Options

SCR refugee station

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonnybebad wrote: »
    i know you dont listen gf but there is the equivalent to this every afternoon......the af show.....a bird doing a lot of senseless tweeting!!??

Twittering sounds more accurate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twittering sounds more accurate.

For those who would prefer to listen to birdsong, its actually quite theaputic, and ininitely preferable to SCR

Try here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/birdsong.shtml
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Out in the motor' (as my late uncle from Norfolk used to say) just after 10 today so got my first listen to DannyBoy.

Well, I found him reasonably listen-to-able in this 10 - 10.45 slot which I heard him. You now get 'Music and Conversation' I think he called it and it certainly did seem very much less 'in your face' arrogant and 'I know best, even if I don't' than what we got used to from the incumbent of this slot for nearly 3 yrs post Apr '06. (OK, in case of any pedants, it was post 9 am to start with).

This was my one and only bit of research so far as, like Ginger and I suspect many others, I am Radio 4 between 7.30 and 9.00 now due to SCR.

Perhaps I was lucky today as he was doing a serious couple of interviews about being falsely accused of rape. They did obviously try and get 3 sensible people in or on the phone to be interviewed - and none of them had a book to plug. It was an interesting bit of radio which kept my attention (and how often have we been able to say that re SCR over recent years?).

Well, what with 'The Rev' and Joe T on Sunday mornings, the non-SCR output post 7pm and Mike Powell on Sun pm, that just leaves us with about 75% of the weekday schedule to go for correction and improvement?:D:D

Anybody able to verify whether my experience of DannyBoy's new show today was typical of the new output in this slot?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Out in the motor' (as my late uncle from Norfolk used to say) just after 10 today so got my first listen to DannyBoy.

Well, I found him reasonably listen-to-able in this 10 - 10.45 slot which I heard him. You now get 'Music and Conversation' I think he called it and it certainly did seem very much less 'in your face' arrogant and 'I know best, even if I don't' than what we got used to from the incumbent of this slot for nearly 3 yrs post Apr '06. (OK, in case of any pedants, it was post 9 am to start with).

This was my one and only bit of research so far as, like Ginger and I suspect many others, I am Radio 4 between 7.30 and 9.00 now due to SCR.

Perhaps I was lucky today as he was doing a serious couple of interviews about being falsely accused of rape. They did obviously try and get 3 sensible people in or on the phone to be interviewed - and none of them had a book to plug. It was an interesting bit of radio which kept my attention (and how often have we been able to say that re SCR over recent years?).

Well, what with 'The Rev' and Joe T on Sunday mornings, the non-SCR output post 7pm and Mike Powell on Sun pm, that just leaves us with about 75% of the weekday schedule to go for correction and improvement?:D:D

Anybody able to verify whether my experience of DannyBoy's new show today was typical of the new output in this slot?

Well, I have to confess I did listen to some of this(10 mins possibly). Caroline Flints ... Gordo is a sexist interview on Womans Hr had been heavily trounced (according to the news) by an interview on Ghastly Morning TV (GMTV)... (Who on earth watches that nonsense), Five live reached new levels of dumbness this morning, but then again I find the 10 am presenter infuriatingly dull) so I channel hopped. The Presenter on SCR actually asked some intelligent questions (WOW).. but in the end it was just two polarised views and achieved nothing. A bit like Prime Ministers questions.. but in this case there was debate rather than tractor stats and delusional denial from the great leader)

Can't say I will listen again, but it was infinitely better than the usual utterly dull breakfast show (lower case is deliberate, it doesn't deserve highlighting) style of questioning...

I tuned into BBC7 (digital radio) tonight and heard Roy Race and My Music. I even got the Chopin question right, delightful stuff that reminds one how radio ought to be, but isn't any more, I even remembered the voice of the guy on the panel who was so up himself but I don't remember his name...
    Oh and before they broadcast tomorrow night I predict I'm Sorry I havent a clue will be rubbish, not difficult to predict without the maestro at the helm.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    I have listened to Danny Pike's morning slot a few times since he arrived at BBC Sussex/Surrey. Doing quite a good job I would say as he begins to impose his own style on the previous format. He is more in keeping with modern man than the rather outdated traits of the previous incumbent.

Would also give high marks to the early morning show with Ben Kerrigan. At that time of the morning I cannot take too much talk. Ben's mixture of music and information with good local travel news, the morning papers,and sometimes gossip is very pleasing to my ear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On my brief dip into Surrey Breakfast for the travel I learned she is away this week so all you AF fans will have to do without her uniquely professional and award winning brand of radio entertainment.

Joe T, supersub, will be behing the mike for the 1pm slot this week apparently, though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On my brief dip into Surrey Breakfast for the travel I learned she is away this week so all you AF fans will have to do without her uniquely professional and award winning brand of radio entertainment.

Joe T, supersub, will be behind the mike for the 1pm slot this week apparently, though.

It sounds like the IRAQ war inquiry will be held under the same conditions as the SCR changes in 2006. In camera (secret) with no consideration for anyone else's point of view... and reporting far to late for anything to be done about it or any of the fallout to be nuclear.
    Oh and let's not forget the make up of the panel. The IRAQ enquiry includes Lawrence Freedman who advised Blair on the liberal interventionism speech in Chicago (according to a blog I just read..) Deja vu anyone?

BTW PP i was not tempted by Joe today. The subject matter on the afternoon show is beyond listening to. A carrier wave would be preferable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    BTW PP i was not tempted by Joe today. The subject matter on the afternoon show is beyond listening to. A carrier wave would be preferable.[/QUOTE]

your a harsh person gf!! leave jt alone..he cant help the rubbish he is told to present ....at least he does it in his own, excellent style;);)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And to be fair, JoeT does host the gardening show Dig-It on Sun a.m. where they don't seem to have any particular difficulty in attracting a constant streem of calllers over a 3 hr period.

They give out the phone and text nos. every now and then, though frankly I don't think they really need to. You could almost be forgiven for thinking that that show contains subject matter that could perhaps be regarded as popular?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder whats happened to Sarah Kennedy? At the moment she doesnt seem to be able to manage a whole 5 days. We've been treated to Aled Jones instead this week. Pleasant but not quite the same. Altogether rather too much music but the alternatives don't bear thinking about.

Unless it was JR.... ah thems were the days.
  • Options
    .Janet..Janet. Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    I see that Dom is listed on the Radio Leeds website doing the evening show from next Tuesday. He was also on last night and, as there is now an updated profile page on their website www.bbc.co.uk/leeds/content/articles/2009/05/12/radio_leeds_presenter_busby_feature.shtml, it looks like he may have a permanent job there now.
  • Options
    .Janet..Janet. Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    I'll add to my last posting that Dom should still be presenting the Saturday Sports Show on Solent through the summer. My other half tells me the football season starts on 8 Aug, so I think Dom will be on until 1 Aug 09
  • Options
    NathanNathan Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must say how much more I have enjoyed sussex drive since peter stewart (is that the right spelling?) has been presenting the show, he just seems completely natural, enjoying what he is doing, rather than Sarah G, who always sounds like she is following a format and very clinical.

Any way what is the point of Sarah G presenting this show as she spends more time off than actually presenting it!

P.S he definately sounds like Paul Mckenna !
  • Options
    Robert WilliamsRobert Williams Posts: 2,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nathan wrote: »
    I must say how much more I have enjoyed sussex drive since peter stewart (is that the right spelling?) has been presenting the show, he just seems completely natural, enjoying what he is doing, rather than Sarah G, who always sounds like she is following a format and very clinical.
    Peter Stewart often reads the news on Surrey Drive, and he certainly has a distinctive way of reading the news, as if he's trying to turn it into his own show. He presented Surrey Breakfast one morning when it snowed and I think he does sound more at home in the role of presenter than newsreader.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cannot quite work out the rationale employed by SCR as regards presenters / producers / newsreaders etc.

Jane Vickers who seemed to be being tried out as a presenter when she first arrived seems to have been reduced to producing now. I hardly listen to any of Sussex breakfast (even when I get down into Sussex) but it seems she's taken over Laynee's role on Sussex breakfast now?

That Simon Jenkins (who also does that Buzz newsletter thingy) has been on a bit this week and he sounds very pleasant and competent also.

Caught Roger Day from about 7.30 last night and what an excellent show that is (OK, I don't like country but the bit before 9 was excellent). Now, remind me, where does his show come from.....?:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot quite work out the rationale employed by SCR as regards presenters / producers / newsreaders etc.

Jane Vickers who seemed to be being tried out as a presenter when she first arrived seems to have been reduced to producing now. I hardly listen to any of Sussex breakfast (even when I get down into Sussex) but it seems she's taken over Laynee's role on Sussex breakfast now?

That Simon Jenkins (who also does that Buzz newsletter thingy) has been on a bit this week and he sounds very pleasant and competent also.

Caught Roger Day from about 7.30 last night and what an excellent show that is (OK, I don't like country but the bit before 9 was excellent). Now, remind me, where does his show come from.....?:D

You cant work it out PP? I dont think anyone can. I still cannot understand the raison d'etre why 4 great presenters were culled and replaced resulting in a huge ratings dive?
    Since then they've been shuffling the deckhairs and none of it works. The problem of course is so Gordon Brownesque, the inability to admit that a mistake was made.

Since I left SCR I have found very interesting programmes on R4 and BBC 7

To name just a few...Last word, Law in Action, Book at Bedtime, The Today programme , The Week in Westminster, The Westminster hour, Making History, The Money Programme, Moneyboxlive Sailing by ;) etc etc

BBC7 is also excellent with a varied output of great programmes from the past that stand the test of time

Radio 4 is for those who want their thought processes to work. SCR makes by brain emulsify...I dont dig it, I dont think I'll ever dig it again, even with the good presenters, I am constantly reminded about how a really good station was brought so low.

Still with the goods news from Janet about Dom, and Radders on Splash, there is stuff to listen to if not entirely local to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    .Janet. wrote: »
    I'll add to my last posting that Dom should still be presenting the Saturday Sports Show on Solent through the summer. My other half tells me the football season starts on 8 Aug, so I think Dom will be on until 1 Aug 09

How interesting, Janet. Thank you. I have been listening live to Dom. He sounds back to his top form and he is beg putting his stamp on the programme. It is really great to hear him again. I feel so happy when I can hear him. We can now hear Dom, John and Bill so let's hope that we are able to catch-up with Bill soon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    Hevwil wrote: »
    How interesting, Janet. Thank you. I have been listening live to Dom. He sounds back to his top form and he is beg putting his stamp on the programme. It is really great to hear him again. I feel so happy when I can hear him. We can now hear Dom, John and Bill so let's hope that we are able to catch-up with Bill soon.

Do you mean 'Ed' Hevwil? :)
  • Options
    RidgiemanRidgieman Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nathan wrote: »

Any way what is the point of Sarah G presenting this show as she spends more time off than actually presenting it!

P.S he definately sounds like Paul Mckenna !

I agree Peter is an excellent presenter and deserves a permanaent slot on the schedule. I remember listening to him on Mercury's Weekend of a Thousand Hits in the 90's. I think he was head of news at one point there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ridgieman wrote: »
    I agree Peter is an excellent presenter and deserves a permanaent slot on the schedule. I remember listening to him on Mercury's Weekend of a Thousand Hits in the 90's. I think he was head of news at one point there.

I am past the point of thinking who (presenterwise) might create a new station worth listening to, there might be the odd show, but as far as I am concerned, I cant think of a single reason why I would actively want to tune in.

From someone who used to listen to SCR almost exclusively, thats bad news for the station IMHO. Picking bits and pieces of a station that are worth listening to isnt going to help the station, it needs devoted listeners, like they had pre Aprill 2006. Where are they now? and whats happened to the RAJAR stats since.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm thinking of a new game... "Where in the world is Ed Douglas?". Its a bit like call my bluff except that none of the stories are true. The winner is the one who can tell the most plausible story without having any verifiable facts. Extra points are awarded if you plausibly fit in references to flying-badgers or jaunts into the paddy fields.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member

Yes, I do. I am glad that somebody knows what I am talking about! I often wonder what became of Ed and would love to hear him again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mike Powell had Ed on his Sunday afternoon show in about Apr or was it May last year under a "where are they now" heading and a few people were able to speak with him as I recall.

I suspect he might be broadcasting on the Chelsea matchday station, doing his tours and also his party organising? Sadly I have no nor do I know of anyone else who has any inside info - nor indeed any information at all - to confirm what Ed is doing now.

Missing in action indeed. My how I'd rather have his show back for Surrey breakfast, with a traffic person in a 'pod' in Godstone control centre instead of (the otherwise likeable) poor Ben K going out into the carpark at 08.40 to read a thermometer.

Grrrr why did those on the Mismanagement committee down in SCR Towers in Brighton have to ruin things quite so badly back in Apr '06??:mad::mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grrrr why did those on the Mismanagement committee down in SCR Towers in Brighton have to ruin things quite so badly back in Apr '06??:mad::mad:

There is a proposition that, in any organisation, people are promoted to their level of incompetence. This is because once you have proved you are incompetent in a position you won't get promoted any more. If you are still being promoted then you obviously haven't reached that position.

You could be shown to be too incompetent in a position and then get a demotion but usually what happens is that levels of management fill up with incompetent people... with the occasional rising star filtering through the ranks.

I'll leave it up to the reader to judge if any of that has happened at SCR.

So, if anyone still listens for more than a few minutes of the day, do you think they've bottomed out yet or have the gone from hyper-active to doom-laden? Hows the Danny working out? Have they got new jingles or are listeners still delighting in Radiotraffic?

Why am I bothered...? Answers to the question on the back of £10 to the usual address.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a proposition that, in any organisation, people are promoted to their level of incompetence. This is because once you have proved you are incompetent in a position you won't get promoted any more. If you are still being promoted then you obviously haven't reached that position.

You could be shown to be too incompetent in a position and then get a demotion but usually what happens is that levels of management fill up with incompetent people... with the occasional rising star filtering through the ranks.

I'll leave it up to the reader to judge if any of that has happened at SCR.

So, if anyone still listens for more than a few minutes of the day, do you think they've bottomed out yet or have the gone from hyper-active to doom-laden? Hows the Danny working out? Have they got new jingles or are listeners still delighting in Radiotraffic?

Why am I bothered...? Answers to the question on the back of £10 to the usual address.

A tenner BS. That's OTT. I could only send you greetings, as I havent listened to a syllable for a fair while. Others will have to say whether the station has improved. I have my doubts because there has never (IMHO) been any form of comprehension of what went wrong in April 2006, why it went wrong, who was responsible, and how it can be fixed.

Until then, I'll remain on R4 ....Law in action today was superb. Do you know LEGALLY who owns your body? It isnt you BS.....
This discussion has been closed.