suggest that there is not a lot of validity in claiming that Liverpool are ( currently ! ) playing better than Man United, just because on the whole season so far United are ahead.

Sorry, but that's a big logic fail !!

Yet another decent thread gets diverted by people trying to deal with batdude thinking ...
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orchideam wrote: »
    Irrelevant, league form is what matters, and what we are 2nd in Europe in.

I can't remember the last time we turned up against your lot tbh.

Maybe we can see you off with our high possession football and send you all to sleep? Then go in for the kill......:D
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JMTD wrote: »
    Apparently we've been playing sh*t all season and still there hasn't been a single team that has thrashed us. If anything we've performed better against the top sides.

Apart from MK Dons, of course :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JMTD wrote: »

Yes, although I do think that Liverpool have recently been playing better than United, and have been picking up more points, I do kinda think United may 'turn up' in the big matches.

I found myself predicting Liverpool vs United to be a draw and United to get two wins and just one defeat in their five remaining matches against the other top sides.
  • Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    indiana44 wrote: »
    Re BIB ( as he hesitantly enters this fray ), that's kinda playground logic - 'if you were better than us you'ed be higher in the league'. They can be currently better ( as there is a good case that Liverpool have been as against Man United for a couple of months or so ).

Clearly teams go through changes in personnel, form and how well they are playing.

It is absolutely clear that Liverpool are now playing better than they were a few months ago, it is absolutely clear that since the turn of the year they have won quite a number more points than United and hence have significantly closed the gap.

It is a piece of nonsense to suggest that there is not a lot of validity in claiming that Liverpool are ( currently ! ) playing better than Man United, just because on the whole season so far United are ahead.

Sorry, but that's a big logic fail !!

Yet another decent thread gets diverted by people trying to deal with batdude thinking ...

I know and its destroying any chance of sensible discussion on here. Its like a small child constantly interrupting in a grown ups conversation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from MK Dons, of course :cry:

Look what has happened to quite a large proportion of that starting side, those players will not form a starting eleven for us again!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Southampton eke out a late winner vs Crystal Palace.

Their big problem of late has been the goals have stopped coming. If that changed, and Pelle in particular refound his earlier goal scoring and confidence, they could yet surprise. Their run-in is not bad.
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything could happen, it's all highly unpredictable.

As a United fan, i can't even guess what formation we're going to play tonight let alone what the result may be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Southampton are very much still in the hunt for a top four place, I am not ruling them out at all.

It is still very tight, and anyone who drops points is in danger of moving down the table, as others win, it like a game of snakes and ladders!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sneaky feeling newcastle could get a draw tonight vs utd, i dont think anyone expects much of them under carver now, might work for them. rooney being upfront through rvp injury could be huge though.

burnley play with heart but i think liverpool will pick up where they left off

arsenal vs qpr is tough to call

should be another exciting night.
  • Options
    carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,047
    Forum Member
    Let's have a go at this then….

Chelsea 60 points, GIH
    Chelsea v Man United - Chelsea
    Chelsea v Liverpool - Chelsea
    Arsenal v Chelsea - Chelsea

69 points from 29 matches.

Manchester City 55 points
    Man United v Man City - Draw
    Spurs v Man City - Man City

59 points from 29 matches.

Arsenal 51 points
    Man United v Arsenal - Draw
    Arsenal v Liverpool - Draw
    Arsenal v Chelsea - Chelsea

53 points from 30 matches.

Manchester United 50 points
    Man United v Spurs - Man United
    Liverpool v Man United - Liverpool
    Chelsea v Man United - Chelsea
    Man United v Arsenal - Draw
    Man United v Man City - Draw

55 points from 32 matches.

Liverpool 48 points
    Liverpool v Man United - Liverpool
    Arsenal v Liverpool - Draw
    Chelsea v Liverpool - Chelsea

52 points from 30 matches.

Spurs 44 points, GIH
    Man United v Spurs - Man United
    Spurs v Man City - Man City

44 points from 28 matches.

Along with Chelsea and City, it's Arsenal and Liverpool for me at this stage.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...Along with Chelsea and City, it's Arsenal and Liverpool for me at this stage.
    I'd go along with that on current form, though I would love my club Spurs to end the season well and be challenging for 4th. I have a gut feel that the 5th place Europa spot is where there will be the biggest challenge.
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If results stay the same the door opens to Spurs and southampton again.

Spurs also playing Saturday when no one else is
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Krul Cost Me Money