Options

Car Electrics Warning Light

ChateauMarmontChateauMarmont Posts: 2,373
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey guys

My sisters car has been in our garage for six weeks until I passed my driving test, it's been started up twice a week that whole time to make sure the battery is ok and the cars never had a problem before.

Today (after taxing and insuring it) I took it out to my friends for a half hour drive each way. Come home, get in the car last night and after about a mile that light starts flashing and the car won't go above 30mph.

Took it back home, Dad disconnected the battery and when we do that the light goes off for about five minutes then comes back on. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Comments

• Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like "limp mode"

Take it to a garage to be computer checked. They will be able to tell you what the fault is.

Also, it would help if you described the light or give us a pic. There are a lot of lights on a dash board
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't really describe the light other than it looks kind of like a tap maybe?

I did google it and it's an electrics warning light but no idea which area of the electrics
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I did google it and it's an electrics warning light but no idea which area of the electrics
    What car?
    Take a look at this pic and see if the light is on there
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's number 62 - Engines/Emissions warning.

And the car is a Citroen C2
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's number 62 - Engines/Emissions warning.

And the car is a Citroen C2
    Engine Management light. Could be an oil or fuel filter or dirty oil. Could be something simple. Could be a turbo. With that light it could be anything.

Engine management is why it's going into limp mode.

Take it to a local mechanic who is skilled in Citroen/French cars.

Try not to go to main dealers, they will stitch you with high costs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep that's the problem, were a bit unsure as to why when you disconnect the battery it works for a short while then stops again!

Anyway we're taking it to our local garage in the morning which will hopefully determine the fault
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had similar problem with my Pug 308 (same car/engine) and it was an emissions sensor. Fixed for £30
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a little service and once over will probably be a good idea since the winters on its way

also get your tyres checked and possibly replace the wiper blades
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing to note with Citroen/Peugeot cars.....

There is a set procedure for disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, failure to follow this procedure can cause all sorts of problems if you are unlucky.
    This procedure is called "the 3 minute rule" Google it!

Your local garage may be able to do a diagnostic check, but the best equipment for Citroen/Peugeot diagnostics is Lexia for Citroen and Diagbox/PP2000 for Peugeot. I have this special diagnostic equipment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member

You must have some odd looking taps in you house!

It looks more to me like an engine. Cos that's what it's a picture of!
  • Options
    icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like sensor .Mine was £100 diagnosis and 20 quid job to sort it .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it's been to the garage this morning.

It's the coil packs that need replacing. And possibly the crank sensor too (I think that's what he said). The coil packs were actually replaced in June but we can't get the car to the garage it was fixed at unfortunately.

At least it'll be fixed today!