Options

Rugby League 2015

Comments

• Options
    tonypennystonypennys Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Leigh demolished Keighley 86-0 top performance all round . Bradford in 2 weeks will be a corker . Hope the full back is ok from Keighley he took the Fuifui smash
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bump for this thread, Super League kicks off tonight - Widnes v Wigan, with Saint Helens v traditional slow starters the Catalan Dragons tomorrow.
  • Options
    AZ fanAZ fan Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'd think the Super League preview would be among the top stories on BBC Sport but they gave F1 TESTING and some stupid thing about footballers' wages more prominence.

Good to see the season opening with Wigan for purely selfish reasons. I think Hampshire is going to play a big part this season and expect Liam Farrell to be even better.
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a fan of this new structure. Seems confusing and just shifting the deckchairs.

The best way to raise standards is to ensure all clubs spend up to the salary cap. Not sure how a new league structure achieves that.

An 8 team play off in Superleague was too many but a play off between 4 teams. I would of changed it to 6.
  • Options
    kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    Really unsure about the new format. All this talk of every minute counts is starting to get on my nerves to be honest. I don't see it at all and only having 4 in the play offs just doest sit well with me.

Should have went with 6. Maybe 5 with the shield winners getting a the first round off. I don't see how the new format will create new champions or even new finalists. Going with top 4 only is just gonna see the same teams as per usual.

Really hope Todd Carney hits the ground running as catalan now have a harder time to make the play offs.

Considering we may see 7th and the 8th places teams way out of reach in making top 4 I really struggling to see where all this every minute counts talk comes from. There seasons will be over come the split.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kobashi100 wrote: »
    Really unsure about the new format. All this talk of every minute counts is starting to get on my nerves to be honest. I don't see it at all and only having 4 in the play offs just doest sit well with me.

Should have went with 6. Maybe 5 with the shield winners getting a the first round off. I don't see how the new format will create new champions or even new finalists. Going with top 4 only is just gonna see the same teams as per usual.

Really hope Todd Carney hits the ground running as catalan now have a harder time to make the play offs.

Considering we may see 7th and the 8th places teams way out of reach in making top 4 I really struggling to see where all this every minute counts talk comes from. There seasons will be over come the split.

Not necessarily there will a few teams that could finish in the bottom four it could come down to a + or - difference no team will want to finish in the bottom four

For me it's different I am in support of it I would prefer promotion and relegation but it's better than nothing
    Hopefully leigh will get a chance to prove how good or bad they are
    The SL clubs got 3 times as much money as Leigh did but the difference won't be that much
    My groan is sky are giving the championship 4.5 million a season and are only showing magic weekend and play offs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the refs have made a rod for their own backs if they are going to show red cards for that kind of tackle throughout the season.

Ha ha ha, Stevo is reading my mind, used the exact phrase 10 secs after I wrote it.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If that's a red then there'll be a lot of games finishing 10/11 a side this year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Messers Moimoi Barlow Acton Walker Sarsfield and Haggerty going keep the disciplinary panel busy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quick, emergency swear box to the Wigan dressing room!!!!
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, they tried their guts out, but Wigan finally managed to get one of their men sent off. Well done, Pies, you kept going right till the end, and it paid off. Shame it wasn't a red, but I'm sure you'll have plenty of other opportunities to go one better if you keep playing like that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Referee was awful. The red card was a terrible call and the pen given to widnes when the player went into touch was ridiculous.

Let's get some Aussie refs in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lost my voice from shouting at the incompetent ref and touch judge last night,

Wigan were awful and we could have easily won that game. Great fight by our players to come back and draw it. You could see how frustrated they were getting with the inconsistencies in every play.

Wigan were niggly and sometimes downright thuggish, but I don't really expect much more from them under Wane. Lost count of the number of off the ball hits they put in. Liam Farrell has gone from being a good player (who played for us for a while) to a spoiler, keeping his hands in every tackle and punching people off the ball. O'Laughlin and J Tomkins weren't any better.

I hope the RFL look back at that game and see how the ref lost control of it. A better red would have calmed it down in the early stages and not let it escalate.

Of course nothing will happen because it's Wigan....
  • Options
    Forum Member

Wigan were awful and we could have easily won that game. Great fight by our players to come back and draw it. You could see how frustrated they were getting with the inconsistencies in every play.

Wigan were niggly and sometimes downright thuggish, but I don't really expect much more from them under Wane. Lost count of the number of off the ball hits they put in. Liam Farrell has gone from being a good player (who played for us for a while) to a spoiler, keeping his hands in every tackle and punching people off the ball. O'Laughlin and J Tomkins weren't any better.

I hope the RFL look back at that game and see how the ref lost control of it. A better red would have calmed it down in the early stages and not let it escalate.

Played like that in tbe friendly against us will wane ever learn
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member

I think you are showing your bias there. A few late hits by Widnes on Wigan, plus a fair bit of niggling and lying on going on.

As for nothing happening because it's Wigan, you must have an incredibly short memory! I predict a 2 game ban, reduced to 1 after an early guilty plea. Let's come back next week and see who was right!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh look Catalan screwed out of a try again. They seem to get the wrong end of decisions time and time again.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some woeful defence from both Leeds and Hull KR yesterday, but we managed to shore ours up in the 2nd half, aside from an awful interception.

Kallum Watkins always tears up Hull KR at their place. Yesterday was no different.
  • Options
    MadsocksMadsocks Posts: 3,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    Referee was awful. The red card was a terrible call and the pen given to widnes when the player went into touch was ridiculous.

Let's get some Aussie refs in.

The Aussie refs are just as bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh look Catalan screwed out of a try again. They seem to get the wrong end of decisions time and time again.

If that jump for the ball constituted "tackled in the air", then I'm the King of Siam. Abysmal decision by the officials. Not surprised though, Bentham loves Saints.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madsocks wrote: »
    The Aussie refs are just as bad.

At least they make decisions without the need to go to the screen all the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least they make decisions without the need to go to the screen all the time.

That's because the video refs always fook up their decision. ;-) Just ask the Cowboys, or the Sea Eagles!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James Child's "punishment" for his inept performance in the opening game last week is a trip to Perpignan for the Catalans v Castleford TV game.

He must have photos of Steve Ganson in compromising situations. How he can get another game, and in France for that matter, after his god awful performance last Thursday?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Madsocks wrote: »
    James Child's "punishment" for his inept performance in the opening game last week is a trip to Perpignan for the Catalans v Castleford TV game.

He must have photos of Steve Ganson in compromising situations. How he can get another game, and in France for that matter, after his god awful performance last Thursday?
    Glad we haven't got him
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the point of Stuart Cummings on sky? His never objective and just always either agrees with the ref or finds a reason for why the ref made it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good boots and all but Eddie get your facts right not all the super leauge clubs will get four home games in the middle eight play offs