Options

Youview without a TV aerial?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
Forum Member
I have an old Sky HD box to get freesat from, Can I use a youview box for catch up services without an aerial?

Comments

• Options
    Bob1942Bob1942 Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have an old Sky HD box to get freesat from, Can I use a youview box for catch up services without an aerial?

No aerial? how does the box pick up a signal either live or for days old programmes?
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No but if you have spare outputs on your lnb you can use the new G2 Humax HDR-1000s <free time> box or simply replace your Sky-Hd box with it.

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/freesat/
  • Options
    Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't know;it is a good question. The Humax HDR and HD Freeview boxes require an aerial to be connected (or the use of the custom firmware) as the date is obtained via the aerial and without a valid date the security credentials used to access the Humax portal are invalid.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    you should be able to use the box with out an aerial because it uses broadband for the on demand stuff, I am using my talktalk youview box sans aerial but you might have to set it up with an aerial first.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    you only need an aerial to get the correct time of day, after that it can be disconnected and the catch-up TV can be streamed over the LAN connection