If Scotland goes independant in 2014 what will happen to the Olympic tean GB for 2016

Comments

• thmsthms Posts: 61,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HillmanImp wrote: »
    Loads of independence referendum's have ended with the "NO" to separation answer. Typical example Quebec said "NO". Northern Ireland says "NO" to separation. The Federal States of the USA also voted to stay within the union. Bavaria never gets enough nationalists to even raise one. Austria voted to reunify with Germany. Many small scale opinion polls show Danes and Swedes would welcome unification (typical small example)
    http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=189337
    I'm not sure what your point is? Now many Indian states have voted for Separation even though they speak different languages and have different customs - I'll warrant its a minority.

You clearly are not looking. Scotland leaving the UK would be like Texas leaving the USA - its not going to happen.

Scotland never voted for union with England.. so.. has a country.. not a region or a state.. has a country.. every voted no to independence?
  • Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    geemonkee wrote: »
    There's a long way to go until the vote. In political terms it's a near lifetime. Opinions will sway and change this way and that. One of the biggest weapons in the pro-independence campaign is actually a section of the English media, English public & English politicians. The ones fail to acknowledge Scotland's huge contribution to the UK over the years. The ones who continually belittle Scotland as a nation of 'subsidy junkies' who are too reliant on English taxes to go it alone.

Nothing stokes the fire more than having your nations pride pissed on.
    As has been said before , it is the unionists and the right wing British press that will lose the referendum. Negativity is not a good thing. Oh course the right wing press has a new target to pick on , the disabled, the poor and the unemployed. Looks like they realised their anti Scottish stance was being counter productive. They should have read the Motto of the Scottish nation.

"whae daur meddle wi' me"

:D:D:D:D
  • HillmanImpHillmanImp Posts: 2,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thms wrote: »
    Scotland never voted for union with England.. so.. has a country.. not a region or a state.. has a country.. every voted no to independence?

That is too esoteric. Quebec was basically the French Colonies which makes them (if they wanted to be) a "country" in the new world. The UK voted to join the EU (eg give up some sovereignty into a greater sovereignty). The Indian States are definitely more nation states than Scotland is. As George Galloway states "one small Island with one main language" Talking of Islands, Hawaii joined the Union after a referendum in the 1950s (it could have kept some distance from the USA but it chose to fully integrate).
    Northern Ireland voted to stay in the union. Goa, a football loving, Catholic enclave of India has never voted to separate. Since 1921 (when UK became fully democratic) the vast majority of Scottish families have been happy voting for British parties....And I'm sure they will again cum the next election. the snp are toast. Too much bad press, and the multiple wife beater was the last straw.

Bottom line is Quebec was and is miles more culturally distinct within Canada than Scotland is to the rest of the UK. Its not even close. This also goes with Basques and other Spanish separatists - they have large living languages.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is too esoteric. Quebec was basically the French Colonies which makes them (if they wanted to be) a "country" in the new world. The UK voted to join the EU (eg give up some sovereignty into a greater sovereignty). The Indian States are definitely more nation states than Scotland is. As George Galloway states "one small Island with one main language" Talking of Islands, Hawaii joined the Union after a referendum in the 1950s (it could have kept some distance from the USA but it chose to fully integrate).
    Northern Ireland voted to stay in the union. Goa, a football loving, Catholic enclave of India has never voted to separate. Since 1921 (when UK became fully democratic) the vast majority of Scottish families have been happy voting for British parties....And I'm sure they will again cum the next election. the snp are toast. Too much bad press, and the multiple wife beater was the last straw.

Bottom line is Quebec was and is miles more culturally distinct within Canada than Scotland is to the rest of the UK. Its not even close. This also goes with Basques and other Spanish separatists - they have large living languages.

Barrel, bottom of, scraping.
    Quebec does not have its own education system, law system, health system and church. Nor is it a country in its own right.
    Apart from that , you are wrong again;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

http://geography.about.com/cs/countries/a/newcountries.htm

New Countries of the World

The 34 New Countries Created Since 1990

http://geography.about.com/od/politicalgeography/a/missingcountry.htm

Missing Countries

Countries That No Longer Exist

(that list includes Scotland? :confused:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Auld Snody wrote: »
    Quebec does not have its own education system, law system, health system and church. Nor is it a country in its own right. Apart from that , you are wrong again

Actually, I think you might be wrong. The NHS in Canada is at state level not at Nation level. Quebec clearly is Catholic but the rest are more likely to be protestant. Wikipedia says: "Quebec law is unique in Canada because Quebec is the only province in Canada to have a juridical legal system (pertaining to the administration of justice) under which civil matters are regulated by French-heritage civil law." Education?
    "The Quebec education system is governed by the Ministère de l'Éducation, du Loisir et du Sport. It is administered at the local level by publicly elected French and English school boards. Teachers are represented by province-wide unions that negotiate province-wide working conditions with local boards and the provincial government."

Canada, is a far loser federation than the UK. And as I've said before I would STRONGLY support a Federal UK with a new Federal parliament built next to the BBC in Salford. I've even started a thread that London Civil Servants should lose "London Waiting" thus making London, at a stroke, get less money than the rest of the nation.

I am not a supporter of Separation.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a long way to go until the vote. In political terms it's a near lifetime. Opinions will sway and change this way and that. One of the biggest weapons in the pro-independence campaign is actually a section of the English media, English public & English politicians. The ones fail to acknowledge Scotland's huge contribution to the UK over the years. The ones who continually belittle Scotland as a nation of 'subsidy junkies' who are too reliant on English taxes to go it alone.

As has been said before , it is the unionists and the right wing British press that will lose the referendum. Negativity is not a good thing. Oh course the right wing press has a new target to pick on , the disabled, the poor and the unemployed. Looks like they realised their anti Scottish stance was being counter productive. They should have read the Motto of the Scottish nation.

"whae daur meddle wi' me"

:D:D:D:D

The polls and public opinion suggest there isn't a great want for independence in Scotland. Its just not going to happen. With 16 months to go and the Yes Vote polling actually decreasing this isn't a sign that some how the Yes vote is going to surge to a massive win. The Yes vote should be pulling ahead now if they want to be certain of a win.

The people losing the Yes vote campaign are the SNP for not answering or being honest in the questions that decent Scottish folk are asking. ;) Time and time again we are being fobbed off by lies or figures that don't seem to add up and people aren't liking this. Its nothing to do with the media. That is scrapping the bottom of the barrell. Its to do with real issues that will effect real Scottish people and that is why the % for the Yes in the polls are so low. The majority prefer being part of Great Britain. Nothing will change this by 2014. Certainly no newspaper. Scottish people are not led by sheep. Do give us some credit. We are more than capable of looking at the facts and how we would be effected by it. No one with any common sense is going to vote Yes or No just to piss off an MP. :rolleyes: They will vote for what is in the best interests of themselves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The polls and public opinion suggest there isn't a great want for independence in Scotland. Its just not going to happen. With 16 months to go and the Yes Vote polling actually decreasing this isn't a sign that some how the Yes vote is going to surge to a massive win. The Yes vote should be pulling ahead now if they want to be certain of a win.

The people losing the Yes vote campaign are the SNP for not answering or being honest in the questions that decent Scottish folk are asking. ;) Time and time again we are being fobbed off by lies or figures that don't seem to add up and people aren't liking this. Its nothing to do with the media. That is scrapping the bottom of the barrell. Its to do with real issues that will effect real Scottish people and that is why the % for the Yes in the polls are so low. The majority prefer being part of Great Britain. Nothing will change this by 2014. Certainly no newspaper. Scottish people are not led by sheep. Do give us some credit. We are more than capable of looking at the facts and how we would be effected by it. No one with any common sense is going to vote Yes or No just to piss off an MP. :rolleyes: They will vote for what is in the best interests of themselves.

Wait and see
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

there are other organisations and parties that support the principle of independence and just because the unionist parties oppose independence it does not necessarily follow all their supporters will think the same way..
  • onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member
    English media, English public & English politicians..

scapegoating people is ugly.
    The SNP should be ashamed if that is going to be their main tactic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    onecitizen wrote: »

are you quoting the right post? :confused:

Forum Member
    ✭✭
    onecitizen wrote: »

Are the unionists going to selectively misquote people, they should be ashamed if that is going to be their main tactic
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are the unionists going to selectively misquote people, they should be ashamed if that is going to be their main tactic

Nope you should be ashamed for linking to newsnetscotland - snp pimps . you deserved all you got.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope you should be ashamed for linking to newsnetscotland - snp pimps . you deserved all you got.

I did not link to newsnetscotland, you should be ashamed,yet again, for posting untruths.
    I can see that this is going to be. Unionist tactic from now on. Pretty much the same as their last tactic ( and the one before that, come to think of it) ;)
  • MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't it great to see Andy Murray singing "God save the Queen" and draped in the Union Flag? :)
  • JillyJilly Posts: 20,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »
    Wasn't it great to see Andy Murray singing "God save the Queen" and draped in the Union Flag? :)

Yes it was Martin, I wonder who he would rather represent at the Games, Scotland or GB. I would say the latter he could not have got better support. One of the best medal wins of the Games so far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jilly wrote: »
    Yes it was Martin, I wonder who he would rather represent at the Games, Scotland or GB. I would say the latter he could not have got better support. One of the best medal wins of the Games so far.

Most medal winners from UK went to private schools at some points in their lifes and thus I think the Conservatives should expand private education - perhaps via "free schools". I am 100% in favour of private education for those that can afford it, and 100% in favour of trying to promote a private education ethos within the state sector. Come on Yeah Tories! We definitely have won 90% of GBs medals (private education = conservative = gold medals). Murray at age 15 went to study at: "Schiller International University" (Private school in Spain)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope that Scotland does go independent.... and the Fiefdom of Alex Salmond can then deal with the harsh realities of economic life, and the fact that neither England, Wales nor Northern Ireland sill subsidise the profligacy of the SNP Administration.
  • JillyJilly Posts: 20,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most medal winners from UK went to private schools at some points in their lifes and thus I think the Conservatives should expand private education - perhaps via "free schools". I am 100% in favour of private education for those that can afford it, and 100% in favour of trying to promote a private education ethos within the state sector. Come on Yeah Tories! We definitely have won 90% of GBs medals (private education = conservative = gold medals). Murray at age 15 went to study at: "Schiller International University" (Private school in Spain)

He also went to his local primary school at Dunblane and was hiding under a desk with his brother on that fateful day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DariaM wrote: »
    I hope that Scotland does go independent.... and the Fiefdom of Alex Salmond can then deal with the harsh realities of economic life, and the fact that neither England, Wales nor Northern Ireland sill subsidise the profligacy of the SNP Administration.

but as it stands anyone can simply move there and get all the perks. Labour governments since the beginning of time have been trying to get the "north" to get rich again via pumping money in. With Scotland, it seems to be working. Why ruin it all via separation. The success of any part of the island should be to the benefit of all. Let scotland keep all the perks and more and lets get more people living there. I think even the SNP wants that - so we're all singing from the same hymn sheet. God Save The Queen!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »

he must have read this...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2179523/London-2012-Olympics-Fury-Welsh-Scots-snub-National-Anthem.html

:D

is that 5 golds for scots? :confused:

alas there will be no tennis at the commonwealth games so no chance of hearing andy singing flower of Scotland :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DariaM wrote: »

I hope that Scotland becomes independent then RUK will have to deal with the harsh realities of economic life without Scotland and its oil propping up the profligracy of the UK .;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thms wrote: »
    he must have read this...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2179523/London-2012-Olympics-Fury-Welsh-Scots-snub-National-Anthem.html

is that 5 golds for scots? :confused:

alas there will be no tennis at the commonwealth games so no chance of hearing andy singing flower of Scotland :D

Sir Chris Hoy, Murray et al spent considerable time in private education so one assumes they are Conservative core believers. Their ethos of "winning" and going private is Conservative and Unionist. The nat Footballers LOST! ha ha ha
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Aye, that's right Scotland hasn't managed to do anything at the Olympics....................oh hang on a minute;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Olympic_medallists

Glad to see Scottish Olympians doing so well as part of the British team in 2012, but they would hardly do as well if Scotland were separate. Only two of them won without the help of a non-Scottish team-mate and those two live and train in England.