Protecting our Parents (BBC2)

2»

Comments

• angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Pritchard, who was featured with his wife Jean and daughter Sue last night, sadly passed away just before Christmas.

Both my in-laws needed to go into a care home at the same time. My father in law had Alzheimers and my mother in law has dementia. We'd already sold their bungalow and moved them into an rented apartment opposite where we lived so I could look after them, do their shopping, cook their meals, take them to appointments etc. After two bad falls, it was decided that the time had come to move them into a home that provided 24 hour care for patients with dementia. Having sold the bungalow already and therefore access to the their savings was a positive in the choice of home. We are very blessed (and I don't use that word lightly) that we found a home with two single rooms to go into. It is such a lovely home, the staff are caring, keep us in the loop, welcome us when we visit, know which of the family really has the fingers on the pulse of what my mother in lawn needs, there's entertainment, a hairdresser (who I'd happily use), lovely menus, birthday teas on residents birthdays, and it's affordable. Sadly my father in law passed away just six months after moving in, but he was a very poorly man.

I do believe the Government/NHS/families are woefully under prepared for the dementia epidemic that lies in wait.

If anybody lives in Birmingham and is looking a for a care home, please PM me and I will give you the name of a private company that will talk to you about the specific needs and finances you have and try to find appropriate homes for you to look at. They will pick you up and take you. There is no charge to you. It was set up by a local doctor who saw families having to find homes for relatives but just did not know where to start. Can't recommend it highly enough.
  • CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In France for example children are almost wholly legally responsible for their aged parents today, financially as well as providing their care and it's tough luck if you don't like your parents.

A few years ago I read an article which covered this point. Familes were calling an ambulance for their elderly relatives, getting them admitted to hospital (presumably by describing symptoms that required tests) and then going off on holiday. They would then collect their relative from hospital upon their return!

MY OH and I will be in big trouble as we have no children and no young relatives nearby. Indeed on both sides of the family only one of three siblings has children (both our sisters). On my side I have an unmarried brother and on my OH's side his brother is married but childless.

I must admit don't take very good care of myself being both overweight and enjoying a drink. I'm obviously not thrilled at the prospect of getting sick and dying but the thought of living into very old age is extremely frightening. I am praying that euthanasia is legalised in my lifetime.
  • Ess_BeeEss_Bee Posts: 7,716
    Forum Member
    She should have left all her worldly goods to an animal charity instead of ungrateful stepsons!
  • Ess_BeeEss_Bee Posts: 7,716
    Forum Member
    My friend, who's worked in hospitals, says it's the awkward mouthy patients who get the best treatment! Always speak up for yourself. I know poor Evelyn couldn't help how she was but glad that she ended up in a better place for all concerned.