Have you ditched your laptop for your tablet?

13»

Comments

• neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I dont use my just over 3 year old HP laptop as much as I used to since getting the Nexus 7 tablet 9 month ago.
    I do still use my desktop PC every day though.

Darren
  • Colino GreenColino Green Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just bought a Nook HD+ 9inch Android tablet last week based on the deal that Barnes & Noble have done with retailers. My first ever tablet and it is great for reading Ebooks and particularly good for reading PDF's that were pretty much useless on my old 2010 Kindle.

However I would never ever ditch the laptop for a Tablet. I much prefer typing on a keyboard. In fact, I would still happily get a large screen lcd monitor to use with Raspberry PI and external keyboard if I ever get round to it. :)

Edit: to say, of course I forgot about the fact that some of the higher priced Tablet PC's also have hidden hardware keyboards built in to the package, but I would always prefer using my large widescreen laptop for serious work.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    MrQuike wrote: »
    I've pretty much ditched the tablet and the laptop and gone back to desktop.

To be honest I love using my old Dell desktop with it's old XP. It's like a pair of old comfy shoes. I've tried to use my more modern laptop but I really think Windows 7 sucks and I won't go near Windows 8.

I even prefer taking my old netbook out and about with me rather than my iPad and if I really want to travel light I just take my Playbook which is still a great device, despite Blackberry consigning it to the bin.

Tablets are just not good enough to use as a proper work tool, the ipad I find so frustrating at times, so many websites seem to have problems with it and trying to type in text is crap, I find so many typo's I'm sure a lot of them are with the onscreen keyboard, I swear to god it puts up letters I never typed.

To not need a laptop or desktop and only use a tablet, you'd have to be a real fan of torture I think.
  • QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just use it less. Want to look at Argos ? Now I use the tablet where as before it would have been the laptop. Same for cinema listings. I use it as a tv in the bath instead of the net book I am in bed now just digesting info on my ipad and writing this. A laptop is overkill for some things and that's where the tablet comes in.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I moved from a desktop to a laptop 6 months ago at home after setting up a NAS to hold all my music and photos. We have an iPad but I find it only useful for browsing and watching catchup TV. For anything that requires typing or detailed work, then it's back to the laptop.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use my tablet for quick browsing if I need immediate information but laptop for working.

Having said that given one brother is always nicking my laptop for downloads and my tablet is currently in Taipei with another brother I'm using my phone the most.
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am using my MacBook Air less I just use it to type documents now. I am never off my ipad. I intend to upgrade to the new ipad when it is released and give this one to my mum who has never had an ipad.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't ditched my laptop for my tablet as such, but since being with my current partner I have used my tablet endless as she loves hogging my laptop. However at the end of the month I will be ditching my Android tablet for a basic Windows 8 pro tablet with keyboard dock. I know it won't be the speediest thing on the market but is sufficient enough for what I want to do on it.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Like most people who get into these shiny electronic toys, I quickly realise that I needed more than one device as they are all good at different things. A few months ago, I realised that I needed something a bit more high-powered than the ipod touch and 2g Nokia mobile combo that I was carrying around if I was going to cut it at all on the Starbucks scene.

My instinct was to go for a laptop as it clearly is a lot more capable than a tablet. I visited the apple store several times to convince myself that I needed a Macbook Air. In the end I couldn't justify it. I don't need a laptop for complicated work tasks as, like most people, my employer gives me a computer for that. I've got my own desktop for complicated non-work tasks.

When I looked at it rationally, all I do on the move is email, browse, post stuff on forums and consume media. A laptop is way over-specified for that, besides being a lot heavier and more expensive than a tablet. I've now got an ipad and it is perfect for these tasks. Of course it doesn't look quite as cool as a Macbook in a coffeshop but I strongly suspect that all those hipsters aren't really writing novels, editing huge video files or designing ad campaigns; they're just posting bollox on forums and laughing at cats on youtube.:D
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surface pro is the only tablet I would ever consider.

Tablets based on ARM processors are just consumer gadgets IMO.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

Yes, that's what they are.

Although ok for business use if just e-mails and a bit of internet.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surface pro is the only tablet I would ever consider.

What a totally nonsensical statement, what's the processor got to do with a device being a consumer gadget or not
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Why DS doesn't have a forum app for android and iOS? It would be much easier if it did :(
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a desktop PC and a tablet for casual use.

I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but I always find desktop machines better than laptops for working on.

Yet laptops are overkill for the browsing / media consumption / gaming use.

Also, my last laptop had wine spilled on it, which broke it. At least a tablet is a bit more hardy to abuse.

I don't think I could manage without some form of Windows PC though as I work in IT so I'd feel like I was cutting off an arm if I replaced it completely with a tablet.
  • lamblamlamblamblamlamb Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have actually moved back onto a laptop while doing stuff in bed. My tablet Archos G9 80 for some reason has gotten worse at web browsing.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My tablet Archos G9 80 for some reason has gotten worse at web browsing.
    Have you tried uninstalling unwanted apps? That sometimes restores a tablet back to full speed.
  • ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My laptop is mainly used for storing files now. Ther is the occasional need for my laptop to convert video files, leave big files uploading and using stuff like Photoshop.