SCR refugee station

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FB1969 wrote: »
    I think Dom may also be presenting the Drive show on BBC Somerset again next Monday.

Any chance of Starry skies on that show, or is he forced into the Dave and Sue formula>?
  • RidgiemanRidgieman Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least Dominic is getting work at the moment, be nice if he got a regular slot at a regular station tho, preferably BBC Radio Solent or back at BBC Southern Counties
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Listened to Dom this pm on the Cambridge station. Very nice too, bringing back happy memories of tea time with Dom and Starry Skies, Harrogate sulphur soap and rugby.
    If as reported at the time Dom did not stay at SCR because he did not want to commute to Brighton I wonder if he regrets bearing in mind the travelling he now has to do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    So farewell Southern Counties, for some there'll be lament,
    Others may well wonder why, t'was so long a'fore ye went!

The times they are a changin' at least that's what some say,
    so a return to local programming, if so Hip Hip Hooray!

If it ain't broke don't fix it, coul be the moral of this tale,
    So heres to the first play of the BBC Sussex trail!:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SCRatcher wrote: »
    So farewell Southern Counties, for some there'll be lament,
    Others may well wonder why, t'was so long a'fore ye went!

The times they are a changin' at least that's what some say,
    so a return to local programming, if so Hip Hip Hooray!

If it ain't broke don't fix it, coul be the moral of this tale,
    So heres to the first play of the BBC Sussex trail!:)

Bit early for p*ets day... or has the been officially banned now:D

Sourthern Counties is only a name - albeit one which has become a bye-word for how not to do a bbc local radio station. That which we call a rose would smell as sweet ... or in this case, it'll still be a pile of dingoes kidneys no matter what they call it if they dont actually do something to change it.

Rumours of change (ie Danny Pike) abound...will he have enough influence to turn it around... probably not. For me, its flawed from the start of the day when I normally listen to radio. If I tune in for breakfast theres every likelyhood I'll listen to the drive time slot. If I dont then I wont. Currently, theres absolutley nothing that makes me want to tune in before 16.00hrs.

To be or not to be, that is the question...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member

the bell has been silenced
    no poets day this week
    move over gordon
    its jt's turn to speak
    a smoother style of programme
    a permanant show soon????
    no pleading for phone callers
    like fearns all afternoon??????:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonnybebad wrote: »

the bell has been silenced
    no poets day this week
    move over gordon
    its jt's turn to speak
    a smoother style of programme
    a permanant show soon????
    no pleading for phone callers
    like fearns all afternoon??????:D

It may be only Wednesday,
    The middle of the week,
    The test match over, what to do?
    What channel shall I seek?

My finger hovers by the button
    Should I >?or Radio 4
    It took me just 5 secs you know
    Local radio is no more

They're changing what its called next month
    No longer SCR
    But will it make a difference
    We'll wait for Raymond jar

We still can add the numbers
    Its simple.. one plus one
    but thankfully for me at least
    More TMS to come
    Forum Member
    ok gf ....you win! it took me ages to come up with one verse!! you must have time on your hands!!!........have you ever made up a poem or any verse??????.........call in now on 08459................:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 412
    Forum Member
    Its not the length of your poem its how it scans that matters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps we could prevail upon 'Prof' BS to prepare one of his masterpieces of verse for us for tomorrow, that special day of the week whose name shall be left unsaid on account of recent overuse?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm, not sure about that PP. Wouldn't that be playing into the hands of the (albeit erstwhile) presenters who would suggest the day be dedicated to the lyrically inclined? And, yet these same presenters would denigrate the inclined by making a joke of a supposed acronym. A rather tired, well-worn to the point of overuse joke at that (it was just so 1970's).

I'm just poised and watching askance
    at the way that Management wants to dance
    Huff and puff and a sideways shuffle,
    Maybe thinking protests to muffle

Is grabbing presenters from Southern FM
    in an effort the audience loss to stem
    going to be enough? I think not but, well,
    its probably just too soon to tell.

Safe to say, I think, were not overawed
    Evidence is its fundamentally flawed
    Unless they overhaul the breakfast show
    lots more audience is going to go

Someone somewhere is going to fall
    They cant see the writing on the wall
    We want quality output from quality shows
    Its not rocket science , heaven knows,

Tabloid journalism has its place
    not in your ears and in your face
    The "Sound of Sussex" does not win
    its time to throw it in the bin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I take your point, of course, BS - my defence would be that I was very oblique and did not use the (done to death) phrase. Someone in my office used the phrase yesterday. I used to think it funny but yesterday I nearly hit him (I wonder why. Ed.).

A very good verse, by the way, and thanks for doing it today instead.

Again by the way, I've heard a few trailers referring to mid morning music and chat. One would have thought they might want to change that as a programme title? Perhaps they will after 30 Mar or 6 Apr, whenever it is that Oh Danny Boy takes over.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    npbgihtp wrote: »
    Its not the length of your poem its how it scans that matters.

npbgihtp. You are not suggesting my little verses were cr*p by an chance ;)

BTW atthe end of the lunchtime news on R4 I dipped in to the afternoon show to what was what, and heard the words eco- coffin. That was enough Words failed me whilst I laughed.
    I thought of all sorts of metaphors that seemed appropriate.

Forum Member
    busby, douglas, your not forgot
    radford buckly your loved a lot
    replaced by fools who cannot know
    what we want from a radio show

pringles managerial skill
    doesnt really fit the bill
    he axed the best ..my memory lingers..
    now hes known as passion fingers

then we have our lovely fearns
    imo shes a lot to learn
    i know this doesnt always rhyme
    but i know its better than.........wag time:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am very pleased to be able to report which I found very good on SCR yesterday while out and about 'in the motor' on various errands

It wasn't the 3pm topics list of things your early afternoon presenter was pleading people to phone in aobut (hearing that got me quickly re-tuning to R4 where I found GQT).

No, it was when I came away from the garage at about 5.15 (Surrey Drive feed). They played the Red Nose Day single they made in a day. It was extreemly good and benefited from involment by a number of genuine (presumably local) musicians. I'm afraid the only name I can remember was Alvin Stardust but a number of others were also involved. OK the professional musicians will have carried it, but nonetheless it was v. good.

It is nice to be able to offer the occassional plaudit to your local public service broadcaster, it's just a shame they are so occassional.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am very pleased to be able to report which I found very good on SCR yesterday while out and about 'in the motor' on various errands

It wasn't the 3pm topics list of things your early afternoon presenter was pleading people to phone in aobut (hearing that got me quickly re-tuning to R4 where I found GQT).

No, it was when I came away from the garage at about 5.15 (Surrey Drive feed). They played the Red Nose Day single they made in a day. It was extreemly good and benefited from involment by a number of genuine (presumably local) musicians. I'm afraid the only name I can remember was Alvin Stardust but a number of others were also involved. OK the professional musicians will have carried it, but nonetheless it was v. good.

It is nice to be able to offer the occassional plaudit to your local public service broadcaster, it's just a shame they are so occassional.

Well I would too if there was anything to applaud, but I am not listening, and I don't think I ever will again as a regular listener until certain changes are made. No sign of them yet. There is one big stumbling block as far as I am concerned. That said I did listen to a bit of the local football results on Sat night.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gingerfake wrote: »
    Well I would too if there was anything to applaud, but I am not listening, and I don't think I ever will again as a regular listener until certain changes are made. No sign of them yet. There is one big stumbling block as far as I am concerned. That said I did listen to a bit of the local football results on Sat night.

Has SCR become like a worn out vending machine? i.e. you only get change out of it if you kick it hard enough. And in all probability it wont be the right change either.

Changing the signs on it doesnt make it a new machine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thinking that someone might pick up on the fact that by Ben K's own admission on Fri pm, the main contributors to the song they wrote and recorded in a day were the external musicians. Ben commented how he had thought he was just going to be lurking in the choir but realised it was a serious effort once he got there etc.

However and by whoever the song got written and produced, I did find it very good, so therefore found myself pleased I could pass a positive comment for once.

A few pages back a non-regular/new poster alighted on this thread and called it anti-SCR. I personally do not regard it as so. I regard it as pro-SCR and feel it is supported by a lot of people who wish SCR well. I like, I think, most of them are severely disappointed by the direction (downwards) the station has gone since Apr '06 - and still appears to be going.

Whilst I can pick up BBC Kent, that is not my area and SCR should be part be part of the family so to speak as they cover all of my commute route. Thus, continuing the family analogy, I basically feel that SCR is like a relative who has gone off the rails somewhat but whom you hope will get back on track at the earliest opportunity.

The next opportunity appears to be at the start of this April.....:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    Hopefully when te split BBC Sussex/Surrey comes in presenter line up might/should improve. I would have Joe T and Ben K with prime shows and of course Danny Pike in May. As for Alison Ferns, well its not her fault as BBC Locals like "womens issues" in the afternoon, and oh yes -please less newsreaders trying to be "hip" presenters. Please SCR sort this out and with Southern and others converting to Hear don't loose this chance!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    I tought "Be'Jaisus & Be'gorra"
    It's St Paddy's day tomorrow
    I wondered how I'd mark the day this year?

So I tuned me ever faithful tranny,
    to the morning show wid Danny,
    But Joe Talbot's voice is what did hit me ear!

Oh I'm a little premature, It's a fault of mine to be sure,
    but I'm devil-excited about the change about to come,
    'Cos if it carried on like this, I would surely give a miss,
    To the darlin' little station I call home!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SCRatcher wrote: »
    I tought "Be'Jaisus & Be'gorra"
    It's St Paddy's day tomorrow
    I wondered how I'd mark the day this year?

Don't want to appear picky, but I thought it was today?;)

A good degree of pre-St. Patrick's day excitement last night perhaps? LOL :D:D

I guess many might agree with your last 2 lines, though?
    {'Cos if it carried on like this, I would surely give a miss,
    To the darlin' little station I call home! }
    ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ian_22 wrote: »
    Hopefully when te split BBC Sussex/Surrey comes in presenter line up might/should improve. I would have Joe T and Ben K with prime shows and of course Danny Pike in May. As for Alison Ferns, well its not her fault as BBC Locals like "womens issues" in the afternoon, and oh yes -please less newsreaders trying to be "hip" presenters. Please SCR sort this out and with Southern and others converting to Hear don't loose this chance!

The thing is Ian, the split is already there. Some might argue its always been there. The rebranding exercise due in April isnt going to change anything - the morning show and early afternoon show (and probably what happens in the evening) is still going to be the same and transmitted to both areas. The current Breakfast show and DriveTime splits are going to continue. This is a cosmetic makeover in order to try and make a difference out of something which doesnt really exist in the hope of attracting more listeners.

What Ali Fearns broadcasts may not be her fault. But equally, several female friends of mine don't regard the content as being "womens issues". They find it mindless pap on the whole, targetted at the gossip paper/magazine lowest & common denominator brigade. Most of them have said they find its an insult to their intelligence and very little to do with local issues. What it seems to be is what somebody somewhere thinks ought to be local "womens issues" and what women ought to want to listen to. Which probably tells you that said person has a very poor view of women in general. Nonetheless, this is what is churned out. I'm in the fortunate position of not being able to hear it most days (even if I wanted to).

If its not Ali Fearns fault what she broadcasts then asking SCR to sort it out may not be within their remit to do. They may be being directed from above on what constitutes suitable broadcasting. If I was in a position of authority in the beeb I'd be looking at what other local stations do and the audience figures they enjoy and seeing what drags in the audience. Maybe it is what Ali is broadcasting...in which case, heaven help us. Drivel may be the new fashion in radio these days, in which case your all welcome to it and I'll go somewhere else ( actually I have).

To quote one of my favourite bands:-

...you had the chance, you had the power
    you've yet to have your finest hour...
    Radio...

All we hear is Radio Gaga, Radio Googoo, Radio Blah Blah..."
  • RidgiemanRidgieman Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Early risers may like to know that Dominic Busby will be back on BBC Radio Solent Friday 27th from 5am on the early show and i think he is on Saturday 28th from 6am. Must remember to set my alarm clock:)
  • Oscar_Oscar_ Posts: 3,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did I just hear Tommy Boyd say that John Radford will be starting a regular show on Play Talk UK very soon?
  • .Janet..Janet. Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Dom will be on the Somerset Mid-Morning show next Monday, then Leeds on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings.
This discussion has been closed.