Black and white movies on Xmas TV - where are they?

124»

Comments

• Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a dedicated film channel , it was called The Movie Channel.
    Part of the problem with satellite at the time was that BSB had signed up with several movie companies and Sky had signed up the rest so viewers of both services were being denied access to some studios films .
    That was one benefit of the merger as all studios films became available although squarial viewers still only got 1 film channel while TMC soon became available to Sky viewers too

You could have continued to use your squarial for at least another 2 years but only to watch 5 channels .
    Sky One replaced the great Galaxy Channel but it did mean that squarial owners could enjoy the far superior quality of the D-MAC system over Sky's crappy analogue PAL .
    BSB were offering digital quality before full digital.

But by 1992 anyone using the BSB dish will have been offered a switch before the Marcopolo satellite was switched off .

I already had a motorised system but whenever I recorded from Sky One I always used the BSB gear for the picture quality

Yes we got the deal, we needed a new aerial and receiver but got free all channels from Sky for a year.
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really find it hard to believe that people would not watch a film based on the fact it is in b&w.
    Would anyone know if any research has been done or is it a myth?
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don;t have any stats, but apparently it's correct! I regularly listen to The FIlm Programme (BBC radio 4), they've discussed why old films don;t get shown on tv, and this is one of the primary reasons. They had a scheduler on, who said so.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,193
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    I don;t have any stats, but apparently it's correct! I regularly listen to The FIlm Programme (BBC radio 4), they've discussed why old films don;t get shown on tv, and this is one of the primary reasons. They had a scheduler on, who said so.

I am sure that it is mostly the under 35's who don't like black and white films, but the powers that be should remember that there is a big TV audience of over 35's who probably spend a lot more time in front of the box.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you, spiney2 . If that was the primary reason
    did they mention any others.?
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    balthasar wrote: »
    I really find it hard to believe that people would not watch a film based on the fact it is in b&w.

I don't care about the colour, but from my experience, a large number of black and white films simply haven't aged well. The acting is hammy, plots are contrived and would be slaughtered in today's age, and worst of all - the bloody accents! Almost every single person speaks in RP, and that puts me off more than anything else, it's so ludicrously unrealistic as it removes so much personality from the performance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    I don't care about the colour, but from my experience, a large number of black and white films simply haven't aged well. The acting is hammy, plots are contrived and would be slaughtered in today's age, and worst of all - the bloody accents! Almost every single person speaks in RP, and that puts me off more than anything else, it's so ludicrously unrealistic as it removes so much personality from the performance.

That's rather a sweeping statement.

I've already admitted to there being some good and bad films of every era.

Part of the appreciation of understanding old films is a recognition that they are "of their time" and in many ways are a reflection of values, politics and attitudes current when they were made.
    Some also had to conform to the "Hays Code" which made severe restrictions on what could be shown, so by comparison with contemporary films, they could be thought as rather tame.

This was with what movie makers had to contend from the early thirties for three decades for films shown in the USA.

General Principles

1. No picture shall be produced that will lower the moral standards of those who see it. Hence the sympathy of the audience should never be thrown to the side of crime, wrongdoing, evil or sin.

2. Correct standards of life, subject only to the requirements of drama and entertainment, shall be presented.

3. Law, natural or human, shall not be ridiculed, nor shall sympathy be created for its violation.

Particular Applications

I. Crimes Against the Law
    These shall never be presented in such a way as to throw sympathy with the crime as against law and justice or to inspire others with a desire for imitation.

1. Murder

a. The technique of murder must be presented in a way that will not inspire imitation.

b. Brutal killings are not to be presented in detail.

c. Revenge in modern times shall not be justified.

2. Methods of Crime should not be explicitly presented.

a. Theft, robbery, safe-cracking, and dynamiting of trains, mines, buildings, etc., should not be detailed in method.

b. Arson must subject to the same safeguards.

c. The use of firearms should be restricted to the essentials.

d. Methods of smuggling should not be presented.

3. Illegal drug traffic must never be presented.

4. The use of liquor in American life, when not required by the plot or for proper characterization, will not be shown.

II. Sex
    The sanctity of the institution of marriage and the home shall be upheld. Pictures shall not infer that low forms of sex relationship are the accepted or common thing.

1. Adultery, sometimes necessary plot material, must not be explicitly treated, or justified, or presented attractively.

2. Scenes of Passion

a. They should not be introduced when not essential to the plot.

b. Excessive and lustful kissing, lustful embraces, suggestive postures and gestures, are not to be shown.

c. In general passion should so be treated that these scenes do not stimulate the lower and baser element.

3. Seduction or Rape

a. They should never be more than suggested, and only when essential for the plot, and even then never shown by explicit method.

b. They are never the proper subject for comedy.

4. Sex perversion or any inference to it is forbidden.

5. White slavery shall not be treated.

6. Miscegenation (sex relationships between the white and black races) is forbidden.

7. Sex hygiene and venereal diseases are not subjects for motion pictures.

8. Scenes of actual child birth, in fact or in silhouette, are never to be presented.

9. Children's sex organs are never to be exposed.

III. Vulgarity
    The treatment of low, disgusting, unpleasant, though not necessarily evil, subjects should always be subject to the dictates of good taste and a regard for the sensibilities of the audience.

IV. Obscenity
    Obscenity in word, gesture, reference, song, joke, or by suggestion (even when likely to be understood only by part of the audience) is forbidden.

V. Profanity
    Pointed profanity (this includes the words, God, Lord, Jesus, Christ - unless used reverently - Hell, S.O.B., damn, Gawd), or every other profane or vulgar expression however used, is forbidden.

VI. Costume
    1. Complete nudity is never permitted. This includes nudity in fact or in silhouette, or any lecherous or licentious notice thereof by other characters in the picture.

2. Undressing scenes should be avoided, and never used save where essential to the plot.

3. Indecent or undue exposure is forbidden.

4. Dancing or costumes intended to permit undue exposure or indecent movements in the dance are forbidden.

VII. Dances
    1. Dances suggesting or representing sexual actions or indecent passions are forbidden.

2. Dances which emphasize indecent movements are to be regarded as obscene.

VIII. Religion
    1. No film or episode may throw ridicule on any religious faith.

2. Ministers of religion in their character as ministers of religion should not be used as comic characters or as villains.

3. Ceremonies of any definite religion should be carefully and respectfully handled.

IX. Locations
    The treatment of bedrooms must be governed by good taste and delicacy.

X. National Feelings
    1. The use of the Flag shall be consistently respectful.

2. The history, institutions, prominent people and citizenry of other nations shall be represented fairly.

XI. Titles
    Salacious, indecent, or obscene titles shall not be used.

XII. Repellent Subjects
    The following subjects must be treated within the careful limits of good taste:
    1. Actual hangings or electrocutions as legal punishments for crime.
    2. Third degree methods.
    3. Brutality and possible gruesomeness.
    4. Branding of people or animals.
    5. Apparent cruelty to children or animals.
    6. The sale of women, or a woman selling her virtue.
    7. Surgical operations.

Must of that is "out of the window and beyond the horizon" now, but you could argue that some of the restrictions should be brought back.

But in my opinion, some of the fifty or more year old classics have stood the test of time far longer than will some so called worthwhile contemporary films.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    Indeed!!! Not far removed from Harry Enfield's mocking of Pathe news and Public Information films: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39qdhbkTko4
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I try to understand but a few black & white films at Christmas.
    With RP at least when a woman told you she loved you she
    meant it . and then you hopefully came back after doing something
    heroic to have to say that ginger did not make it. And she still
    loved you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For general entertainment for many, you can't beat the time honoured plot formula.

"Boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl."
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some also had to conform to the "Hays Code" which made severe restrictions on what could be shown, so by comparison with contemporary films, they could be thought as rather tame.

This was with what movie makers had to contend from the early thirties for three decades for films shown in the USA.

Must of that is "out of the window and beyond the horizon" now, but you could argue that some of the restrictions should be brought back.

I have to strongly disagree.

Films should do one of two things - either transport you to another world or create an accurate representation of real-life. In my opinion, many B&W films fail to do this. Obviously the first one is a technological limitation, but the second is largely because of the need to 'hold back' and hide elements of real-life from the viewing public, no matter how gritty they may be.

This might not be a valid comparison, but for me it's like how punk rock and heavy-metal came in the aftermath of the hippy movement. They're all singing about peace and free love, but Thatcher was crippling the working man and a whole generation were losing their lives in Vietnam - people were angry, and they needed a new type of music to express themselves.

In my opinion, a lot of B&W films are just too divorced from the realities of the time due to the restrictive censorship.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,193
    Forum Member

In my opinion, a lot of B&W films are just too divorced from the realities of the time due to the restrictive censorship.

I love to get away from reality when I am watching a film. Which is why I love the films of the '30's, '40's and '50's, and never go to the cinema these days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Films should do one of two things - either transport you to another world or create an accurate representation of real-life. In my opinion, many B&W films fail to do this. Obviously the first one is a technological limitation, but the second is largely because of the need to 'hold back' and hide elements of real-life from the viewing public, no matter how gritty they may be.

This might not be a valid comparison, but for me it's like how punk rock and heavy-metal came in the aftermath of the hippy movement. They're all singing about peace and free love, but Thatcher was crippling the working man and a whole generation were losing their lives in Vietnam - people were angry, and they needed a new type of music to express themselves.

Hang on! You can't "disagree" with the Hayes Code.
    It was there and all studios had to conform by the rules, it was amazing that they got the films out with those sort of restrictions, but they did and were very inventive in some of the ways they did it. That's why there were some excellent plots by well known writers, as the films were "narrative based" with some excellent stories, you often have to use your brain as not everything is spelled out for you..

I think the classics were very much of their time, that being WW2, both the lead up, the effect of the war on relationships and the aftermath. Some films were actually "flag wavers." Others were deliberately made to help the general public get away from the drudgery and hardship felt by many. People really didn't believe life was really like that, it was a bit of fantasy, like Rogers and Astaire for example.

Film Noir dealt with its era particularly well.

So overall I think the old films did reflect the attitudes and situations of the time.
  • STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member

But that's the opinion of one scheduler. It would be interesting to hear other schedulers views across the terrestrial platform on the subject of showing old B/W films. This scheduler was probably some young, overpaid graduate who simply doesn't understand the appeal of these timeless classics, which is a shame and bit worrying for future generations who may never be given much chance to watch the old films on TV like many of us in our 30's and probably 20's did when we were younger.

I for one have been a huge fan of the old B/W films since I was about 12. I only got into them after watching them on BBC2 in the early mornings before I went to school and ever since I was hooked. In fact ever since I've been eagerly keeping an eye on the schedules each week to see if there are any old gems on to watch. It's sadly very rare there is these days. BBC2 used to be my favourite channel for these old B/W films in particular with their regular Laurel & Hardy double bills, Abbott and Costello comedies, Buster Keaton, Chaplin and other old comedy classics being shown regularly especially during the half term, summer and Christmas holiday breaks. These films and other old B/W films used to dominate their schedules most mornings, long before the days of CBBC and CBeebies.

In fact, BBC2 often became quite unpredicatable in the 80's and much of the 90's for it's sudden change from one week to the next. One week they would show a documentary at say 6pm and the following week they would stick on an old B/W western or comedy in the same slot. Where as nowadays each and every week has the same programmes, especially in daytime which rarely changes week by week. That was what I used to love about BBC2, but now you pretty much always expect the same old programmes ''filling'' the schedules. And yes filling as in fillers which is essentially what these programmes appear to be.

Which leads me on to my little rant regarding schedulers' disregard for the old B/W films. They seem to think showing repeats of daytime programmes like Open Gardens, Animal Park, Car Booty etc etc appealing. So who cares they may get better ratings than an old B/W film. This is where the likes of the BBC are going wrong. They care far too deeply about their precious ratings. Forget about treating viewers to something different, experimenting here and there with it's schedules. Oh no, ''the same old tacky programme fillers get good ratings so we must show these this week'', apears to be the way schedulers think these days which is just plain ridiculous. Yet American TV have lots of old B/W films on their TV channels. It's so annoying and really quite upsetting to think schedulers are planning their schedules in this way.

Another annoying thing about the BBC2 schedules is they currently show CBBC from 6am until 11.30am every week day morning. In the good old days CBBC was strictly only shown from 7am till 9am during school term time, yet BBC2 seem to dedicate almost all of it's entire morning schedule to kids cartoons and programming which is just plain overkill. It's really no wonder BBC2 has lost it's identity in recent years with schedules like this. It wouldn't harm them to show a couple of old B/W films from 9am each weekday morning, but oh no they care solely about their precious ratings these days so they will never do that :mad:

I really hope the situation changes in the coming years, especially as the DSO takes hold in 2012. But I'm sure today's young schedulers will think of something else to fill the gaps than to show some old B/W film from the 1930's. I'm sure repeats of Horizon or Top Gear will fill BBC2's morning schedules come 2012 :)

It's a shame, all we can do is hope the BBC hire new, old school schedulers in the future. Perhaps then things may change back to how they where. But sadly I fear those days of old B/W films dominating the morning and afternoon schedules a long distant memory. I hope I'm proved wrong.
  • grahamcrowdengrahamcrowden Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    balthasar wrote: »

One such person has posted on this thread.

Part of the enjoyment of any film is that they take you to the era they were made - depending on the film of course.

Would be a bit stupid if a film set in 1950 had all the teens saying everything was "wicked".

But I guess its typical of the modern audience that they can't get past such unimportant superficial things.

Watching an old film means realistic dialogue of the time.
    Why would you possibly have a problem with that?
  • STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member

Part of the enjoyment of any film is that they take you to the era they were made - depending on the film of course.

Would be a bit stupid if a film set in 1950 had all the teens saying everything was "wicked".

But I guess its typical of the modern audience that they can't get past such unimportant superficial things.

If you ask me, kids are catored for far too much. I wish schedulers would cator for old film fans more than they currently do, if only a couple of times a week.
  • grahamcrowdengrahamcrowden Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    STEVE 03 wrote: »
    If you ask me, kids are catored for far too much. I wish schedulers would cator for old film fans more than they currently do, if only a couple of times a week.

Although it is clear that a large part of the audience seem to be retarded these days I think the broadcasters overestimate the size of that demographic.

A few carefully selected films and tv series in B&W would show them there are viewers who enjoy the content regardless of the superficial gloss that some others need.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1.. pop videos in b&w
    2, The Wizard of Oz where does that fit in..

Pretty soon someone will start on the type of colour next.
    Or ratio or print or,,,,,,
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

BIB as we don't actually know what their objections are to Black and White films it's a bit of a leap to say anything is 'typical'

There are people who've grown up with Colour TV only and have 50-60 years of Colour films to watch, that's before you get into the made for TV movies.
    Maybe they simply find B&W grating, you'll find people on here who find 'incorrect' screen resolutions, pan and scan, letter box, anamorphic widescreen, etc grating and/or unwatchable.

Maybe those who don't/won't watch B&W find it equally grating and with multiple channels, VHS, DVD, PVR's etc, they don't persevere with something they find grating and take another option.

I don't like musicals, there are only 2 musicals worth watching IMO, Blues Brothers and Bugsy Malone.
    No doubt if I watched more than 5 minutes of enough musicals, I could find another that I'd like, but with at least 50 hours of stuff on my hard drives and PVR, what's on TV every week, I've decide I can write off musicals and leave more time for everything else.
    That said, if Mike Leigh does a musical, I'll watch it at least twice.

As for realistic dialogue in old/B&W films, where were all the 'realistic' non-RP speaking characters, the regional accents in British films?
    Something lead to Kitchen sink drama/realism.