Options

so if the Tardis can rescue the doctor without anyone piloting it....

124»

Comments

• Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has that actually been shown on screen?

In Genesis of the Daleks the Timelords send the Doctor to Skaro without the TARDIS.

In a later story we are told the TARDIS is travelling through time to meet up with the Doctor.

I can't recall if it's stated in that story how the TARDIS is doing this. On it's own accord of being remotely controlled by the Time Lords (which they have done in other stories).
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    Except there's no reason to suggest she lost them. In fact, it's a stronger suggestion to say she still has them - she had been removed from the GI with those skills, so she most likely kept them.
    You may be right, as I said before, we'll see.
    There hasn't been much in the way of manifestation of them in the last three stories, but there haven't been any modern computers in them either!
    :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    In Genesis of the Daleks the Timelords send the Doctor to Skaro without the TARDIS.
    In a later story we are told the TARDIS is travelling through time to meet up with the Doctor.
    I can't recall if it's stated in that story how the TARDIS is doing this. On it's own accord of being remotely controlled by the Time Lords (which they have done in other stories).
    The TARDIS materialised while empty in the church in Father's Day, summoned by its key IIRC.
    I'm sure there are other instances if my memory wasn't so bad!
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Dave-H wrote: »
    The TARDIS materialised while empty in the church in Father's Day, summoned by its key IIRC.
    I'm sure there are other instances if my memory wasn't so bad!

Ah, but that wasn't really travelling, it was, like, coming back into existence or something.
  • Options
    dvirgodvirgo Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Having The Tardis go and save The Doctor in such a way does kind of set up a precedent. From now on whenever The Doctor is in peril in future episodes will we now see The Tardis shoot off and save the day?

Things like this do tend to ask the question 'Well if it did it then why doesn't it do it again?'

Much like having The Tardis invisible in the 'Astronaut' two parter, why not have it land cloaked all the time, could save a lot of hassle in the long run.

The Tardis has been invisible before. The Cyberman story with patrick Troughton in the 60's
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Funny how we watch this show now. as a youngster I would just think the Tardis rescuing the doctor as just a magical part of the plot and not something i'd expect to see ever week. The Tardis and the doctor are symbiotic, we've seen this in both new show and the classic. The doctors wife gave an insight into the motivation of the Tardis, revealing emotion and purpose that doctor wasn't even aware of. I think since there meeting the tardis can feel free to emote in a it hasn't done before because she could say "hello Doctor" and has witnessed the doctors feelings for her.
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    dvirgo wrote: »
    The Tardis has been invisible before. The Cyberman story with patrick Troughton in the 60's

Yes, so why not have it land like that all the time or in certain dangerous situations? That's what I do with mine:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, so why not have it land like that all the time or in certain dangerous situations? That's what I do with mine:D
    Me too!
    I think there's been mention of the equivalent of a "cloaking device" (!) more recently too.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I would imagine the production reason is that you need the physical symbol of the Tardis, letting you know that you're watching Doctor Who.

Storywise having an invisible ship doesn't really have much of a impact and the doctor isn't really going into his adventures as a spy. He's a traveller and explorer there isn't always a reason for him to hide when landing on a random planet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because it's a safe and logical thing to do. Therefor, not fun.

So why would the Doctor bother with it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would imagine the production reason is that you need the physical symbol of the Tardis, letting you know that you're watching Doctor Who.
    Storywise having an invisible ship doesn't really have much of a impact and the doctor isn't really going into his adventures as a spy. He's a traveller and explorer there isn't always a reason for him to hide when landing on a random planet.
    And we all know now that the Doctor doesn't take the TARDIS into battle with his enemies, in case it falls into their hands.

That is except when he does of course!
    :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dave-H wrote: »
    And we all know now that the Doctor doesn't take the TARDIS into battle with his enemies, in case it falls into their hands.

That is except when he does of course!
    :D

True dat!

But i love those inconsistencies. Keeps you on your toes
  • Options
    WonderWorldWonderWorld Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    I can't recall The Doctors Daughter if it took off on it's own (without pre programming and the likes) but it didn't do it in Utopia. The Doctor takes off after seeing Jack, The Master pilots it later on (The Doctor just locked the landing coordinates). So yes, trying to shake Jack off was the Tardis but it didn't take off on its own.

Yes, they are quirks of The Tardis. Even as a kid I was never under any impression other than The Tardis takes The Doctor where trouble is, regardless of if he wanted to go or not. It does after all know everything about time, what has happened and what will happen.

So in The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit it knew exactly where to land in order to end up at precisely the right place to save The Doctor. I don't think for a second that The Doctor accidentally 'bumps' into the Tardis whilst fleeing a doomed situation. But that's just my speculation. And it makes that moment even more magical seeing it like that.

But none of that is taking off on it's own to go and save The Doctor, who lets face it has been in far more dire situations in his time than being in a forest chased by a horny love monster.

Now if it had been Clara flying The Tardis as part of her new gained intellect then surely we would have seen her at least flicking a few switches, pulling a few levers, in order to let the viewer see it is the companion rescuing the Doctor, to cheer her on, you know a bit of character building. (loving The Tardis not liking Clara by the way)

Plus having The Tardis up sticks and rescue the Doc kind off neglects the original need for the 'portals' in the episode, could have saved a lot of hassle.

But if the show is now establishing that The Tardis can take off and go save The Doc, hopefully we should be seeing it as a solution a lot more in the future.

I was wrong it is at the end of The Poison Sky the TARDIS takes off by herself. The TARDIS also takes off without someone in The Curse of the Black Spot which surprises the Doctor say that’s a new one the TARDIS taking off by herself that’s not supposed to happen. In The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith the TARDIS takes off to rejoin and help the Doctor. From watching Hide Clara is only hanging on not controlling the TARDIS. Also the flight is bumping just like when the TARDIS takes full control in Utopia, The Poison Sky & The Doctor's Daughter. I don’t know about classic who I haven’t watch all of them yet.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's stated in The Impossible Astronaut that the "Cloaking Device" uses up an awful lot of power.

The Doctor would probably have to recharge the TARDIS every other trip if he used the Cloak all the time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Is it possible that the TARDIS did not allow Rose to pilot because since it exists in all of time and space, it knew what was required to save the Doctor and the universe from the Daleks, and the only way that could be achieved was Rose to absorb the TARDIS energy and become Bad Wolf?
  • Options
    HestiaHestia Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    I was wrong it is at the end of The Poison Sky the TARDIS takes off by herself. The TARDIS also takes off without someone in The Curse of the Black Spot which surprises the Doctor say that’s a new one the TARDIS taking off by herself that’s not supposed to happen. In The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith the TARDIS takes off to rejoin and help the Doctor. From watching Hide Clara is only hanging on not controlling the TARDIS. Also the flight is bumping just like when the TARDIS takes full control in Utopia, The Poison Sky & The Doctor's Daughter. I don’t know about classic who I haven’t watch all of them yet.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but in The Poison Sky, isn't it the Sontarans transporting it up to their ship, which the Doctor reverses? So it's not actually flying.
  • Options
    WonderWorldWonderWorld Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    Hestia wrote: »
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but in The Poison Sky, isn't it the Sontarans transporting it up to their ship, which the Doctor reverses? So it's not actually flying.

No at the end, when Martha is about to leave the doors shut and the TARDIS takes off. Martha complains to the Doctor to take her back, but he can’t he does not have control. The Show ends and in The Doctor's Daughter it shows the TARDIS taking them to the planet Messaline.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    The TARDIS is 200 years older than then, it's a living creature, it probably evolved
  • Options
    Banks246Banks246 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Clara and the TARDIS are somehow linked, so the fact she seems to be able to communicate with the TARDIS may not be all that surprising soon enough,
  • Options
    vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The hologram can easily be explained, we have seen it before when The Doctor asks the TARDIS to show his companions and the ones he hasn't messed up. Therefore the hologram programming is in place. Moreover you have The Doctor leaving messages for Martha in the TARDIS, giving her instructions when he turned human. So really it can be seen as the evolution of the two.

As for the TARDIS helping the Doctor, unless the Doctor tells the TARDIS to stay put it will likely go and rescue the Doctor only when it is absolutely needed. It appears that the TARDIS is having a better relationship with the Doctor at the moment when you consider he is flying it perfectly to return at a particular time without being late.